Re: HUM_FORUM: It seems to me a more simple cause

  • romerojoseph281@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2013
      Only in late fall going into winter in the desert of West Texas near Big bend National park

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cottrell, Danyele Marie" <dcottrel@...> wrote:

      > That is also a popular theory of causes - but still, it begs the question: how do we (southern Indiana) have no hum in the summer and full blast hum in the winter/spring. This leads credence to the pipeline theory for us anyway.
      >
      > Also, just recently a friend of mine who works on telephone poles heard me complaining about the hum and all that goes along with it and offered this tidbit of information. Telephone poles (and other items such as stop signs, street lights, etc) put out a VLF sound from swaying in the wind if they hit just the right 'motion'. He said it is much more pronounced in the winter/colder temps because the materials harden a bit in the cold weather. He was more technical than that, but that's it in a nutshell. Who hasn't seen a stop sign flailing wildly if the breeze hits it just right?
      >
      > Peace and quiet to all -
      > Danyele

    • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
        We need a real-time hum map like the real-time earthquake map.  If only it were fully automated... Which will never happen but one can dream.  ;-)

        Sent from my iPhone so please pardon typos and auto-corrects

        On Sep 7, 2013, at 8:35 AM, "romerojoseph281@..." <romerojoseph281@...> wrote:

        Only in late fall going into winter in the desert of West Texas near Big bend National park

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cottrell, Danyele Marie" <dcottrel@...> wrote:

        > That is also a popular theory of causes - but still, it begs the question: how do we (southern Indiana) have no hum in the summer and full blast hum in the winter/spring. This leads credence to the pipeline theory for us anyway.
        >
        > Also, just recently a friend of mine who works on telephone poles heard me complaining about the hum and all that goes along with it and offered this tidbit of information. Telephone poles (and other items such as stop signs, street lights, etc) put out a VLF sound from swaying in the wind if they hit just the right 'motion'. He said it is much more pronounced in the winter/colder temps because the materials harden a bit in the cold weather. He was more technical than that, but that's it in a nutshell. Who hasn't seen a stop sign flailing wildly if the breeze hits it just right?
        >
        > Peace and quiet to all -
        > Danyele

      • dee benedetto
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
          North Jersey Hum is louder than ever!!

          CC: humforum@yahoogroups.com
          From: dcottrel@...
          To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 12:48:01 +0000
          Subject: Re: HUM_FORUM: It seems to me a more simple cause

          We need a real-time hum map like the real-time earthquake map.  If only it were fully automated... Which will never happen but one can dream.  ;-)

          Sent from my iPhone so please pardon typos and auto-corrects

          On Sep 7, 2013, at 8:35 AM, "romerojoseph281@..." <romerojoseph281@...> wrote:

          Only in late fall going into winter in the desert of West Texas near Big bend National park

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cottrell, Danyele Marie" <dcottrel@...> wrote:

          > That is also a popular theory of causes - but still, it begs the question: how do we (southern Indiana) have no hum in the summer and full blast hum in the winter/spring. This leads credence to the pipeline theory for us anyway.
          >
          > Also, just recently a friend of mine who works on telephone poles heard me complaining about the hum and all that goes along with it and offered this tidbit of information. Telephone poles (and other items such as stop signs, street lights, etc) put out a VLF sound from swaying in the wind if they hit just the right 'motion'. He said it is much more pronounced in the winter/colder temps because the materials harden a bit in the cold weather. He was more technical than that, but that's it in a nutshell. Who hasn't seen a stop sign flailing wildly if the breeze hits it just right?
          >
          > Peace and quiet to all -
          > Danyele

        • JD
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
            --- At 05:48 AM 07 09 2013, Cottrell, Danyele Marie wrote:

            >We need a real-time hum map like the real-time earthquake map. If only it were fully automated... Which will never happen but one can dream. ;-)

            Get enough people to use smartphones with integrated ULF- vibration detection -- or phones that monitor "external" ULF-vibration detectors -- and you'll have a good start.. Then a website is needed to collect and display the amalgamated information in real-time. (Google might be persuaded to do that for you.)

            For a currently-available "detector" possibility, see:

            https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.innoventions.sensorkinetics&hl=en

            This app (for Android 2.1+) costs $0.99, and "reports all installed sensors".

            More details here: - http://www.rotoview.com/sensor_kinetics.htm

            --- an excerpt:

            " What Are People Doing With Sensor Kinetics?

            Some novel ideas from Sensor Kinetics users:

            .. This could be useful to measure tremors in Parkinson´┐Żs sufferers.

            .. I have a large pump that acts up and I have used it (Sensor Kinetics) to see the vibrations in graph form.

            .. This will be useful in my research into vertigo and balance problems.

            .. I wonder if I could use this to measure the impact on my legs and feet as I jog?

            "

            And no doubt, many more such technologies are "on the way".

            Would be great if there were low-cost "infrasound" detectors to combine with all this, because many people are being bombarded with infrasound they never suspect -- and then their symptoms are treated with toxic drugs -- while the infrasound in their environment is never detected or corrected, leaving the actual problem to affect more victims...

            JD

            ..
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
              Same in Western CT

              From: dcottrel@...
              To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 12:48:01 +0000

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2013
                I hope everone is complaining to your legislators, mayors, anyone. Get it in the news!

                From: dcottrel@...
                To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 12:48:01 +0000

                We need a real-time hum map like the real-time earthquake map.  If only it were fully automated... Which will never happen but one can dream.  ;-)

                Sent from my iPhone so please pardon typos and auto-corrects

                On Sep 7, 2013, at 8:35 AM, "romerojoseph281@..." <romerojoseph281@...> wrote:

                Only in late fall going into winter in the desert of West Texas near Big bend National park

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cottrell, Danyele Marie" <dcottrel@...> wrote:

                > That is also a popular theory of causes - but still, it begs the question: how do we (southern Indiana) have no hum in the summer and full blast hum in the winter/spring. This leads credence to the pipeline theory for us anyway.
                >
                > Also, just recently a friend of mine who works on telephone poles heard me complaining about the hum and all that goes along with it and offered this tidbit of information. Telephone poles (and other items such as stop signs, street lights, etc) put out a VLF sound from swaying in the wind if they hit just the right 'motion'. He said it is much more pronounced in the winter/colder temps because the materials harden a bit in the cold weather. He was more technical than that, but that's it in a nutshell. Who hasn't seen a stop sign flailing wildly if the breeze hits it just right?
                >
                > Peace and quiet to all -
                > Danyele

              • iprefertruth
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013

                  In a message dated 08/09/2013 09:10:33 GMT Daylight Time, dcottrel@... writes:
                  We need a real-time hum map like the real-time earthquake map.  If only it were fully automated... Which will never happen but one can dream.  ;-)
                  Nice thought, but I doubt if it would help : I would expect it to show
                  apparent clusters in more densely populated areas.
                  But if it gave the exact times of starting/stopping/amplitude, it might help identify some culprits....
                  Over some 26 years, I haven't read or heard anything anywhere to suggest  anything other than 'it'
                  (a misnomer in my humble opinion,I'm convinced  it isn't just 'one'...) being a result
                   of so much industrial and commercial activity, all over the world.
                  Most likely some places are louder than others, maybe the lie of the land plays a part :
                  the whole puzzle is very complicated.
                  Plus, for one reason or another, some people become sensitised to
                  low frequencies.
                  Plus, even when culprits ARE identified, they 'hide' behind the lax noise laws,
                   and it is deemed
                  to be 'not a statutory nuisance', in spite of ruining the
                  well-being, and potentially, general long-term health  of those
                   poor people affected by it.
                  R.M.
                  LFNSH, England