ear physiology

  • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2013

      Wanted to share an email I received from a friend who I just discovered also hears the Hum.  We have talked about ear physiology before, but it helps to hear others responses to meds, etc.

      This person lives very near me and he too just started hearing it again.  Though, as of now, my husband and I have only heard it the nights of Oct 30, Nov 6 and Nov 15.    Strange……

      Just wanted to share.  Thanks!

      Hi Danyele -- I have a long history of hearing "hum" - a couple of years ago I started hearing very low frequency booming like a distant freeway or car playing heavy-bass music - periodically. It would just start and stop suddenly with no rhyme or reason, although mostly near home or in enclosed spaces, and mostly in early morning or night. This comes and goes at different times of the year. I thought I was going mad initially as [my wife] couldn't hear anything. Did a lot of trying to figure out  the when/where and researching the "hum" on the internet. Later, I started to get problems with my right ear blocking up, so I went to the ENT, who put me on nasal steroids. This hugely reduced the amount I was hearing the "hum" - although it has not gone entirely.

      So my current thinking is I think there is definitely something "out there", but whether I not I hear it is dependent on the state of my ear canal... perhaps there is some kind of resonance with ear fluid at certain low frequencies?

      Anyway, I hadn't heard the "hum" for months, but it started again a couple of weeks ago... don't hear it most of the time now though (I'm still on the steroids)