Re: HUM_FORUM: Two Hums/color hearing

  • Selene
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 30, 2005
      Just wanted to add:  maybe the "transduction method" you've been looking for is synaesthesia.  ~ Carole

      Selene <ccarrike@...> wrote:
      OK, so here's another question.  Does your "hearing" of colors come only from light, or do you also "hear" the color of, for example, a red piece of construction paper?  From what you've said, it sounds as though it comes from the light energy itself, at different wavelengths.

      Since you confirmed for me that light waves and radio waves are the same type of energy, just at different wavelengths, my thought is that maybe the rest of us are hearing this same energy, but at non-visible wavelengths.  Could be radio, x-ray, ultraviolet, or something else.  Bill Curry, what do you think of this?

      ~ Carole

      "KD7JYK, 49H7KR" <kd7jyk@...> wrote:
      "Kurt, if you close your eyes in bright sunlight, you probably see red."

      I should hope so!  If I still see it after I die, I'll let you know!

      "Does that make a different sound than the stoplights?"

      I never made the effort to notice, I will do so tomarrow.

      "Or does all red create the same sounds."

      Differend red lights create different tones unless they are very close to the same wavelength.  I find 660nm the most pleasing of all which is 25nm from pure red.  I even convert most indicators and lighting in my equipment to this color.  I find yellow and green very annoying and blue just flat out hurts.  I have an emergency light used by the railroad.  I thought it would make a nice night light.  It operates on a six volt lantern battery and is not very bright.  I hung it on my wall turned on and found myslef very uncomfortable, tossing and turning, sweating and feeling very poorly.  I tossed off the blankets and the skin on my back began to burn.  I turned off the small blue light and everything was fine.  I contacted the manufacturer and ordered a red lense for it.  I liked the red nightlight, but the cost of batteries kept me from using it much.  My old workshop has lamps on the outside, such as a porchlight.  I converted them all with ruby glass.  I found the white light that shone through the vents still very annoying.

      "For instance, I've noticed that the windchimes on my back porch create a "liquid
      rainbow". "

      I have put in four windchimes on the front of the house.  I don't notice color, but I do find it pleasing and relaxing.  This is amazing as high pitched sounds usually piss me off quite thoroughly.

      Carole   (really not nuts...)

      I dunno..  the "liquid rainbow" thing is a little wierd... ; )

      Kurt

      Rosetta Proving Ground, Nevada
      Hell's Laboratory

      Posting Guidelines:

      1.  No personal attacks.  But reasoned criticism of
      ideas and theories is welcome.
      2.  No gratuitous profanity.
      3.  No "kook" posts.
      4.  Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.  In general, no more than three per person per day.
      5.  Please sign all posts with your location (city, state, country).

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 31 of 31 , May 4, 2005
        In a message dated 03/05/2005 17:24:06 GMT Daylight Time, e-ken@... writes:
        I've mentioned these same points to R.M. Jim but when confronted with data and logic
        that doesn't fit R.M.'s paradigm there is no response. To R. M., we who live in rural
        areas with NO OTHER POSSIBLE HUM SOURCE OTHER THAN EM are just ghosts to be
        ignored or lunatics to be taunted or perhaps suckers to sell some headphones to.

        I do hope that does not constitute a 'personal attack'. I do not sell headphones. I run a bona fide Helpline for Hum sufferers, and have no commercial involvement. If I recommend headphones (such as noise cancelling ones) then it is for a purely sympathetic and altruistic reason, not for monetray gain.
        All I can do is try to say what I feel is true,to try to help. Please at least have the courtesy to allow that. There is nothing wrong with people putting their points of view. We don't all have to agree, but what we need to do is remain polite, which is not the case in the message above from e-ken....it's not helpfulto resort to sarcasm.
        There may be several mechanisms involved here, but I am allowed to hold the view that most will be acoustic, if they are properly tested and tracked down, not just by assumptions...they need TESTING to show one way or the other what is going on.
         I spend a great deal of time helping people try various things to try not to go mad with their tormenting intrusive LFN noises.
        I have received many heartfelt , grateful letters from people who at last know they are not alone.
        But it still remains that in a democratic society, we are all allowed to put our points. If I don't agree with someone else's view, I can say so, politely. And I would appreciate others doing the same, and not resorting to anger or sarcasm, when their ideas are challenged.
        By the way, I see I have done more than 3 posts, apologies, but there is a backlog, and I don't think sarcasm should be aimed at me when I do try so hard to be reasonable and fair, offering lots of common sense ideas, which are in short supply, let's face it.
        R.M.     Southampton, England.