Re: HUM_FORUM: Masking the Hum Noise

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      In a message dated 01/03/2005 13:50:53 GMT Standard Time, profdeming@... writes:

      > It's getting to the point where I dread going to bed and I never get
      > any sleep anyway from the humming keeping me awake and miserable.
      >
      > Had some humming on and off today.  It's almost midnight so I should
      > get to bed, but I truly dread it !!
      >

      > Jenny
      > Anchorage, Alaska

      Jenny:

      If you have not already tried it, the standard method
      for sleeping with the Hum is to mask the noise with
      an ordinary electric fan.  I have a $10 20-inch box fan that
      I bought 2 years ago that works great.  I fastened a
      high-efficiency furnace filter to the back of it with duct
      tape, and now I have an inexpensive air filter.

      --David Deming
      Norman, Oklahoma
      That's similar to what I did !
      I used a small air-cleaner fan, whose sound just happened to be a pleasant 'hiss', and which partially masks low hums. The  standard filter soon 'ran out', and I wasn't going to keep paying out for more, so I use close-weave material as a filter.
      One has to be resourceful with this! I also strung the fan up from a hook in the ceiling, so its own slight hum did not transmit through a bedside table/cabinet into the bed.
      R.M.        Southampton, England.