Misc. Items

  • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 14, 2014

      I know we have all talked about this before, but in light of the recent conversation and newer folks on here I thought I would send this.

      And my memory sparked when Steve mentioned bending over and hearing the hum.

      Bruits -

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK289/

      (venous hum, etc.)

      With my personal theory that we may be experiencing different hums (Deep down, I think there is one worldwide cause to one HUM , BUT, I strongly feel that some people who are on the forum hear something similar and just haven’t diagnosed the problem yet or are in the midst of working on it now).

      I stumbled across this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgWwx_5WsIo

      It isn’t of ‘The Hum’, but if you listen to the sound at heard at  4:32 -  5:05   This clip is SOOO close to what we have heard every winter/spring for the last few years.  It doesn’t portray the feeling we get when it is bad (pressure on the eardrums) … but, I actually got excited hearing it so others can get a feel for what we went thru every night.

      The best to all and thanks for all the updates on yourselves and info. I don’t comment on everyones’ info, but know that all of us on the forum read what we have to say and appreciates it even if you don’t get a response.

    • Cottrell, Danyele Marie

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 15, 2014
          Speaking of myself, I hear the Hum, not something similar.
        • Mary Gaylor
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 15, 2014
            In the early days of my hearing The Hum I was in contact with another hum sufferer.  There were three houses in a row and all of the 'grown ups' in the row of houses could hear it....the person I refer to moved away, but I don't know if they escaped the torment...I very much doubt it.

            The noise I am hearing has changed over the last week...I always heard it the mostly in my left ear....and now it has swapped over to my right ear for the worst of it.  And a little private note to Lidia, a lawyer has contacted me, his wife has become a sufferer.  We really need lots of hum diaries.
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 15, 2014
              I'm in FL on Marco Island. The hum that I passionately have dedicated tooo much time to is not here in the building or the couple places quiet enough to take a listen. This is the case for 3 years. But, like most of us agree there are different hums. Here, the pool pump has a different hum but is only localized. Another more similar hum occurs once in awhile at certain positions and type of larger diesel powered boats leave the small channel for open waters. And it is a tonal quality and if it lasted, most would be at least annoyed.
              Those are absolutely identifiable sources to any one. They come and go, can be located.  Not the hum I am concerned about at all.
              So some of us a likely hearing those other sources and the only way to answer that is measurements using the same methods and a person or two to go on a road trip for a few months. Not likely to happen right yet.
              Steve
              Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's and auto corrects

[...]

            • timandgaby
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 21, 2014
                Steve,

                I lived in Florida (Tampa/St Pete metro) for over 30 years and never heard the hum once. It wasn't until I moved to Vegas in 2010 that i noticed it. I have not been back to the Tampa area since, so I can not verify that I still do not hear it there. Will be in Orlando 3 days at the end of this year.

                Tim
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 21, 2014
                  If you take a look at my map you'll see points in the Tampa area, out along RT 4 from Winter Haven and Orlando areas. Going from memory as I am in Marco right now readying to head north and without my files, north of Orlando has reports also. I think Glens map may also have  the same, if not more points.
                   Here in Marco off the island I sensed a very low hum on a golf course nearer naples. Could be pond pumps or anyone of the "above".
                  Enjoy Orlando

                  On Apr 21, 2014, at 3:39 AM, <timandgaby@...> wrote:

                  Steve,

                  I lived in Florida (Tampa/St Pete metro) for over 30 years and never heard the hum once. It wasn't until I moved to Vegas in 2010 that i noticed it. I have not been back to the Tampa area since, so I can not verify that I still do not hear it there. Will be in Orlando 3 days at the end of this year.

                  Tim

                • Pangaban1
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 21, 2014
                    The hum's bearable here these days. When I last posted it had been like this - strong enough to sense as a background buzz,  but manageable - then a day later it rose to that sickening level that makes you want to cry. I thought I may have jinxed the quiet. But literally a day later it was down to the current level (bar the following Saturday). It's a relief. It's getting colder,  especially at night. The electromagnetic report appendix b of the Kokoma report (2003) also says, with chart, temps do play a part. But no luck with that in the UK. Botswana did not work out.
                    If one's stereocila ? degenerate with ageing why don't all 40+ people sense the hum? What is unique to our auditory systems, if this is indeed the culprit? We may 'hear' different hum sources but with the globalisation of industry I believe it's the same technology. And it travels hundreds of ks.
                    Between, I have ordered new hearing aids. I have worn them since my mid 30s, with hearing loss at the lower range. Cochlea damage from a virus. The new generation of hearing tech allows for a white noise programme.  I have asked for an aircraft cabin sound, economy. One can sleep with them in the ears. It seems a promising option.
                    Does anyone else think, as some reports say, that bee population declines are linked to the hum? Chemicals are largely blamed and one report says the situation is so bad in some areas of the US bumblebees and flies are doing the pollinating. Why are they not dying of chemical poisoning? On Dave Dawes' website there are some interesting comments on the subject, including that bees have similar otolith crystals to those in human ears. Lisle

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 22, 2014

                      I’m getting ready to make a loop from Indiana with stops in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida.  I’ll report back what we hear when we return.

                      I’m very curious, especially since some of the stops are in very quiet rural areas.

                      Have a great Tuesday all –

                      Danyele

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 6, 2014
                        Lisle
                        Yes I do believe honey bee CCD in the US has a direct link to the Hum, as well as other unexplained devastations increasingly worsening in nature.  My research into in- hive honey bee communication, how honey bees communicate between each other in the dark hive and actual testing of resonance patterns using mock up structures is pretty suggestive of the hum as a interferer to their navigation to pollen sources.  The varying length signals used in their communications from the waggle dance and thorax vibrations are over written by a constant signal, indicating to the bee community to fly infinitely away from the hive to the source of pollen.  they get lost!
                        You may be aware of the cell phone claims.  From the little I know about that, they threw a cell phone inside one hive to come up with that claim, not external signals.  I suggest that the external Hum sound waves resonate the hive, similar to the cell phone experiment.
                        The hypothesis needs real time testing and better epidemiological data.  The experts I've tried to convey this to aren't receptive to even consider this, blaming the same old things, mites, chemicals and "other environmental" stressors.  Which the hum is one of those, just unknown to the bee people.
                        The point is that these people aren't getting answers, only studying the same old thing over and over with NO conclusions.  I would think an open minded researcher would jump on this revelation.
                        Maybe in  decade or two they'll  come around.  By then it'll be too late.
                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2014
                          Has everyone seens this bees, birds and mankind....

                        • Mary Gaylor
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2014
                          • lidia1313
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2014
                              Bees don't have lawyers with money to protect them; if the bees die off, the humanity will perish. No matter the fact that some of the trees and plants can be artificially (think manually) pollinated! It's the technology burden and the mistakes that no one wants to correct - leading us into a vicious circle. It's the complacency and incompetence that belittle the gravity of such scientific studies...

                              Thank you, Mary, for the links!
                              Lidia
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 9, 2014
                                Mary
                                Very interesting.  If you come across work with an hypothesis looking at an acoustic premise of hum as a cause the bee and bird problems, please forward.
                                Steve
                                On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:08 PM, "lidia1313@..." <lidia1313@...> wrote:

                                Bees don't have lawyers with money to protect them; if the bees die off, the humanity will perish. No matter the fact that some of the trees and plants can be artificially (think manually) pollinated! It's the technology burden and the mistakes that no one wants to correct - leading us into a vicious circle. It's the complacency and incompetence that belittle the gravity of such scientific studies...

                                Thank you, Mary, for the links!
                                Lidia

                              • Stringpickin
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 9, 2014

                                  Hey Steve..  a couple years ago after I found the s207.. I contacted a couple of universities and sent my posit to them urging them to try experimenting with localized 207 in and among bee populations to see if they were able to act normally when it was being played..  I haven’t heard back from them.. Sure would like too..    Wouldn’t it be something if all it takes to help the bees out is to strategically place 207 frequency generators in a hives habitat area.. Letting them to be able to keep their focus so to speak and never get lost..    It could work..  if it is the hum207 that is affecting them..   It might even help if it is not specifically hum207… such as pipeline hum… etc..

                                  string

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 9, 2014
                                    String. I think string207 is the most effective neutralizer.  Just easier to use canned masking sound programs. So, with the current program I use on bad days mynoise.net it provides for total uninterrupted sound. BUT I adjust it to get as much string207 in the sound( analyzed the program with FFT and slide the sound bars to get 207 in it.  It works.
                                    I think the bee thing is more 18 hz. There is so much research needed if only all the people I've contacted about my findings would at least try.

                                    I recently contacted the CDC, and they dismissed it saying contact my local health authorities. Already done years ago!

                                    So, the new hope are the interest from media folks. If anybody in the country really cares maybe we can get research and answer your question. Which is a good one

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 3 2:35 AM
                                      Hi everyone,

                                      I was reading up about Radio wave propagation....and thought this could fit the reason for the diesel engine HUM 'noise'....and dedump sound which seems to come at the end of the cycle....could that dedump or thud be the 'sound' of the field collapsing back into the mast....so basically I am wondering if  the process of propagating radio waves could be the reason for the HUM....I first heard the HUM when I was around eleven years old, late at night when I was listening out for someone to arrive back home after being out for the evening....I heard it again in another location, always late at night, it didn't seem to much of a problem then.  There was a break until 2009 when I heard it again early in December of that year and it has been getting worse ever since.

                                      Pages 2-2 and 2-3

                                    • Mary Gaylor
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 3 3:25 AM
                                        Re: Radio wave propagation....

                                        I should have mentioned that I will be sixty years old next year....so the HUM has been around for a very long time, I was around eleven when I first heard it.

                                        Regards

                                        Mary

                                        aka Torment1 http://www.noisyneighbours.net/forum/forum/2/noisy-neighbour-experiences/  I have three threads on NNs forum all about the 'HUM'
                                      • lidia1313
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 3 2:37 PM
                                          Thank you for the crash course on the radio waves, Mary! I see now how the most dreadful subject at school - Physics (though I loved the Astronomy) comes back with vengeance when I try to understand such papers... Unfortunately, to crack the Hum, one need to be a real expert in so many fields.

                                          It sounds really terrible - to start hearing the Hum being only eleven! How did you cope then? What destiny is waiting our children, knowing that the Hum now has become ubiquitous and there is no escape!

                                          Please let me know whether you've heard anything back from the lawyer whose wife is a sufferer.

                                          Regards,

                                          Lidia