Strategy for Living with the Hum

  • musicomdimension
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2014
      I lived in New Haven, Connecticut for 9 years until I left and moved back to Central New York in 1985.  The last year or two (I was in Arizona from Dec 83 until Dec 84) I started to notice the hum.  For me it was a low pitched continuous sub-sound.  It didn't aggravate me like it does to many people.  Here in upstate New York I never heard it again.  But I came across a copy of an article in Psychology Today at a dentist's office a number of years ago that may help people who are having anxiety from hearing it and not being able to escape from it.

      I couldn't find the exact article, but I found a very similar one to it, which I'll link below.  The gist of the article was that when you react to something that you find unpleasant by resisting it, the very resistance itself has the effect of making the source issue even stronger than it was to begin with.  More intense resistance will result in a more intense amount of frustration and pain.

      The solution is something you have to train yourself to do, which is to realize that resisting only makes it worse.  For some people the Hum is a similar to a form of Chinese Water Torture because they can't escape from it, and trying harder makes it worse.  By combining the knowledge that resistance strengthens it with some other forms of therapy (such as Doctor approved or natural mood medications or such) these people might be able to learn to live with it enough that it doesn't ruin their quality of life completely.

      The article has been very useful for me whenever I've found myself in a situation where something annoyed me that I couldn't physically walk away from due to circumstances.  I learned to somehow distract myself in other ways in whatever situation it was until I was able to leave the circumstance that was causing the problem.

      Good luck.

      Link:

      http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/anxiety-files/201007/why-thought-stopping-doesn-t-work

    • bridger82923

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2014
          Thanks Mike,
           I totally agree. I use this technique when dealing with body pain as well as the hum. The key is distracting yourself by consciously choosing to focus on other things instead and ignoring noise/discomfort/ pain as much as possible. To allow it instead of resisting. This doesn't require that we pretend it's music per se, but to have an attitude of peace about it as much as we can. In the case of body pain I choose to "go into" the pain, or allow it to come as much as it needs to and to remove my conscious resistance to it. This single "trick" of the mind has allowed me to be a very high functioning person with fibromyalgia and CFS. Utilizing all of the coping methods possible will help guarantee a better outcome for anyone facing any relentless problem in their lives or bodies. I would also strongly suggest people use biofeedback training as well to help them overcome the mental resistance and thereby bring better coping. I have written several times here in the forum about various coping methods, as well as many different items that you could purchase and try to help whatever your personal suffering includes. There 's more than one way to deal with this as the source or sources of the hum gets studied. We should utilize everything we can to help ourselves live with this so we can have some semblance of a normal daily life.
          Thanks again for posting this!
          Blessings,
          Suzie