First Time Hum Incident and Sunspots

  • Mark Jordan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2014
      Hi to all,

      Sorry I have not been participating in the group. I have been lurking and read every post. I have been very busy and very sick for many months now. I am posting for several reasons. The most important reason is that I had a hum incident a few days ago. I am not a hum sufferer. However, a few nights ago, I clearly heard the a hum around 3 A. M. While many describe it as an engine idling, it was more of a mechanical droning sound to me. I immediately thought to get up and search for the source but knew from the many reports that this would be futile. I also know all of the possible sources of sounds in my vicinity and knew that this was not a sound that comes from industry, compressors, engines or any other man-made source. I did not find the sound to be unpleasant and fell asleep soon after. Lately I have been working at a saltwater disposal plant where we have large pumps and many diesel engines running. I have been operating large bulldozers and other types of construction equipment seven days a week when I am not in the hospital. The doctors have not been able to find the source of my severe chest pain. They ruled my heart out after several angioplasty surgeries and morphine only dulls the pain. I have been to the ER numerous times for morphine shots.
          I have been hospitalized three times in recent months for a week at a time and have been on and off numerous medications. I have tinnitus really loud in my left ear and I only heard the hum in my right. I considered a side effect from one of the medications that I am taking is known to affect tinnitus. I considered the possibility that this might affect the hum. I hope the hum comes back so I can research it.
          Regarding the new graphs produced by John. While correlation is not causation, it is a good place to start. I ask you all to consider the fact that many of the medicines that you take are only correlated with good or bad medical results. The fact is that we don't know why or how many of these drugs work. The mechanism is unknown. For example, I am taking a relatively new drug, Ranexa. They have no idea why this drug helps heart pain. I take Baclofen for neuralgia but it is a muscle relaxer. They don't know why it also helps with neuralgia. They are constantly passing new laws about tobacco products because of the statistical relationship between tobacco and disease. The mechanism is not determined in most of the diseases that they are trying to prevent. They correlate one thing with another. Regarding medications, cause and effect is usually not considered until the lawsuits get started about the devastating side effects and harm that many of the drugs cause.
          Prediction is one of the hallmarks of science. If there is a true correlation, John or, anyone else, should be able to predict that increased sunspot activity will result in increased postings on this forum. More important is to determine the possible mechanisms and begin studies to test the hypothesis.
          I hope to hear the hum again. I am mystified by this problem and would like to study it in more detail. I continue with my scientific studies and hope to publicize my findings very soon. If I don't die first.

      Mark S. Jordan
      zorbasci@...

    • iprefertruth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2014

        In a message dated 07/07/2014 07:14:51 GMT Daylight Time, humforum@yahoogroups.com writes:

[...]

        Hi, Mark,
        Just a quick 2 cents from me :
        Over many years I have been trying to accumulate clues about all this.
        One point made by a doctor (expert in tinnitus : he thought the 'Hum' was only tinnitus ! Which annoyed lots of people ! We know that 'The Hum' and Tinnitus are 2 separate things.
        Although there may be some 'connection' in some obscure way we don't understand yet......
        The hearing mechanisms  are complicated and people
         make whole careers out of the area.
        The point I wanted to mention about the doctor was that
        he said, with fair reasoning, I thought ,
        that if there is tinnitus in one ear, or hearing loss in one ear,
        the other ear 'thinks' it is not hearing as well as it should,
         and 'turns the volume up'.
        I noticed many a time, that if I had been on the phone a long time,
        when I put the phone down, there was a sort of 'hum' in the OTHER ear.
        This I think was the brain 'turning the volume up',
         to compensate for only being able to hear in one ear !
        'It' 'thinks' the 'non-phone' ear has gone deaf !
        And so tries to compensate.
        By turning the 'volume' up, one then noticed the
         low frequencies more, as one had already started doing,
         for one reason or another.....
        You might like to try to look up the subject,
        just a thought....
        Best Wishes,
        R.Mann,
        LFNS Help, England.
        (P.S., I have to modify the document I compiled at the database above,
        to discourage people from applying for the printed version,
        since my printer is caput and I can't afford to fix it.....
        most people I find can get access to 'the Net' these days, anyway....
        Please note, there is no commercial benefit to myself from the above link.)
        R.M.
        PPS, If Hum reports go up during solar flares, it could be a coincidence,
        since this widespread problem is getting  more publicity....
        It doesn't mean that solar flares are causing The Hum'.
        That could be a spurious link,
        like saying that whenever cows lie down, it rains,
         'therefore' the cows made it rain....