BinAural beat.

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi all

      about 6 months ago I came acrossed a web article about entraining your
      own brain waves using a tone generator.

      by listening to these tones you were/are supposed to be able to
      achieve states of alertness or calmness or whatever. [able to leap
      tall buildings at a single bound... etc, etc]. As per normal, I was
      skeptical... but the price for it was right, so... what the heck.

      Below is the first paragraph from the web site.
      Welcome to the world of Binaural Beats!

      The theory behind binaural beats is that if you apply slightly
      different frequency sine waves to each ear, a beating affect is
      created in the brain itself, due to the brain's internal wiring. If,
      in the presence of these tones, you relax and let your mind go, your
      mind will naturally synchronize with the beat frequency. In this way
      it is possible to tune the frequency of your brain waves to particular
      frequencies that you have selected, using of the four bands: Delta -
      deep sleep, Theta - dreaming and intuitive stuff, Alpha - awake,
      focussed inside, Beta - awake, focussed outside.
      The stuff is easy to use but does require two channel ear plugs.
      The ones I use came with the IBM laptop I'm using. They're just the
      kind you hang in your ear - no head phones - made by Sony, and
      relatively cheap. [couple of dollars??]

      I played around with it for a couple of days but didn't notice any
      super-powers making themselves evident... so I lost interest.

      An hour ago I thought about using this software to duplicate the Hum.
      I succeeded, at least to my satisfaction. It requires 'playing' two
      differnt 'files' at the same time. Something the program does just
      fine. In fact, it can play dozens of files all at the same time. That
      can produce some really weird effects, though.

      The URL to the web site is: http://uazu.net/sbagen/
      the software is free, downloadable, and easy to install. Or for those
      of you who are paranoid about running downloaded executables on your
      computer systems... the source code is available and you can make your
      own executable, if you have a compiler and the necessary skill. :)

      If anyone's interested in 'hearing' my approximation-to-the-hum files
      I'd be glad to email them to you. or post them for the entire
      group. [it's only a couple of lines of directions that the program
      reads and then 'plays']

      I could probably package the executable up and put it on the forum, if
      anyone is interested. I'm using Window Xp so that's what I'd be
      uploading. Or, I can email it to any individual who contacts me
      outside of the forum.

      One other thought. This might be a way for people to block the hum
      too. The program can create .wav files, and they offer a file that
      will create a 'river' sound. Or you could possibly create a file
      that's pleasant to you and which blocks the hum.

      bob
      Sacramento/CA