Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: antenna terminology "skip"

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      In a message dated 29/02/2004 19:18:10 GMT Standard Time, hortonhearsahum@... writes:

      I think that the point to be made here is that:

      >     IF the offending sound source is acoustical, of low
      frequency, and
      >IF it external to a house, then it should be super-audible
      by "cupping
      >one's ear" to any exterior window or door...
      >

      >         Angelo Campanella

      Hi Folks,
      May I just echo the above , I agree.   I have listened to window panes in the house where I suffered most from the Hum, and from hearing a louder version of what I heard inside the room, I concluded that the Hum was (is ) acoustic. The transmission of LFN through a double glazed window I feel is a helpful thing to check, because it is cutting down higher frequencies,(the main function of double glazing, that is, reducing nearby noises e.g., neighbour noise, voices, etc. ),  so you can hear the lower ones more clearly. I would expect quite a good recording to be possible by placing a microphone directly onto the glass. The the typical frequencies could be detected easier....
      R.M.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
        In a message dated 01/03/2004 13:27:17 GMT Standard Time, sugarpineinc@... writes:

        I think that the point to be made here is
        >that:
        >>
        >>     IF the offending sound source is
        >acoustical, of low
        >frequency, and
        >>IF it external to a house, then it should be
        >super-audible
        >by "cupping
        >>one's ear" to any exterior window or door...
        >>

        >>         Angelo Campanella

        I agree 100%. I listened to our double-glazed windows in the house (Romsey, Hampshire, Southern England) , where I had such an awful time trying to live under the oppression of 'The Hum', and the LFN heard when my ear was pressed to the glass was very distinct, and the same pitch and character as the sound in the room/house. So I concluded from that , that it was acoustic, and that it must be fairly typical to many other Hums experienced  by hearers. I no longer live at that house (thank heavens!).... what I should have done was to listen at one side of the house, then at the opposite side, to see if there was any difference in volume. That way, an approximate  direction could be found.....one may assume ? Can any other present sufferers do this simple test, and write here what they find? It might help somehow....
        Best Wishes.
        R.M.