Re: HUM_FORUM: San Diego Hum

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      In a message dated 01/12/2004 02:29:19 GMT Standard Time, ccarrike@... writes:
      I haven't read your files and posts yet, but i am hoping for some
      ideas for coping with this.

      Thank You,
      Debra
      Hi.
      Recently I had an enquiry from a lady near London who was getting really run-down from loss of sleep, due to the new siting of an electrical sub-station outside her bedroom.
      (I have sprung into action with the Helpline's strong support-letter, setting out, with statements that can be checked , medically, scientifically, whatever, why loss of sleep is very bad for health, long-term). I had a link from somewhere about a noise-masker, that is adjustable, ( to make slightly varying sounds, adjustable to the person's choice) , and passed the info' to the lady. (Luckily she did have a computer and The Net, etc., so the info'  was speedily transferred). She phoned up a few days after buying one of these devices, and said it did mask the deep hum that was plaguing her. As a result, she said she was able to get some refreshing sleep.
      Now I realise that the low frequency noise would not be removed from the house by the noise masker, it would still be coming in, but at least if the hearer can mask it,take the attention away from it a bit, then it is less damaging.  This particular lady also said that she still felt angry that she should have to go and buy a device (about £80 Sterling, I think they are), just to get  some sleep.
      So I thought the forum should at least have the details of the masker device, it seems to be quite good.
      By the way, folks, the general roar of traffic (obviously the city and motorways, you can hear it clearly, and if you go out in the car, you are amazed how fast the roads are filling up....it only takes a small hitch round here to make tarffic jams)  in the early mornings has increased  a lot, 0over the last 2 or so years: this area is getting SO overcrowded, it's really worrying.  The general roar  has a strong low frequency component...it's getting rather unpleasant here, from that point of view, but luckily the wind changes regularly, and when it is from the west , it is nice and quiet again....the difference between the two conditions is very marked.
      Best Wishes.
      R.M.     Southampton, England.
    • humshaker2003
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        To Administrator:

        Please remove this advertising spam. I don't think hum sufferers especially new ones
        should be subjected to these come -ons. Thank You

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          In a message dated 01/12/2004 10:58:30 GMT Standard Time, e-ken@... writes:

          To Administrator:

          Please remove this advertising spam. I don't think hum sufferers especially new ones
          should be subjected to these come -ons. Thank You

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tobypaws2002@a... wrote:

          > In a message dated 01/12/2004 02:29:19 GMT Standard Time,  ccarrike@y...
          > writes:
          >
          > I  haven't read your files and posts yet, but i am hoping for some
          > ideas for  coping with this.
          >
          > Thank You,
          > Debra
          >

          > Hi.
          > Recently I had an enquiry from a lady near London who was getting really
          > run-down from loss of sleep, due to the new siting of an electrical sub-station
          > outside her bedroom.
          > (I have sprung into action with the Helpline's strong support-letter,
          > setting out, with statements that can be checked , medically, scientifically,
          > whatever, why loss of sleep is very bad for health, long-term). I had a link  from
          > somewhere about a noise-masker, that is adjustable, ( to make  slightly
          > varying sounds, adjustable to the person's choice) , and passed the  info' to the
          > lady. (Luckily she did have a computer and The Net, etc.,  so the info'  was
          > speedily transferred). She phoned up a few days  after buying one of these
          > devices, and said it did mask the deep hum that was  plaguing her. As a result, she
          > said she was able to get some refreshing  sleep.
          > Now I realise that the low frequency noise would not be removed from the
          > house by the noise masker, it would still be coming in, but at least if the
          > hearer can mask it,take the attention away from it a bit, then it is less
          > damaging.  This particular lady also said that she still felt angry that  she should
          > have to go and buy a device (about £80 Sterling, I think they are),  just to
          > get  some sleep.
          > So I thought the forum should at least have the details of the masker
          > device, it seems to be quite good.
          > _http://www.epinions.com/content_100213165700_
          > (http://www.epinions.com/content_100213165700)
          > By the way, folks, the general roar of traffic (obviously the city and
          > motorways, you can hear it clearly, and if you go out in the car, you are amazed
          > how fast the roads are filling up....it only takes a small hitch round here to
          > make tarffic jams)  in the early mornings has increased  a lot,  0over the
          > last 2 or so years: this area is getting SO overcrowded, it's really  worrying.
          > The general roar  has a strong low frequency  component...it's getting rather
          > unpleasant here, from that point of view, but  luckily the wind changes
          > regularly, and when it is from the west , it is nice  and quiet again....the
          > difference between the two conditions is very marked.
          > Best Wishes.
          > R.M.     Southampton,  England.

          HEY ! Just a doggon minute here!!!!
          I have NO commercial link to the company selling that sound masker, and only mentioned it in the context of helping people reduce their suffering.
          The message was NOTHING TO DO WITH 'SPAM' !
          Dear Moderator, could you please note, it was a perfectly bona fide wish to HELP sufferers.
          I don't sell the things, I only wanted people to be aware of a possible way to cope with the incoming torture they get from 'The Hum'.
          R.M.    Southampton.  England.
        • lfn1956
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "watcherashera777"
            <RavenMunin@c...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I am new to the list. I found this group while researching the hum
            > we have in San Diego.
            > My husband and I first heard it three weeks ago, although we have
            > lived at the same place for 11 years.
            >
            > During this three weeks, we have had the property manager, the
            > police department, the water department, SDG&E, the cable company,
            3
            > electrcians, and a plumber visit our apartment. 2 people visiting
            > could not hear it, the rest could. No one could determine the
            source.

            > This morning, Cingular became involved because "something" is
            > jamming their signals in our area. The nearest Cingular tower is
            not
            > the problem. I contacted the FCC, and Cingular is supposed to co-
            > ordinate with them to figire this out.
            >
            > I am having problems coping with the constant vibration. This
            > causes lack of sleep, headache, aggravated accupressure meridians,
            > nausea and disorientation.
            > I can "feel" and hear the hum within a 3 mile radius of our home.
            We
            > desparately want to move.
            > I haven't read your files and posts yet, but i am hoping for some
            > ideas for coping with this.
            >
            > Thank You,
            > Debra

            Hi Debra,

            Glad you found this forum. It seems it is the only forum like this
            on the web.

            I also discovered the hum after I moved into a new home. The worst
            part was the initial noticing of something that wasn't quite right.
            A low-frequency noise that never seemed to go away. I felt extreme
            anxiety for the first few weeks when I finally noticed it. I love
            moments of quiet and this noise, whatever it was, had stolen it
            completely. What made it even worse was it is most noticeable when
            everything else is quiet. I was surprised when nobody else could
            hear what I was hearing, which got me even more upset. This was all
            before I even knew of this forum or others that are affected by it.

            It's scary to think that this low-frequency hum might cover a wide
            area in a region. I've been wanting to move too, to escape this
            noise. Since I don't even know the source or sources, it's difficult
            to know where I could live to escape it. So the decision to move has
            been stressful and filled with question marks.

            Please continue to post and keep us all informed of what you find
            out about the noise. Hopefully you'll find what is causing your
            misery. It has been a nightmare for me over the last year.

            Kevin in Indianapolis
          • Tricia
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi, Debra,

              Thanks for the detailed account of your Hum experience. Although your
              description of the Hum sounds familiar, your experience differs
              significantly from most of ours because both you and your husband, as
              well as others visiting your home, can hear it. Most of us are solo
              sufferers.

              Although terrible for you that the Hum is so loud in San Diego, it's
              a hopeful sign that it's being acknowledged and investigated by
              Cingular and the FCC. Please keep us posted on anything you hear from
              them or other agencies. Perhaps this will be a breakthrough.

              Tricia
              Minden, NV
              Hum-hearer since 1999

              P.S. The Hum remains relatively quiet here in Northern Nevada.

              wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I am new to the list. I found this group while researching the hum
              > we have in San Diego.
              > My husband and I first heard it three weeks ago, although we have
              > lived at the same place for 11 years.
              >
              > During this three weeks, we have had the property manager, the
              > police department, the water department, SDG&E, the cable company,
              3
              > electrcians, and a plumber visit our apartment. 2 people visiting
              > could not hear it, the rest could. No one could determine the
              source.

              > This morning, Cingular became involved because "something" is
              > jamming their signals in our area. The nearest Cingular tower is
              not
              > the problem. I contacted the FCC, and Cingular is supposed to co-
              > ordinate with them to figire this out.
              >
              > I am having problems coping with the constant vibration. This
              > causes lack of sleep, headache, aggravated accupressure meridians,
              > nausea and disorientation.
              > I can "feel" and hear the hum within a 3 mile radius of our home.
              We
              > desparately want to move.
              > I haven't read your files and posts yet, but i am hoping for some
              > ideas for coping with this.
              >
              > Thank You,
              > Debra
            • watcherashera777
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                Update:
                I talked with The EPA, who referred me to the county supervisor for
                San Diego. He was familiar with various "Hum" issues through out
                the US. He said such issues are now under the Jurisdiction of
                Homeland Security. Apparently, the government feels such phenomena
                may be microwave or radio frequency oriented.

                I must confess, talking to all these people and being referred to so
                many agencies has left me very confused.

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tricia" <tricia@s...> wrote:

                > Hi, Debra,
                >
                > Thanks for the detailed account of your Hum experience. Although
                your
                > description of the Hum sounds familiar, your experience differs
                > significantly from most of ours because both you and your husband,
                as
                > well as others visiting your home, can hear it. Most of us are
                solo
                > sufferers.
                >
                > Although terrible for you that the Hum is so loud in San Diego,
                it's
                > a hopeful sign that it's being acknowledged and investigated by
                > Cingular and the FCC. Please keep us posted on anything you hear
                from
                > them or other agencies. Perhaps this will be a breakthrough.
                >
                > Tricia
                > Minden, NV
                > Hum-hearer since 1999
                >
                > P.S. The Hum remains relatively quiet here in Northern Nevada.

              • surfyah
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2006
                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "lfn1956" <veu4@...> wrote:

                  > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "watcherashera777"
                  > <RavenMunin@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi everyone,
                  > >
                  > > I am new to the list. I found this group while researching the hum
                  > > we have in San Diego.
                  > > My husband and I first heard it three weeks ago, although we have
                  > > lived at the same place for 11 years.
                  > >
                  > > During this three weeks, we have had the property manager, the
                  > > police department, the water department, SDG&E, the cable company,
                  > 3
                  > > electrcians, and a plumber visit our apartment. 2 people visiting
                  > > could not hear it, the rest could. No one could determine the
                  > source.
                  > >
                  > > This morning, Cingular became involved because "something" is
                  > > jamming their signals in our area. The nearest Cingular tower is
                  > not
                  > > the problem. I contacted the FCC, and Cingular is supposed to co-
                  > > ordinate with them to figire this out.
                  > >
                  > > I am having problems coping with the constant vibration. This
                  > > causes lack of sleep, headache, aggravated accupressure meridians,
                  > > nausea and disorientation.
                  > > I can "feel" and hear the hum within a 3 mile radius of our home.
                  > We
                  > > desparately want to move.
                  > > I haven't read your files and posts yet, but i am hoping for some
                  > > ideas for coping with this.
                  > >
                  > > Thank You,
                  > > Debra
                  >
                  > Hi Debra,
                  >
                  > Glad you found this forum. It seems it is the only forum like this
                  > on the web.
                  >
                  > I also discovered the hum after I moved into a new home. The worst
                  > part was the initial noticing of something that wasn't quite right.
                  > A low-frequency noise that never seemed to go away. I felt extreme
                  > anxiety for the first few weeks when I finally noticed it. I love
                  > moments of quiet and this noise, whatever it was, had stolen it
                  > completely. What made it even worse was it is most noticeable when
                  > everything else is quiet. I was surprised when nobody else could
                  > hear what I was hearing, which got me even more upset. This was all
                  > before I even knew of this forum or others that are affected by it.
                  >
                  > It's scary to think that this low-frequency hum might cover a wide
                  > area in a region. I've been wanting to move too, to escape this
                  > noise. Since I don't even know the source or sources, it's difficult
                  > to know where I could live to escape it. So the decision to move has
                  > been stressful and filled with question marks.
                  >
                  > Please continue to post and keep us all informed of what you find
                  > out about the noise. Hopefully you'll find what is causing your
                  > misery. It has been a nightmare for me over the last year.
                  >
                  > Kevin in Indianapolis

                  I know you posted in 2004, but the noise is similar to what you are
                  experiencing. It continues for 2 years now 24/7 in Clairemont Mesa.
                  Near 805 and Balboa. What is it? I've heard the small planes that fly
                  by, actually "PUSH" the vibration back towards the freeway 805, when
                  the plane is a little revved up. I don't understand, if the plane is
                  affecting the sound waves, don't those sound waves and vibrations
                  affect the plane's electrical systems? Why don't these small plane
                  pilots complain? Something has to be done, 1st PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF
                  WHAT THE HELL IT IS. 2nd WHY. 3rd WHO AUTHORIZED IT. 4th PENALTIES
                  FOR NOISE CODE VIOLATIONS. To me it sounds like a class action law
                  suit. But no one will say what department or company is doing it.
                • surfyah
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2006
                    --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tobypaws2002@... wrote:

> [...]
                    changes
                    > > regularly, and when it is from the west , it is nice and quiet
                    > again....the
                    > > difference between the two conditions is very marked.
                    > > Best Wishes.
                    > > R.M. Southampton, England.
                    >

                    > HEY ! Just a doggon minute here!!!!
                    > I have NO commercial link to the company selling that sound masker,
                    and only
                    > mentioned it in the context of helping people reduce their suffering.
                    > The message was NOTHING TO DO WITH 'SPAM' !
                    > Dear Moderator, could you please note, it was a perfectly bona fide
                    wish to
                    > HELP sufferers.
                    > I don't sell the things, I only wanted people to be aware of a
                    possible way
                    > to cope with the incoming torture they get from 'The Hum'.

                    It seems there are some, a little too sensitive. refering to the one
                    above you southampton. But anyway, I would prefer NOT to have any
                    masks to cover the noise, somehow, I don't think that would work for
                    my pets!