Re: HUM_FORUM: Tympanostomy proposed as a possible medical treatment for Hu...

  • iprefertruth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2014
      In a message dated 08/07/2014 00:55:07 GMT Daylight Time, humforum@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Glen. I guess in one area I Gotya. I've got over 4000 hours and 3-4k$ USD into this crap.

      Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's and auto corrects

      On Jul 5, 2014, at 2:31 PM, "Glen MacPherson glen.macpherson@... [humforum]" <humforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      DISCLAIMER: I write a disclaimer here because I need to protect myself legally from people who might think that because I have a Ph.D. and can be called “Doctor”, that I somehow can give medical advice. I cannot, and do not. I do, however, have a simple idea that you can take to an open-minded physician. The two of you can then talk about it. Do let me know what happens.

      I've noticed a lot of recent activity on this forum regarding hearing issues and the auditory system. Some writers have wanted to know why I have not yet dealt with medical treatments or infrasound in a substantive way as it relates to the Hum phenomenon. There are several reasons. First, I am a teacher of science and not a scientist, which means that (apart from my actual areas of academic expertise) I am expected to know a little bit about many scientific topics, and be an expert on none of them. The second reason is time. I’ve invested at least 1000 hours learning new material, scanning abstracts, chatting with working scientists, and sometimes just sitting and speculating, staring into space and waiting for whatever “Eureka” moments might come.

      A recent exchange with a reader of this blog showed me quite convincingly that I was wrong about a basic rule that many of use when talking about sound. We are taught in school that the typical human hearing range comprises frequencies from 20 Hz up to 20 kHz. Frequencies below 20 Hz are referred to as “infrasound”. What happens at the lower end of that range has been poorly understood and oversimplified until relatively recently. There is no sharp dividing line between sound and infrasound. Try the following experiment: go to an online tone generator, such as http://onlinetonegenerator.com/, and connect your computer or phone to a good set of speakers or headphones that have good bass response. Start at around 60 Hz, and then begin lowering the frequency. You will notice that at some point you feel the sound more than you can hear it. There are many people who report that some tones, down around 17 or 18 Hz, if played with enough power, can cause unusual and sometimes unpleasant sensations. In some cases, as with wind turbines, the effects can be devastating. (You'll note below that Leventhal's work in this area has been sharply criticized). The biological system that processes acoustic signals is massively complex and involves numbers of structures and mechanisms.

      The person who posted to this blog claimed that he can hear frequencies as low as 1 Hz or even lower. This was met with some derision by a few readers, and I simply dismissed it as a case of somebody who was ill-informed about the science. That was not the case. One reported effect of Meniere’s disease is to render patients sensitive to lower frequency sound and infrasound. The same contributor sent to me several links to infrasound studies. One of those serious studies (Salt & Lichtenhan, 2014) addresses the issue of wind turbines noise, and suggested an idea that may have big implications for the Hum community.

      tympanostomy tube insertion is a common procedure in which a small tube or grommet is inserted into the ear drum so as to prevent fluid buildup and to aerate the middle ear. It happens to be one of the most commonly performed medical procedure on children, as well as being a treatment for Meniere’s disease.  It is a simple procedure which can be performed in the doctor’s office under local anesthesia, although with children, general anesthesia is often used to prevent movement during the insertion. The procedure does not affect sensitivity to frequencies of speech and other daily sounds, but it drastically reduces sensitivity to lower frequency sounds. The authors suggest that this procedure could provide relief from sensitivity to infrasound.

      And so, I took all their work and moved it a few inches down the road by suggesting that this may be a medical treatment for the Hum. Again, I give no medical advice here, but if you do pursue this with your doctor, I’m sure there are many people who will very much want to know what the results are.

      Hi, Glen.
      Your posts are always interesting .
      Many thanks for the many hours spent on all this.
      The above excerpt backs a  paper by Hazel Guest  ,
      which I got years ago, where she said that frequencies
       lower than 20Hz could be heard,  if loud enough.
      But is it true that when you get down to those very low freq's,
       you hear the individual 'beats', like a drum beat?
      If that is so , and I don't know for sure,
      whether that is always the case,
      having come to all this 'from the outside', picking up
      bits and pieces as I go along, over nearly 30 years.
      But I  have had demonstrated,
      freq's from about 60 Hz, all the way down to 1 Hz.,
      and that  ' individual beats ' effect was quite clear :
      not at all like ' The Hum ', which usually seems to be
       like a constant , smooth tone, whether intermittent or continuous.
      Years ago, I read about a weapon, and / or torture device
      which used 11 (?) Hz, and when applied to the human body,
      vibrated the internal organs, causing pain and eventual damage.
      This despicable device was apparently invented by some Brit's,
      for a Middle East country' police / whatever.
      Apparently a victim will soon comply with any demands,
       since the alternative is so awful.
      BUT , the power has to be quite high.
      I think the levels of noise ( / whatever),
      concerned with ''The Hum' are fairly weak,
      from what people report,
      although given that our human hearing is fairly sensitive,
      it's not surprising that we detect even subtle sounds.
      I have had many people contact me here,
      convinced that their bodies are being 'vibrated' by
      their incoming nuisance.
      In my early days of my 'Hum' experience, I thought I was
      getting 'vibrations', but this was only a temporary effect :
      I then went on for 7 years, and 'vibrations'; was not the effect I was suffering,
      only noise : sound  : which I easily recorded,
      then compared to 'no Hum' recordings made in exactly the same way.
       I now think that the impression of 'vibrations' , was the result of stress,
      and worry about  what the noise could possibly be, and how long might I be 'stuck' with it.
      I could imagine people could become agitated, 'on edge',
       and something like palpitations could give the impression of vibrations.
      I try to ask people, if they believe they are being actually shaken,
       then surely a seismometer would detect that ?
      (no response).
      Or I say to them, try anything you can think of, to detect vibrations,
       if you have no actual instruments available.
      One thing I suggest is a flat bowl of water, which I think  would show
      slight movement on the surface,
      if there were actual vibrations present.
      I hope that is a fair point...hope I'm not too far wrong.....
      just trying to help,
      because I know from bitter experience how distressing L.F.N. can be.
      But it is frustrating :  people don't seem to understand
      about simple experiments, and I can't remember anyone has
       responded that they have looked into trying to establish for sure,
      whether they are getting physical vibrations, or hearing a noise.
      I know that noise is vibrating air, but it is frustrating
       when people insist that their house is 'shaking', etc.
      Surely that would be easy to detect ?
      By the way, I was not aware that  some of Dr. Leventhal's work
       had been criticised : could anyone say which particular  paper / theory / etc.?
      I know Dr. Leventhal, but have not had
       much actual contact recently .....
      he kindly allowed me to quote a paper of his from the
      early 1990's, and said I had "grasped the points well."
      Thank you again for your excellent efforts to illuminate us all :
      I have high hopes that
      something useful will emerge,
      and also many thanks  for the point about Tympanostopy :
       That could be a 'blessing' to some people if all else fails.
      I can try to get that point added to
       my lengthy document held
      currently by a N.H.S.  database, for patient information.
      Best Wishes,
      Rosemarie Mann,
      LFNS Help, England
      (Home e-mail, if you wish to write separately from here ):