RE: Re: HUM_FORUM: New LF "noise"

  • wfbarto
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
      I have noticed that the hum (that basically restarted around September 1st) seems to have a slightly "higher" pitch to it now.  I have also noticed that when it is the loudest that it has a significant "resonance" to it.  I believe this is what causes the pulsating effect.  As you breathe in and out, the inner ear pressure varies, and as you do this, it causes the hum to have a pulsating effect.  I think that when you do this it alternately interrupts the hum's "resonance" effect.  Try plugging your nose with your hand and then attempting to blow air out with your mouth closed..... then let go of your hand from your nose.  I think you will notice what I am talking about....

      Strangely... the hum volume has dropped off again over the last 24 hours.  It did not disappear completely, but last night it was much quieter than the preceding nights.  We shall see where it goes from here!

      ---In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <humforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The HUM I hear most often is the pulsating variety.  It changes in intensity, however this time (yesterday) it came with an associated  high pitched piercing noise when it was at its loudest around 3am.  I have never experienced this high pitched associated noise before.   It takes much inner strength and resolve to ignore it.

      Sorry to hear that you too have this pulsating HUM.  I am in Auckland New Zealand and the HUM has been overly intense during late September and very loud yesterday.  It has been the most intense lately that I have experienced.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013

        Hi, Danyele,

        I still haven't had the surgery on my tensor tympani, I need to wait until December to see an otoneurologist. One of the doctors I contacted said that it can be managed by medications but I am reluctant to take any medications (apart from the natural herbs and probably ayurvedic approach). The other doctor can perform the surgery but he warned me that though I will not lose my hearing, I will be hearing in a different way... I am still pondering on which option to chose, but I am 100% convinced that I suffer from middle ear myoclonus (have heard and felt it like a fluttering in my ear many nights and mornings)...  In any case, I will let you know of the outcome!

        Danyele, there is a German researched who has done its extensive research on the Hum and the MEM and presented it in 40 pages on the German Brum (Hum) forum. I also think that he has linked this to the electricity. Here is the link for you to read:

        http://f3.webmart.de/f.cfm?id=234287&r=search&q=tensor+tympani

        I recall that you know German and have helped Glen for the Huminfo site. I am not using German at all and I struggled to get a sensible translation through the Google translator. If you are interested and have some time, may you be able to go through this research and give us some insight of the main points? I have already asked a friend, a Hum sufferer to help me with translating this but it is a task too much time consuming for one person to do...

        There is someone of the Google Hum sufferers group, Barry Fletcher, who is about to explain of why the Hum stops and starts for some of us (is it cyclic?). He needs as many as possible Hum sufferers to lead a diary for the month of October and just answer the question whether they have heard the Hum around 9 pm (no matter which geographical area), then send him back the survey. For those interested to participate, please visit the Google groups forum and fill in the logs page which is attached there. Hopefully he will throw some light on this issue very soon.

        Take care,

        Regards,

        Lidia

        ---In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <wfbarto@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
          Thanks for sharing !   I will work on the translation but it may be a little while as i am positive i will need help and will ask my mother in law.
          Thank you!

          Sent from my iPhone so please pardon typos and auto-corrects

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2013
              Hi, Steve,
              Unfortunately for me "string207" does not work, and I am not trying to mask the Hum but to de-tune my body and ear response from it. If one day I was a non hearer, then I could reverse the body condition and through a specific dietary change (it takes long and seems to be like shooting around without aim sometimes), come back to "normality" (if non hearing this is the norm).
              I have stated in my previous messages that deaf people most probably hear the Hum as they have damaged outer hair cells (these are responsible for frequency modulation and get damaged when a hearing loss occurs). Cutting though the problem for me would be a radical thing, like the tensor tympani surgery. Why I am so convinced? Many people with tensor tymapni myoclonus have reported symptoms similar to the hum hearers (thumping, thudding, fluttering etc.). Once the surgery performed, their symptoms dissapeared. I am not saying that the Hum will dissapear, but probably my sensitivity to it will decrease, thus saving me from long years of insanity, alienation and depression. And at the end, there is this German research which is worth trying to read and understand. Thank you, Danyele, for your cooperation! I hope you'll get something for yourself from it.
              It is impossible to stop the Hum, fighting with the big corporations responsible for it is like David vs. Goliath, but with no happy end to this story.
              I mentioned before that one could try and contact Erin Brockovich, as you have done, Steve, before. Maybe if you show her your map of the Hum and make her compare it with her map (of cancer clusters and water contamination), you could win her on your side to help...
              Best wishes to all,
              Lidia

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2013
                Not alone.. Years ago when I heard the hum it was a constant steady
                drone.. The last 5 years I when I have heard it,, it is much more like what
                you describe as it being morphed into.. When I begin to realize it is
                back,, first I notice that upsetting drone come on like just out of nowhere
                and get the sinking feeling in my gut,, then it will start doing its
                cycling and pulsating and etc. etc. etc varying its miserable self with no
                real pattern.. What a depressing feeling when I "hear" the hum is back.

                But so far this year I am still completely hum free.. going on must be 8 or
                9 months.. I only wish the rest of you could say the same..

                All the best..

                As a side note.. if you have not tried the 207 blocking tone/with or without
                the white noise.. many humlings do find it can effectively block it out if
                used properly.. they are both in the files section..

                string

                I am hearing a change in the "hum" at different times. I do not know if it
                is associated with the usual and constant LF hum that I have been hearing
                for years now - this one has been plaguing me for about two weeks - it is a
                rhythmic pulsating "hum". I have, as usual, sought a source within my home
                with absolutely NO success. This phantom hum may be somewhere near my house
                or could even be here "somehow" and "somewhere" hidden within some device
                that is changing
                - but I've added nothing new to my house. I am very good now at seeking out
                the causes of any unfamiliar "hums" just to assure myself that this
                debilitating, insane low frequency has not "morphed" into something more
                sinister. This pulsating noise seems to vibrate my ear drums. Am I along in
                this "new" noise?

                1. The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that
                implies. Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is
                welcome. Criticism of persons and personalities is unwelcome.
                2. The following are not allowed: personal attacks, gratuitous profanity,
                "kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
                3. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have substantive content.
                In general, no more than three per person per day.
                4. If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 18, 2013

                    I had to get help on this hum forum translation: http://f3.webmart.de/f.cfm?id=234287&r=search&q=tensor+tympani

                    They are discussing the question if the muscles "musculus stapedius" (in the leg), and musculus "tensor tympany"  (ear drum)- are effected by the hum.
                    Myoklonien (muscle jerks)- that have a ticking sound...the ear drum muscle can have either a rhythmic, or non-rhythmic ticking. The ear too reacts with rhythmic ticking to  outside sounds like opening of a faucet, start of a vacuum cleaner, cars going by and the sound of a crackling paper bag.  Theory is, that when the "tensor tympany" is irritated by impulses of infrasound it can produce a light humming in the ear drum, or affect the muscles.