Recent

  • Glen MacPherson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2014

      Hi.

      I figured it's time to let you know what's new with me and the Hum. The main job is maintaining the World Hum Map and Database, and it’s freshly up to date with 2300 map points, and there are some interesting patterns emerging in the data. The Hum Map earned a paragraph in Steven Yaccino's Windsor Hum piece for the Chicagoan Magazine. I was interviewed by Katie Mokhtar from Blink Films in London. But I've left a few things hanging; specifically, the Deming Box experiment, which I am now crowdfunding for $5000.00, or at least starting that process. I'll let you know when I've gathered to funds to buy the materials and begin welding. With all the points of view about the Hum shouldering each other, there awaits this simple experiment that will point to the culprit, be it governmental, industrial, or natural. It’s been 10 years since the experiment was suggested, and it’s time to make it happen. Also, it's a scandal that the French and Russian versions of the Hum Map are not up and running yet. I need others (i.e. established people in the Hum community )with web technical skills (i.e. web hosting, configuring FTP, Google Drive and Fusion Tables) to move parts of the project forward.

      That’s my focus, again. By the end of 2014 I hope to have conducted the first trials and then with confirmation, point at the source of the Hum.

      Progress has been very slow, but reasonably steady. Thank you to the people who have written to me to tell me about their experiences. I learn something every time I hear from one of our community. I'm thankful that for me, the Hum is usually nothing more than an oddity, and sometimes a nuisance. Sometimes I forget about it for a while. But poring over the database entries, I can see that people are suffering, and so it's time to solve it.

      Cheers

      Glen

    • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2014

        Thank you Glen!

        It is odd, and I’m not complaining in the least bit, but it does somehow frighten me a bit that our hum is still gone.  Just a few days with it in early winter and silence since.   I find my fear is that it will just show up again louder than ever…like it is holding back for ‘the big one’.

        Are you getting other reports of ‘no hum’ in areas that had previously heard it?

        South-Central area in  Indiana, USA

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2014
            I too have been hum free since around the start of November, like yourself Danyele,  I do fear the return, my experience lasted roughly six months last year and caused me untold frustration and difficulty, then it almost seemed to sputter out, a little on, then off, then on for a day or so then complete silence.

            Any minute white noise or the other specifically designed sound files worked perfectly to disable the hum though it was a relief it was not a cure for the endless days and nights of confused frustration and disbelief.

            The silence has remained and the thought that it may return is absolutely horrific.  I'm left with a memory of something that was so absurd and the sole fact that nobody I knew locally could hear left me feeling both an oddity and a victim!

            I hope to goodness that it does not return, and if it does I hope we can find a source or reason for it, I'm unsure if I could endure that again and still retain what is left of my sanity!

            All the best
            Euan

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2014
                The Hum started up again this week on Wednesday afternoon  in Johannesburg, South Africa. It had been a thin thrum high above for nearly two weeks - whoopie, yay, relief. We have had a lot of (blessed) rain over the period. I put it down to that.
                 I fully support Glen's effort and have just reread his theory on Hum's waxing and waning. It makes so much sense. Once the crowd funding account for Glen's experiment  is set up I will gladly contribute (please note our local currency, the rand, is 11 to the dollar but it will be worth every cent. If we all contribute the box will be built and tested this year. He clearly needs our help).
                I am going to London, the UK, on Friday for three weeks to see my hubby and will visit institutions there that may be useful.  You may also want to read newly published The Effects of Low-Frequency Noise and Vibration on People, edited by Colin Hansen. It's a compilation of studies of said title; easily sourced online (ordered and received mine via Wordpress). The publisher's Multi-Science Publishing is in Essex, the UK. Researchers note weighting C would be more appropriate for human environments than the widely used (no doubt more economically viable) weighting A.
                Of note ch2, p 101, LFN effects on people refers to a growing number of sufferers presenting  Psych-Acoustic effects, including lack of sleep, annoyance, etc, and suggests more studies. The report also says more sufferers will cause a drag on production and affected areas will become economic wastelands - an  incentive for governments to pay attention if ever there was one.
                Where is Demings these days? Why is he not working with Glen on the proposed experiment?
                Love and peace to all you amazing minds across the world,
                Lisle

                I wear hearing aids, have done for +15 years and am 44-years-old now - if I don't wear 'em I don't hear much. Masking noise has to be REALLY loud to help.

                Sent from Samsung Mobile