Deming's report and www.thehum.info/

  • Pangaban1
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2013
      Hi all,
      Greetings. I 'hear' the hum almost every night here in Johannesburg, South Africa. It's loud and makes getting enough sleep a mission.
      Re: gas lines
      There are no gas lines here. Gas (lng) is shipped in and transported in tankers. Steve, read page 579 of Deming's 2004 (we know more now) report easily available on the internet. He says hearers cling to any explanation regardless.
      Here's the excerpt: (page 579) cut and pasted from Deming..
      ''In the absence of an answer provided by science, Hum hearers tend to find an explanation and hang onto it, sometimes even in the face of strong contradictory evidence. Human beings seem to have a psychological need for answers even if the answers are wrong. Every hearer has a theory.
      [Some Hum hearers] are convinced aliens or secret military installations are to blame (Palfreyman, 1999: 29).
      Hummers ... have blamed defence radar systems, air conditioning, water pumps, factory noises, microwave levels, high pressure gas transmission pipes, seismic fault lines, [and] residual noise left over from the big bang (Sieveking, 1996: 17).
      A German website (http://www.igzab.de/English/FAQ/faq.html) devoted to the Hum relates the story of a woman who is firmly convinced that the Hum she hears is caused by engines idling at a nearby airport. It is a reasonable conclusion. But in defiance of all logic and common sense, the same individual remains convinced that she is correct even when she hears the Hum at a location hundreds of kilometers from her home.
      Internal or External?
      When consulted, most physicians invariably diagnose the Hum as tinnitus because it is the only option known to medical science. Walford (1983: 74) subjected 23 people who heard the Hum to a battery of tests and concluded that 10 of these ‘‘definitely have low-frequency tinnitus’’. However, his methodology was badly flawed. Walford (1983: 73) assumed that any perceived sound associated with the Hum that could not be blocked by earmuffs must be internally generated and therefore tinnitus. But if the Hum were due to some type of electromagnetic radiation, the source could be external..'

      Me again: Gas lines post date earliest reports.
      It emanates from  very low frequency man-made transmitters, possibly converted to civilian application.  Check out the www.thehum.info/ as well as the hum map. It's  current - October- December  2013.
      If you want to really get angry read the BioInitiative report 2012, which updates the 2007 report by 29 scientists. We are included, though the report is wider.  Read the chapter titled, Do We know Enough?

      Best wishes for 2014, please let's work to make it the year The Hum is  uncovered through informed awareness and the sources curbed through public pressure.

      Lisle

      Sent from Samsung Mobile
    • Lisle Daverin

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2013

            In a message dated 26/12/2013 22:47:17 GMT Standard Time, c_o_p_s_ne@... writes:
            Check out the www.thehum.info/ as well as the hum map. It's  current - October- December  2013.
            If you want to really get angry read the BioInitiative report 2012, which updates the 2007 report by 29 scientists. We are included, though the report is wider.  Read the chapter titled, Do We know Enough?

            Best wishes for 2014, please let's work to make it the year The Hum is  uncovered through informed awareness and the sources curbed through public pressure.

            Lisle
            Prof. Deming had to be 'even handed' when describing the Hum problem.
            ( By the way, was that the paper that included my cartoon
             of the lady (me), with headphones and a microphone trying to record the Hum ?)
             It largely echoes my own experience with hundreds of people who have called or written to this Helpline.
            Earmuffs might not block a low frequency Hum  : I would expect
             because of the long wavelength, it could still reach the hearing
             mechanism via the soft tissues in the face, and via the air ways, i.e., nose, mouth.
            Because there have been so many identified sources, plus the ubiquitous nature of the noise, I
            have to keep thinking that it ("it" may be the wrong word, it might be 'plural'....) , might simply be the sum total of  perhaps many ' residual ' noises, i.e., the components with  lowest frequency that are left to travel out, then maybe mingle together into a sort of ' acoustic fog ', after the higher frequencies have been naturally attenuated. That to me is the only feasible answer, at present.
            I have yet to be convinced that humans can 'hear' radio or phone waves, and I have never heard a hum from gas pipes, only a gentle 'hiss'.
             (If 'gas' is involved, I would want the compressor stations to be recorded,
             to check  for dominant frequencies...)
            It would appear that there will be nothing much we can do about it, if I am right,  because the world is fast filling up, and all the developing countries want to get mechanised, in other words, have their own Industrial Revolution...so we might well be in for more and more Hum sufferers reporting their discomfort....
            Happy New Year to all.
            Rosemarie Mann,
            ' LFNS Help ',
            England.