Re: HUM_FORUM: What if...

  • KD7JYK
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
      Of the people who hear I don't think it's all in their heads either.  I also think many people don't look too hard for the hum and I think many more jump on a common theory bandwagon.  When I hear most humming I can track it down to a specific source, in fact the only hum I was never able to indentify was the one I recently contolled with the vitamins which indicated the source but not the specific cause.  At this point the only hum left for me to identify is the pole in the forest, only because I haven't researched the source yet.

      Kurt

      Rosetta Proving Ground, Nevada
      Hell's Laboratory
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2005
        In a message dated 01/02/2005 15:44:52 GMT Standard Time, kd7jyk@... writes:
        Do any two of us have the same hum in the same place at the same time?

        Kurt

        Rosetta Proving Ground, Nevada
        Hell's Laboratory
        That's a very good question. So often, we assume we are hearing the same sort of noise, only to find out later that another person is hearing something different.
        One recent case revealed just such a thing : the hearer, when asked to reproduce the sound, sang two notes, alternating like a police siren, plus a clicking effect,  which is not the 'classic' Hum effect, i.e., a constant very low note, like a diesel engine running at a constant speed in the distance.
        Others report a low hum, accompanied by a high pitched whistle, the latter I suspect is not acoustic, as high pitched sounds have to very loud at source to travel any distance, they are soon absorbed along the way, as opposed to low frequency sounds, which travel much further.
        The high pitched sounds I think may be tinnitus, (maybe triggered as a reaction of some sort to the lower note?), or some other phenomenon we do not yet understand.
        We need as many measurements as possible , of many different types,  at hearers' homes , to find any possible common links.
        R.M.       England.