Re: HUM_FORUM: No Hum during Summer Heat Waves

  • Lindsay Ferreira
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 6, 2004
      Anne,

      That is very interesting and makes sense to me. It nice to have someone to talk to about this as we try to put the pieces together.

      Lindsay

      Anne wrote:
      Lindsay,

      Taos is a very nice place to get away to.

      At one time when I was there some of the Indians at the Pueblo discussed their believe on the hum.  I asked them questions about it, though I did not talk to any who had ever heard it.  It was their belief  that the humming was  there to make some  of the many people that had  moved into the area in recent years to leave.  They thought  some that were moving there was not supposed to be there.

      I think the Doppler radar system might cause some problems, but is not the main cause.  I do hear the hum strongly as storms move through here and I believe it to be the radar that is causing me to hear a hum when it comes and goes as the fronts move through.   Anne

      Hi Anne,

      Thanks for your thoughtful response. I live in the far northeast heights, off Tramway. My first post as 'ipreferthetruth' stated that I was wondering about the rumors of underground tunnels being the cause.  I beleive the sound is mechanical, or man-made. I ski in Toas every year, one of my favorite times is Christams Eve as the Toas Pueblo. I usually stay for several days at a time at a favorite bed and breakfast. I also visit Taos during the summer when I need to get away from the city. I have never heard the hum in Taos, or Santa Fe for that matter another favorite place of mine. I'm wondering after reading all these posts if the installation of the doplar radar weather system has something to do with the hum.

      I've tried tobypaws experiments of looking for electrical stations, listening in low lying areas, and the bottom line is the walls of my home are acting as some kind of amplification system, because that's the only place I hear it.

      I experience most of the symptoms other mention. It's very difficult.

      Take care,
      Lindsay

      Anne wrote:
      Hi Lindsay,

      I have had this exact same thing happen on several occasions.  I have also thought like you, that perhaps it could be monitored.

       I had a very bad experience with the hum somewhere near your location a few years back.  I tried to spend the night in the area somewhere near the air base there on the Interstate 40.  I lasted about an hour and had to leave.  Other than that, I have never heard the hum in western Albuquerque or to the north of the city.  I have not heard it in Santa Fe or Taos and I have spent quiet a lot of time in those areas, down through the years.

      I have been through many episodes with the hum.  At first,  I suffered alone with it, because I felt no one in my particular area could comprehend it.  I could not bring it up to anyone, except one close friend, who discussed it with her husband.  She said he told her if I was hearing a hum,  I was damn sure hearing something.  So I guess that was the first local support I had.   I left that stage into the stage where I was yelping like a buckshot coyote, when it got bad  because I wanted the whole world to know it, as I felt and still feel they are being affected more than they know, even though they don't hear it.   From here I am just taking it one day at a time, though I have  seriously looked at other areas to live and still am ,being torn from my roots, and they do run deep is not something I look forward to at this point in life.  Best wishes and hope things  improve there.

      Anne

      Anne,

      The only times the hums lessens for me here in Albuqueruqe, New Mexico is when I report how obnixiously loud it has been.

      It makes me wonder if this site is being monitored.

      Lindsay

    • Bill Curry
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 6, 2004
        Hi folks,
            How about a pottential source of the Hum being the storm, itself,  instead of the radar tacking the storm?  There is a lot of atmospheric electricity in the frequency bands that are about the same as the low frequency TV channels, like channel 2 and channel 4.  If relatively low frequency RF is found to be a contributor to the Hum, tthunderstorms would certainly enhance the environment for the same. In factt,  I remember a trick that some people used to warn of the potenttial presence of a tornado bearing storm within a few miiles.  The trick was to turn on a TV set and tune it to channel 2, when thundersttorms were in the area,  reduce tthe brightness so that only occasional flashes were seen, and wait. If a tornado was nearby, the TV screen would glow continuously, because of the large electromagnetic fields associated with it.  I saw this described in a textbook about Thunderstorms, Tornados, and Windstorm Damage.  This practice fell into disrepute, however, because of the realization that a tornado so close as to affect the TV set as I have described was too close for safety.   People should be getting into a protected part of the house then, instead of ttying to detect and locate the possible tornado.
        Regards tto all, Bill
        |Bill P. Curry, Ph.D.            Physics is fun|
        |(630) 858-9377        Fax (630) 858-9159|
        |      EMSciTek Consulting Company     |

        Anne wrote:
[...]

        Posting Guidelines:

        1.  No personal attacks.  But reasoned criticism of
        ideas and theories is welcome.
        2.  No gratuitous profanity.
        3.  No "kook" posts.
        4.  Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.  In general, no more than three per person per day.
        5.  Please sign all posts with your location (city, state, country).

      • Anne
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 6, 2004
          Hi Bill,

          I have questioned this myself, if it were the thunderstorms or the radar, which I was hearing.  I posted an email on here on Nov. 22, regarding it, in an answer to Maggie, in Denver, who was experiencing somewhat of the same thing when a snow storm came through there.

          I never heard the hum along with storms before I got the hum, so perhaps it could be the atmosphere involved with  the storms that I have become more sensitive to since the hum experience.

          I have to say this though, I was having a late lunch in a nearby town with friends today.  We were in a restaurant with no windows and I heard it thundering outside.  I mentioned it sure was  thundering outside.  Everyone looked at each other and  asked me if I was sure, because no one could hear it.  I said, "Yes, I am sure, I kind of hear those low frequency things."  Of course they did not know what I was talking of, but by the time we went to the front to leave, the rain was so heavy and the lightning and thunder so bad, we had to wait almost 30 minutes to get out into it.  I did not actually hear the hum with it though.  I wondered if it was because I was in a city location and not in my
          usual rural setting.

          Anne

        • lbcallaway@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 7, 2004
            Greetings from Alabama, Bill,
            Yep.... Daddy and I used to play with the old black and white TV in the early 60s to check on the tornados coming from the direction of Peter's Mudhole in Georgia.  I have to disagree on the hypothesis that the garden variety storm is responsible for my hum.  Of course, I will have to qualify that statement to include only those storms that are made by Mother Nature, herself.  Nope, good old-fashioned thunder storms do not create the symptoms that this whateveritis system that causes the hum creates.  Engineered weather could certainly do it!

            Last night was a real challenge here in Alabama about 3 AM.  The hum was two-toned, with the lower hum pulsed at a rapid rate that I could almost count.  It was about 5 or 6 pulses per heartbeat.  I leapt from bed to check the radar patterns, but alas, DIRECWAY was not working. Funny, those jets were again flying around, too, or--at least--what sounded like a military jet noise.  We also had a dose of the "dense fog" that you can taste.  I guess you saw reports of all of the bad weather that we have had last night and today.  Coincidental?  I think not.

            For your consideration.

            Have a safe and merry Christmas.

            Anne wrote:
[...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Bill Curry
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 7, 2004
              Linda,
                  I wasn'tt suggesting that ordinary thunderstorms might be producing the Hum, but the  fact that there is much atmospheric electricity associated with severe thunderstorms - even when they are aborning - made me wonder if they might be potentiial sources for some Hums.
                  Your observations about pulsing were most interestiing.  If your reesting heartbeat is in the range 68-72  per minute, and you observed 5 or 6 pulses per heartbeat, then the range of pulsing frequencies is about 5.7-7.2 pulses  per second.  These pulse frequencies coiincide  with Theta (4-7Hz)  brain waves.  I wonder whether other Hum sufferers have made similar observations.  Theta brain waves are associated with early stages of sleep  or (I presume) light sleep.   So, if you are a light sleeper, whatever source is pulsing is probably interfering with your natural sleep process by blanking out or interfering with signals from natural processes in the brain.  To me, this enhances the case for an electromagnetic origin of the hum, though it is premature to dismiss pulsed acoustical signals with similar pulsing frequencies.  My central unanswered  question is still whether the thresholds expected for the intensity of either EMF effects or acoustical sensations of sufficent strength to cause the dreadful effects you all describe on this  forum are lowered when brain wave interference occurs.  I suspect that they are because there seems to be a type of resonance when pulses are sensed by the brain in the frequency range of its own generated signals.  Since  these signals are associated with the regulation of b ody processes, it seems reasonable to me that these processes could be adversely affected by fairly low  level external signals pulsing at the brain's own frequencies.

                Anne wrote:
[...]

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • coatesmargaret
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 8, 2004
                  Hi Bill

                  Is it possible the hum has something to do with when a strong solar
                  windstream is
                  bathing the earth? See link below.

                  http://www.spaceweather.com/

                  Re the summer heat and the hum. We had the hottest temperature on
                  record for this
                  town last Wednesday (1st Dec) It was 108 degrees and the hum was
                  intense and stayed
                  full on 24 hours every day until Sunday, when it quietened down. It
                  came back
                  yesterday (Tuesday). Solar windstream was a lot lower on Monday
                  than today but I've
                  only checked 3 times so it's too soon to know how much correlation
                  there is.
                  Maggie - East Coast NSW Australia

                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Curry" <bpcurry@w...> wrote:
                  > Hi folks,
                  > How about a pottential source of the Hum being the storm,
                  itself, instead of the
                  radar tacking the storm? There is a lot of atmospheric electricity
                  in the frequency bands
                  that are about the same as the low frequency TV channels, like
                  channel 2 and channel 4.
                  If relatively low frequency RF is found to be a contributor to the
                  Hum, tthunderstorms
                  would certainly enhance the environment for the same. In factt, I
                  remember a trick that
                  some people used to warn of the potenttial presence of a tornado
                  bearing storm within a
                  few miiles. The trick was to turn on a TV set and tune it to channel
                  2, when
                  thundersttorms were in the area, reduce tthe brightness so that only
                  occasional flashes
                  were seen, and wait. If a tornado was nearby, the TV screen would
                  glow continuously,
                  because of the large electromagnetic fields associated with it. I
                  saw this described in a
                  textbook about Thunderstorms, Tornados, and Windstorm Damage. This
                  practice fell
                  into disrepute, however, because of the realization that a tornado so
                  close as to affect
                  the TV set as I have described was too close for safety. People
                  should be getting into a
                  protected part of the house then, instead of ttying to detect and
                  locate the possible
                  tornado.
                  > Regards tto all, Bill
                  > |Bill P. Curry, Ph.D. Physics is fun|
                  > |(630) 858-9377 Fax (630) 858-9159|
                  > | > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.
                • lbcallaway@yahoo.com

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 8, 2004
                      No Anne. I don't think problems with the hum are less in the summer months, but I do think you are correct in that people spend more time outdoors busy with their activities. In my case, I joined only because I read about this in The Oklahoman newspaper. I've been hearing it ever since I've moved to OK (three years), but didn't want to be known as "the crazy from the east coast."

                      Lissa
                      Edmond, OK

                      Anne <llamavalley@...> wrote:
                      I went through the members list on this group and found that in   Sept.   16 new members
                                               Oct.     12 new members
                                               Nov.    13 new members
                                             Total       34

                      In the three months prior to that there were,
                                               June     3 new members
                                                July      3 new members
                                                 Aug.    4 new members
                                              Total       10

                      Would this indicate that the problems with the hum are less in the summer months and that they seem to increase starting in Sept.  That has been true for myself, several  times over the last eight years. Is this some type of a pattern, or is it that more time is spent outdoors, where the hum is less heard.?

                      I remember the hottest summer we had here on record was in 1998.  The hum had been bad that spring early, but by May 30th we were having 109 degree heat everyday and by July it was 115,  and it went on for many weeks.  I did not have the hum all summer after the heat started, and I stayed in doors more than normal because of the heat.

                      Does anyone have any idea why the hum might go away when the temperatures are very high.?

                      Anne

                    • MartWitherington@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 8, 2004

                        These measurements were taken in the home of a Hearer and in a nearby disused quarry in mid summer. The hearer matched the tone he perceived to 60 -70 Hz using a piano.
                        It should be stated that this was a 'most like' match. The most like matches that have appeared on the Hum site have matched similarly apart from the 3-4hz (throb) which was also reported at this site. Incidentally, the physical effects reported on the humforum agreed with what was experienced by this hearer in the past.
                      • Anne
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 8, 2004
                          Hi Lissa,

                          Welcome to the group.

                          I am familiar with Edmond.  I have lived there for awhile once years ago.   My brother lives there now.

                          Are you close to any cell phone towers?  I know there are some very large and powerful TV and Radio towers all grouped together not too  far south of Edmond.  The fact is out here on the ranch there are not any towers within a few miles, but I hear the hum anyway.  I am near a military flyover route though.

                          I am sorry moving to OK. has caused you to hear the hum.  Anne

                          Anne <llamavalley@...> wrote:
[...]

                          Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!

                            Anne <llamavalley@...> wrote:
[...]

                            click here

                            Do you Yahoo!?