Re: HUM_FORUM: Hum link to DC massacure

  • Glen MacPherson
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 19, 2013
      Hi.

      I'm about to post a major update on things, but before I do, I wonder if somebody could tell me precisely what a "LF microwave" is.

      Thanks

      Glen MacPherson
      (from my iPhone)

      Yes, we too think he was pummeled by the LF microwaves. How did you get your LF measures? We rented a Human Vibration Meter from a company called Larson Davis. It very clearly identifies vibrations in the Northern NY area, however, to get someone to look and comprehend is another story. (They don't hear/feel it - and therefore cannot be convinced.)  I live with a sufferer, but have taken the time to do massive amounts of research and I am convinced that ALL of you are suffering greatly. I can't even imagine.....Our efforts must continue - that is certain.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 19, 2013
          I live in NJ and noticed the intensity of the hum increased in September also.

          wfbarto@... wrote:

           Hi Patty....I did hear about the reference to "ELF" that he had etched into and written on the barrel of his shotgun.  When I heard it on the news, they said that the "officials" had NO idea what this could possibly mean or be in reference to!  What a bunch of empty brains we have leading these investigations!

          I have noticed that the "hum" has picked back up in intensity and daily duration over the past few weeks (since the beginning of September) at my location after about 4 months of relative calm from May through the end of August.  The previous theory posted on this forum about the intensity of the hum correlating to the amount of sunspot activity would seem to be debunked by this timing as I have read several articles about the sunspot activity being at an all time low since the beginning of September  The beginning of September was just about the time when I began to notice an increase in the intensity and daily duration of the hum.

          Any other thoughts on this?

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <humforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi Steve and Denise; I didn't hear about the vibrations but I did hear Diane Sawyer repeating the message that was left on his gun. It said something about this being my ELF weapon. This hum is dangerous. I have read different messages around the web when I was first searching this thing out and some people get paranoid, some blamed teenagers with wireless toys. Maybe the FCC will be forced to reinvestigate the not often observed Microwave Auditory Effect. Hazard now being innocent lives being taken.
          Patty

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013
            Outside of my own senses, i have found quite a few others that sense it in one way or another after pointing it out to them.  But the majority are clueless.  I do see VAS symptoms  and provide explanation of the potential cause.  Then they start talking about unexplainable onset in the last couple years ( here in My area) symptoms like migranes, vertigo, insomnia, pet agitation, etc),

            For my purposes to understanding the sound characteristics, relative intensity levels for field mapping,  validation that the sound is active, etc (not concerned about absolute accrucy, only relative differences) I use computer programs on my laptop to view the sound wave characteristics, relative intensities, see how the sound looks vs the feel, etc.  hearing and feeling are really like the scout to find the hum. The tools prove it out.

             I mostly of late use FFT tools. In the past used 1/3 octave analyzer and spectrograph tools that have some useful options to help visualize whats going on. I've spent over $2,000 on software, mics , etc. Not concerned about recording the sound audio. The ones out there on the sites (actual or synthsized) are good for demonstrating to non hummers.

            Stay tuned, may need everyones support on the phenomena, regardless of your convictions about the cause

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013
              I dont need to remind the regulars on here what my findings point to as the source here in CT and other locations I've visited to
              You all miight want to view my map in the files section and plot these dasterly occurances on it for yourselves. The map has a substantial data base I've collected.

              On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:27 AM, <wfbarto@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > ><!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

            • b596sm
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013

                The hum has increased in intensity here in Kansas also. I had the same relative quiet through the summer.

                  c_o_p_s_ne@... wrote:

                  Does anyone get a feeling this guy was pummeled by Hum.  My map has DC/ Ft Worth and DeKalb as clusters.  He lived there and the authorities say he was being subjected to microwave vibrations by someone and could not sleep (obviously I subscribe to HP NG pipelines, not microwaves).  I have the LF measurements of the hum from 2010 in Lanzas neighborhood, sent to CT authorities, and my own personal observations of it a few miles from his home.

                • dee benedetto
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013
                    ELF waves are electromagnetic low frequency waves. radiation or radio waves, VHF  and UHF are high frequency.

                    To: humforum@yahoogroups.com

                    c_o_p_s_ne@... wrote:

                    Does anyone get a feeling this guy was pummeled by Hum.  My map has DC/ Ft Worth and DeKalb as clusters.  He lived there and the authorities say he was being subjected to microwave vibrations by someone and could not sleep (obviously I subscribe to HP NG pipelines, not microwaves).  I have the LF measurements of the hum from 2010 in Lanzas neighborhood, sent to CT authorities, and my own personal observations of it a few miles from his home.

                  • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013

                      Microwaves where the first thing that I thought when I heard about the shooter having ‘voices in his head’.   He also could have had schizophrenia, but who knows….

                      My thought is that there is no such thing as LF microwaves.  The definition of microwaves involves only high frequency waves.  Microwave frequencies are “roughly 1.0 gigahertz to 30 gigahertz”

                      Which is wavelenths from 30 centimeters to 1.0 cm.

                      I evidently need a lesson in this, as I found this article below and it does mention “extremely low frequency microwaves”.

                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15586889

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013

                        Oh God, that means it will probably start up here in South-Central Indiana soon.   We seem to start up in October.

                        For the persons from Tennessee and Terre Haute, IN.   Are you guys hearing it yet?

                        Sigh………..

                        wfbarto@... wrote:

> [...]

                        > ><!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013
                          Just to add to some of the discussion around this...

                          LF Microwave would be kind of an oxymoron in the strictest sense. We
                          typically measure frequency in Hertz (Hz) which is the same a "cycles
                          per second". Radio waves are often measured in kHz (kilohertz or
                          thousands of Hz), MHz (Megahertz or millions of Hz), and GHz (gigahertz
                          or thousands of millions of Hz). Radio waves travel at the speed of
                          light or 300,000 meters per second. Given that you can calculate how
                          "long" a single wave would be--this is called wavelength. It is measured
                          in meters (like for Citizens Band radio, it is at around 27 MHz which
                          gives you around 11 Meters). In the really old days receivers even used
                          wavelength instead of frequencies.

                          The exact definition of microwaves varies. Some standards say 300 MHz to
                          300 GHz. Most RF (radio frequency) engineers will generally refer to
                          things over 1 GHz as microwaves. (While things under are ultrahigh
                          frequencies (UHF), very high frequencies (VHF), and so forth.) "Micro"
                          is used to mean small and isn't really tied to the wavelength being
                          "micrometers" or anything like that.

                          LF or Low Frequency typically means frequencies between 30 kHz and 300
                          kHz. (Medium frequencies are 300 kHz to 3 MHz, short wave is 3 MHz to 30
                          MHz, VHF is 30 MHz to 300 MHz, then most RF engineers would say UHF is
                          from 300 MHz to 1 GHz and microwaves are above that--but it is also
                          reasonable to call signals from 300 MHz up to 30 GHz or above microwaves.)

                          I haven't followed the whole discussion, but I believe that LF Microwave
                          as discussed here has tended to refer to a microwave signal (including
                          cell phone and public safety radio signals) that have some kind of lower
                          frequency (but not LF as LF is defined when referring to radio
                          waves--rather "low frequency" as it would mean in audio terms)
                          modulation on it.

                          For example, if a few years ago (before digital TV) you were watching Ed
                          Sullivan reruns on TV Channel 50 or so, that signal was up around 700
                          MHz. If someone hit a Middle C note on the show, that was at 261.6 Hz.
                          The math and details really don't matter (and aren't trivial), but the
                          700 MHz signal was "modulated" by the 261.6 Hz signal. (There is also
                          modulation that carried the video signal but that gets a lot more complex.)

                          So the tower is broadcasting this modulated signal at around 700 MHz. At
                          the television you take that signal, demodulate it, and then recover the
                          Middle C note as an audio frequency.

                          Microwaves are also sometimes sent using time-division multiplexing
                          (TDM). That's a complicated term for just saying someone may use the
                          channel for a few milliseconds and then gives someone else the chance to
                          use it for the next few milliseconds. For example, the TETRA radios used
                          for public safety divide each second into 18 slots (each of around 5.6
                          milliseconds). In theory, you can do a mathematical manipulation (called
                          a Fourier transform) that shows the RF signal with it's modulation will
                          have some component that is 18 Hz (from the 18 slots per second).

                          So the hypothesis is that somehow something like that 18 Hz component of
                          the TETRA signal could cause "The Hum" in some people. I think you could
                          print this off, take it to a professor of physics and he'd nod his head
                          in agreement (probably pointing out a number of simplifying assumptions
                          or generalizations in my thinking) up to the point of the hypothesis.

                          Having worked with microwaves I will say that a nice walk in a forest
                          after a rain should offer relief if this was really happening in some
                          simple way--microwave signals hate foliage and especially hate damp
                          foliage. Also the signals that are broadcast for things like TETRA or
                          cellular phones use less power than a light bulb--these aren't massive,
                          powerful radios. Many of them use power that is more along the power of
                          a typical nightlight (around 4 watts).

                          I will also say that it is pretty well accepted that there have been
                          things like tooth fillings picking up radio signals. The typical AM
                          broadcast is between 530 kHz and 1700 kHz. Many times these signals are
                          transmitted with thousands of watts of power (50,000 watt for some of
                          the "clear channel" AM stations). The tooth would act like a simple
                          crystal radio (or look up "foxhole radio"--you can easily receive these
                          signals with a safety pin and an old razor blade). I am not aware of
                          anything that is "peer reviewed" or widely accepted that would say
                          someone could somehow be sensitive to the 18 Hz component of a TETRA
                          signal. (I have read some articles that have been referenced in the
                          past. Being candid, I found them lacking. But that certainly doesn't
                          mean that a connection doesn't exist or is impossible.) These signals
                          are much weaker and at much higher frequencies. You can't pick it up
                          with some simple mechanism like a "rusty razor blade" which makes it
                          less intuitive in nature than the fillings receiving AM radio signals were.

                          I would be interested in whether the way I've tried to define the use of
                          "LF Microwave" matches what other people were thinking. I will also say
                          that even though I may sound skeptical, I don't think it's an
                          unreasonable hypothesis. I just haven't seen anything that would move it
                          beyond being a hypothesis and, sadly, some of the attempts by people
                          that don't seem familiar with basic radio frequency theories probably
                          does more to raise ridcule than interest with people who could do
                          meaningful research if they were motivated. (That isn't directed at
                          members of this group at all, I'm talking about other things you'll find
                          on the Internet where some people have tried to draw strange
                          connections, especially around TETRA. A simple non-technical example
                          would be that if you read an article about "blowing up a balloon" and
                          another about "blowing up a bridge", you wouldn't say that they were
                          basically the same thing but just a matter of scale. They are, in fact,
                          totally different and it is the English language that makes an artifical
                          connection between the two. Much of what I've read around the link to
                          TETRA seems to rely more on quirks of language and definition than it
                          does on science.)

                          If I were going to offer a one line definition of "LF Microwave" (as I
                          understand the group to be using the term), I would say that it is a
                          radio frequency signal 300 MHz or higher that contains modulation or
                          modulation artifacts in the lower audible (30 to 300 Hz) or sub-audible
                          range (3 to 30 Hz).

                          I apologize in advance for any toes unintentionally stepped on...

                          Jim
                        • wfbarto

> [...]

                                > ><!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

                                Recent Activity:
                              • JD
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 21, 2013
                                  --- At 06:57 AM 20 09 2013, Cottrell, Danyele Marie wrote:

                                  >Microwaves where the first thing that I thought when I heard about the shooter having "voices in his head". He also could have had schizophrenia, but who knows....

                                  "Hallucinations in the sane" - From Wikipedia:
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinations_in_the_sane

                                  Google... "auditory hallucinations" + "hearing voices" + "normal subjects" -
                                  http://www.google.com/search?q=%22auditory+hallucinations%22+%22hearing+voices%22+%22normal+subjects%22

                                  ( Many references from serious, professional medical research. )

                                  >My thought is that there is no such thing as LF microwaves. The definition of microwaves involves only high frequency waves. Microwave frequencies are "roughly 1.0 gigahertz to 30 gigahertz"
                                  >Which is wavelenths from 30 centimeters to 1.0 cm.
                                  >
                                  >I evidently need a lesson in this, as I found this article below and it does mention "extremely low frequency microwaves".
                                  >http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15586889

                                  Well, its title correctly includes the phrase:

                                  "...extremely low frequency-modulated microwaves"

                                  But it also refers to "extremely low frequency microwaves" as if those are the same as "extremely low frequency-modulated microwaves" (i.e., microwaves modulated at extremely low frequency).

                                  Microwaves always have very high frequencies, regardless of their modulation (high or low), or lack thereof.

                                  The "modulation" is a secondary frequency that's carried on the primary waves (in this case, carried "on" microwaves).

                                  JD

                                  ..
                                • Jim
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 21, 2013
                                    > I evidently need a lesson in this, as I found this article
                                    below and it does mention “extremely low frequency microwaves”.

                                    > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15586889
                                    style="font-size:11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">

                                    It does get confusing because there are so many references that just assume you have a degree in physics, medicine, or engineering. Actually there are parts of this that don't seem to make sense on their own. I would need to look at the complete study to better understand what they are talking about. But, as you point out, the conclusion says:

                                    "The data obtained provide additional evidence that repeated low-level exposure to extremely low frequency microwaves can modify an activity of cholinergic system in the brain."

                                    So there is a pretty explicit reference as you mention. But looking back there are parts I can explain.

                                    "Averaged frequency spectra (0.5-30 Hz) of the electroencephalogram were studied in freely moving rats with carbon electrodes implanted into the somatosensory cortex."

                                    Basically what that means is that they were taking an EEG of the rats. I'm not an expert in that area, but basically an EEG would measure the electrical impulses using probes on the scalp. This would give you a view of brain activity. They did look only at sub-audible frequencies (the 0.5 to 30 Hz they mention means signals that repeated every two seconds up to speeds of thirty times per second). I think those are fairly normal frequencies to study brain activity while avoiding noise. (For example, you couldn't get a meaningful reading up at 50 Hz in Europe or 60 Hz in North America because those are the frequencies the power grid operates on. The sensors would pick up nothing but noise unless you had significant shielding. Also my understanding is that most meaningful brain activity that we can measure happens at those lower frequencies anyway.)

                                    "The rats were repeatedly (3 days, 30 min day(-1)) exposed to low-intensity (approximately = 0.3 mW cm(-2)) microwaves (915 MHz, 20-ms pulse duration), amplitude modulated (square-wave) at extremely low frequency (4 Hz)."

                                    Parts of this are clear, but other parts don't make sense. Starting at the first, they were studied over three days and zapped with microwaves for 30 minutes per day. That is reasonably straight forward. It doesn't seem like much time. I'm not sure why the (-1) is in there and there could be some symbol that is getting left out.

                                    Let's talk about "low-intensity". The units seem messed up, but I think they mean 0.3 milliwatts per cm^2 (centimeter squared). That is the standard unit for measuring RF exposure of humans. Is that really "low-intensity"?

                                    There are standards for human exposure. A pretty decent (and understandable) write up is on the site of the national organization for radio amateurs (the American Radio Relay League or the ARRL for short).

                                    http://www.arrl.org/the-fcc-s-new-rf-exposure-regulations

                                    If you look at Table 1, you find that for frequencies for 300 to 1500 MHz, the exposure can be f/300 (where f is the frequency in MHz) for controlled exposure or f/1500 for uncontrolled exposure. Controlled and uncontrolled exposure could use some elaboration. Basically controlled means a person would be aware of it and could minimize the time (to under six minutes) while uncontrolled means the person might be unaware they were being exposed (and the assumption is that the duration of exposure would be under 30 minutes.

                                    In the context of ham radio, that makes sense. If I'm adjusting an antenna to aim it at some distant site, I may stand near the antenna and manually adjust the mast. In doing that I could be a few feet from the antenna. Say it's on the roof of my house. Once it's adjusted I climb down my ladder and I'm further away. But say it points right towards some spot in my neighbor's house. They could "walk through" the radio frequency path and not even know it. So while the time adjusting would be "controlled" exposure, a neighbor might experience "uncontrolled" exposure. In reality, even the most long-winded ham probably isn't going to hold the key down and talk for ten minutes straight. Ham radio operators (and other operators of radio frequency systems) are responsible for knowing the limits and ensuring they don't cause exposure that exceeds them. And, generally, other than examples like adjusting the antenna the power levels used at these frequencies tends to be low enough that uncontrolled exposure isn't a problem. (And I just use the ham radio example because I'm familiar with it.)

                                    Back to the study... The study was done at around 900 MHz (I'm going to round to keep it simple), so the maximum permissible exposure for a person at that frequency would be 3 milliwatts / cm^2 for "controlled" exposure and 0.6 milliwatts / cm ^2 for "uncontrolled" exposure. Radio power drops off pretty dramatically with distances, so the exposure they are talking about is pretty near the maximum allowed. (Again, the details get messy, but trust me that most radio frequency engineers aren't going to view 0.3 vs. 0.6 as a big difference. In RF terms that is 3 dB (decibel) difference in power.) I wouldn't term it "low-intensity" like they do, but it is below the allowable intensity which is probably what matters.

                                    So I claim that 3 dB (half power) isn't a significant loss. Is that reasonable? There is a thing called "free space loss" you deal with in RF. Basically if I send a single from Point A to Point B and there is nothing but air between them I see some (significant) loss. This is a logarithmic relationship--in other words going twice as far doesn't mean twice as much loss, it mean a lot more. From a non-directional antenna the radio waves are spreading out in a circle, so just from that you see a loss that is related to the square of the distance (because the surface area of the wavefront sphere is increasing by the square of the distance).

                                    Just looking at some quick calculation I think you'd lose about 60 dB over a 1 km path at 900 MHz. Remember, each 3 dB means the power has been cut in half. 10 dB actually cuts the power by one-tenth (move the decimal place to the left once in other words). So, again,  0.3 mw/cm^2 is lower than the maximum allowed uncontrolled exposure, but it is much, much higher than you'd ever likely encounter walking around in the real world. (I am talking things like tower mounted base stations now. Holding walkie talkies or cell phones to your head is another topic for another time.)

                                    I could look at the 20 millisecond pulse and understand it -or- I could look at the 4 Hz modulation and understand it. Together I'm not exactly sure what they mean. If the pulse wasn't mentioned, the 4 Hz square wave modulation would basically turn the microwave signal on and off four times each second. From having messed around with RF, I would venture a guess that the pulse means that what they are actually doing is triggering the 20 millisecond pulse four times each second. (That is a guess based on my experience with RF equipment you'd typically find in a laboratory.)

                                    I do have a bit of a problem with that. The math is deeper than I could sketch out on a sheet of paper, but if you look at the Fourier transform of that kind of signal you are going to have frequency components related to 4 Hz (and it's harmonics--with a square wave primarily the odd harmonics like 12 (4*3) Hz, 15 (4*5) Hz, 28 (4*7) Hz, etc., related to 50 Hz (which is related to the period of the 20 millisecond pulse) and it's harmonics (both odd and even for a pulse), and then the 915 MHz carrier signal.

                                    Honestly, if I were building an experiment I would rather have fewer variable so I could be more certain about what was causing any effect I might measure. But being realistic, they probably made do with the types of lab equipment they had available to generate the signal.

                                    I'm not a biologist at all, but the summary of the conclusion is interesting:

                                    "The exposure to extremely low frequency microwaves alone significantly enhanced the fast electroencephalographic rhythms (18-30 Hz). This effect was observed neither in subsequent sham-exposure experiment nor in radiation-naïve animals. In the microwave-exposed rats, scopolamine (0.1 mg kg(-1), subcutaneously) did not cause a slowing in the electroencephalogram that was shown in non-exposed rats. A similarity between the scopolamine-induced electroencephalogram effect in the microwave-exposed rats and that of physostigmine (enhancing the acetylcholine level in the brain) in radiation-naïve animals was noted. This paradoxical phenomenon stimulates new experimentation for understanding its mechanism(s)."

                                    This is saying that if you take two rats and expose one to microwave pulses, they see an enhancement (does that mean increase in strength?) in the fast (higher frequency, those in the 18 to 30 cycle per second range) EEG in the exposed rat.

                                    Someone else will have to give the scoop on scopolamine. (I looked it up on Wikipedia, so that's as much as I know...) Apparently when used on rats that had not been exposed to microwave pulses, it slowed their EEGs but it did not have that effect in rats that had been exposed to microwave pulses.

                                    The third part seems to say that this same lack of response to scopolamine was seen both in the rats exposed to microwave pulses and to rats that weren't exposed to microwave pulses but were given physostigmine. I looked that one up also but still don't have a clue why that particular result was called a "paradoxical phenomenon". This is totally a guess, but it seems like they found the fact that microwave pulses and physostigmine injections gave similar results interesting and something they thought could use further research.

                                    A couple of observations...

                                    They call them low frequency microwaves, but I think they really mean pulsed microwave where the pulsing is done at a reasonably low frequency. (This would fall within the definition of LF Microwave as the term seems to be used by this group and like I offered a potential definition in my earlier note.)

                                    Also, the EEG results offer a specific physiological response that can be measured. I doubt anyone has an EEG machine laying around, but if The Hum is caused by pulsed microwaves of some sort then you would expect to see increased EEG activity at the same time. (I always hesitate to assign causality. It can be a chicken and egg thing. Does increased EEG activity cause the symptoms some people observe as The Hum? Does agitation from The Hum cause some people to experience distress that leads to increased EEG activity? Saying it is one way or the other would just be a guess. That is assuming that you even found that there was a correlation between The Hum, pulsed microwaves, and increased EEG activities in at least some of the people who suffer from The Hum.)

                                    A final observation is that even scientist can get a bit loose and free in their definitions. (Like talking about low frequency microwave signals.)

                                    Looking back, I apologize if this seems like a lecture. My personal feeling is that there are several causes for The Hum and that they are likely to be discovered one by one over time. I ramble when I type, but I also hope that something somewhere might trigger an "ah-ha" for someone else. I also would rather be explicit in my thinking so that people can correct me if I've gone astray someplace or knowledgeably agree with points if they understand them. I would definitely be interested in other people's thoughts on the subject and on the study that was referenced.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Jim
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 21, 2013
                                      What if the term doesnt matter. The fact is something low frequency screwed this guys thoughts up. Just like the hum in Lanza's neighborhood. Except DC guy gave doctors the evidence.

                                    • patty94@ymail.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 22, 2013
                                        They do know but are unable to say. The Committe on Man and Radiation (COMAR) has the last word as to the information that is allowed onto the news.
                                        From what I gleaned in the papers on microwave auditory effect, it activates the fight or flight region of the brain. Releases hormones and chemicals that normally wouldn't be released. Especially in some people.
                                        The new technology is using a band of the light spectrum that was intended for the living. Not to be sold off for profit.

                                        I wish I could talk to his mother, to comfort her. To let her know what could have been going on with him.

                                        What a shameful thing has been done.

                                        Patty