207hz - not for me

  • kevbob1k
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

      Just checked out 207hz & I've got to say this the last thing I would want to substitute for the hum. It sounds just as bad to me, just at a higher frequency.

      I've been experimenting with ambient music & have found something on itunes, which works well for me, played on a loop on my iphone through ear buds or stereo speakers. The sounds are at a fairly consistent level, unlike the sound of waves, which don’t work as well. I used it every night for about 3 weeks & recently the hum has not been as noticeable, to the extent that I didn’t need it for the last couple of nights. Maybe the hum is in a down phase or maybe the ‘music’ has retrained my hearing? – watch this space…

      The David Sun Natural Sound Collection: Sounds of the Earth – Rock Water

    • Stringpickin
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

        That’s too bad..    Did you try it at very low volume levels?  It will cancel out the hum at an extremely low decibel level..

        Then there is the  207 mixed with white noise that I actually use now..  Same thing with it,, being the 207 is buried in it, you can’t hear the stand alone 207hz…  but the db level of the white noise combo does not need to be very high to mask the hum207..

        string

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

          In my findings,, The hum is either there or not,, at a lower miserable intensity or a higher miserable intensity.. so any sound/masking source in my opinion will “never” cause the hum to actually disappear or lesson physically…   If you notice the hum gone after 3 weeks of listening to any masking noise,, the hum is gone,, not negated by some means by the masking noise..   This is my opinion on the matter.

          All the best

          Barry

          p.s.  In my experience the lower miserable intensity takes even a lower db level of masking noise, and a higher miserable intensity takes a higher db level of masking noise.   But in all experiments I have done… There is no other noise/masking source that requires less db’s to mask the hum than the 207.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

              Also…

              Playing the 207,,  while the ceiling fans and hepa’s actually knocks the hum out.  So instead of just covering it with the ceiling fan and hepa noise you can actually turn the “hum” off.   And generally never hear the 207 while the hepa and ceiling fans are going..    During the day instead of using the 207/whitenoise file that I sleep with..   I just use the 207 from my computer up loud enough to negate the hum, then I listen to radio/cds/tv at a volume that hides the 207.. which doesn’t have to be very loud because the 207 does not have to be very loud to negate the hum..   a little experimentation can be very relieving..

              string

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013
                😎

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

                    I am not much for the bay area,, but I do really like the Santa Cruz area.. If you get to Capitola..   you will enjoy.. touristy of course, but a little city/pubs/restaurants/ice cream all right on the beach..  one of my fav spots..

                    I live inland and north .. about 5 hour drive from capitola.

                    Enjoy your trip

                    string

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 22, 2013

                        Well, I guess it was just tempting fate to say the hum had gone... it was back last night & still quite loud this morning at 7am.

                        This seems to have been the pattern with my hum: it comes & goes at varying intensities, which seems to point to it emanating from some form of industrial noise pollution somewhere in the vicinity.

                        The sound was definitely more of a pulsing nature today (like a generator), so I am still not entirely convinced that it isn't some kind of appliance belonging to either my upstairs or next door neighbour, but I am able to pull master fuses that shuts off electricity to both of them & when I ran this test, the hum was still there. However, this doesn't account for gas & water.

                        The hum really only bothers me at night, which is why I said 207hz wasn't for me. I wouldn't be able to sleep with that + any other masking sounds needed to cover it. But I'm glad it's a solution for others. We need anything we can get; that's why I posted the Rock Water info. Hope it can help someone else.

                        Best wishes to you all.

                        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <humforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                      • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 22, 2013

                          So, it picked up in NJ, KS, TN recently.

                          Not yet here in Bloomington, IN…I’m surrounded on several sides.

                          Anyone else from Indiana hearing it yet?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 23, 2013
                            Western CT less intense this AM - Monday