Mysterious sounds over Saskatoon

  • JD
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2013
      ...with four recordings... the sounds of pipelines ?

      "Mysterious sounds over Saskatoon have locals looking for answers"

      By Scott Sutherland | Geekquinox - Thu, 14 Nov, 2013

      http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/mysterious-sounds-over-saskatoon-locals-looking-answers-173219897.html

      JD

    • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2013

        Those are weird!

        Totally unlike the hum we hear but just as mysterious.

        By the way, Oct 30th and Nov 6th are the ONLY two nights we’ve had the hum to a level that we could hear  (and, oh my goodness was it bad).

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2013
          Sounds like control valves in a pipeline misbehaving.  Reverberating down miles of pipeline.  They're pushing these systems to hard....

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2013
            Hi, all.
            It's interesting to hear the similarity of those metal-on-metal sounds :
            I just hope they are not an elaborate hoax, wasting our time....
            Could it be loading of shipping containers (or UN-loading ?)
            Could it be scraping  train rails (of dirt or ice) ?
            What is common to all areas?
            What do the local authorities say about the noises?
            Whatever it is, I can see how it could be very irritating or worrying....
            And what we all say about the mystery 'Hum' ,
            ( the comparitively dicreet noise at low frequencies,
             so often described in such similar terms all over the developed world, as far as I can tell),
            that it does cause serious stress and sleep loss, is borne out by this article that I was just reading :

            Estimates of sound annoyance typically rely on weighting filters, which consider some sound frequencies to be more important than others based on their presumed audibility to humans. The older dB(A) weighting filter described above is used widely in the U.S., but underestimates the impact of frequencies around 6000 Hz and at very low frequencies. The newer ITU-R 468 noise weighting filter is used more widely in Europe. The propagation of sound varies between environments; for example, low frequencies typically carry over longer distances. Therefore different filters, such as dB(B) and dB(C), may be recommended for specific situations.

            Furthermore, studies have shown that neighborhood noise (consisting of noise from neighboring apartments, as well as noise within one's own apartment or home) can cause significant irritation and noise stress within people, due to the great deal of time people spend in their residences. This can result in an increased risk of depression and psychological disorders,[34][35] migraines, and even emotional stress.[35]--------------------------------------------

            It's what I have been saying for many years.

            The people who phone 'LFNS Help' often are being affected by neighbours' equipment, and it's usually very difficult to get any remedy.

            The noise does not have to be loud in the accepted sense to be very disruptive.

            Today, here near Southampton, England, the wind is coming from the city side,

             and there is a very  distinct low frequency noise pollution.

            I think it is probably a combination of docks, motorways, industrial sites, or any number of other potential culprits.

            It is definitely floating on the wind, here....

            It is  the typical low droning sound, but it is worrying, because I am sure it has become louder since last year, for example, when I remember noticing it, now and then.

            Ah, I have just noticed, it is sounding louder indoors just now.....maybe a plane coming into the airport , on top of the background LFN ?  ....Hmmmm...it is going on longer than a plane takes to come in....

            (we do get a lot of plane noise here, from Eastleigh (Southampton) Airport,

            and there is talk of it being expanded.....oh dear.....)

            Sadly I have mislaid my sensitive sound recording device, but will try to find it and get a sample of the noise before the wind changes round to its more common westerly.

            Then maybe I can get some help to upload it, so you can listen to it.

            I have for many years suspected that background levels of general 'hub-bub' of cities might be a major factor in 'The Hum'

            Plus it may have been confusing to call it 'THE' Hum, singular, suggesting one source.

            It could simply be that there is more and more general industrial activity, as time goes on, overcrowding increases, and activities of all sorts connected to the modern mechanised daily life, make more and more people start to be affected by low frequency background noise.

            Which has been suggested  years ago.....

            Luckily, and a little oddly, the LFN outside  here today is louder than inside : which is the opposite of what I was expecting. With double glazing at our previous house, it was louder INSIDE than outside.Here, we have mostly single glazing....

            I keep thinking 'it' is airborne, because for many months, it has been moderately quiet, and I have enjoyed listening to the stillness of the air. I have had a lot of stress this summer, with voluntary work that has become increasingly difficult, plus intrusive building noise, but in spite of the serious stress levels, it was mostly very quiet, at least, at night, when you need it most ! So my point is, it doesn't always follow that we might automatically become super-sensitive just when serious stress sets in, although I admit that COULD happen....The point is, it didn't, this time !

            Because the noise was not loud enough to be intrusive. In fact, I could only hear blissful silence quite often.

            I realise I am less stressed  just now, having had a good rest, but the noise IS outside....it is not getting me down, yet ! I fully expect the wind to go round to westerly, in which case, the Hum / LFN will stop....as it has done so often before. Pointing to the city as supplying LFN sources, of whatever sort.

            It is a little frustrating in a way, to recall that as far back as the early 1970's, a study by Vesudevan et al at Southampton University, concluded that 'The Hum' was due to "distant industrial sources".

            All sufferers  can do is try to find a place to escape to, or try to control the symptoms of stress, etc., by whatever reasonable means they can....

            Best Wishes,

            Rosemarie Mann,

            'LFNS Help',

            England.

            My long document is at the  link below,

            by kind permission of the N.H.S.in England.

            Search for 'low frequency noise'.

            www.healthwatchgloucestershire.co.uk