HUM in Ashland Oregon and everywhere

  • marykwart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2013

      I have heard the hum starting in summer of 2008. I hear it only at night. I have been in very few places where I haven't heard it. One of those was Buena Vista Colorado in August of 2011. Strangely enough, it is very loud in some wilderness areas (I do a lot of backpacking). One place that was particularly loud was on the Pacific Crest Trail near Lake Tahoe in September of 2008 and on the south end of the Hawaii's Big Island in winter of 2010. I mentioned how loud the HUM to my friends while we were eating breakfast at their house--I am leery about talking about it, but it was so loud I had to comment. The woman was shocked and pleased to find out about it! She had been hearing it for a while and had no idea it was a worldwide phenomena.

      I can ignore it, but always hear it when I turn my attention toward it. It sounds like a diesel log truck idling to me. And no matter where I am, it sounds like it is coming from above the left side of my head maybe about 250 feet away. It doesn't sound close, probably like  hearing a log truck idling at a distance on the road when you are in your house. It is usually a sporadic sound, with some pauses of a few seconds. In some places it has been a steady sound, but in most places it is a few seconds of low, then a few of louder, then quiet in a random pattern.

      Mary "Fireweed" Kwart

      I have heard that it is louder when the temperature is colder--maybe this is the reason I only hear it at night. This may be also be the reason it starts in fall for some people. I think some people are like HUM "tuning forks" that pick up this vibration, whatever the cause of it. My old boyfriend never heard it when I was hearing it.

    • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2013

        Thank you for sharing!

        We are still quiet, but I find myself ‘listening’ for it so I know EXACTLY when it starts to make comparisons to others who are in my area.

        Will do some research on the areas you mentioned (at some point in the near future).

        I have a ton on my HUM to-do list!

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 18, 2013
          The Hum is louder than ever in New Jersey... why can't anyone figure this out?
          Dee