New Zealand

  • bluefalcon8881
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
      I live in suburb of Auckland named Howick

      I have been hearing the hum in New Zealand since 1998 (Lived in South Africa before then)

      It used to wake me up between 2 to 4 am daily and still does to date

      At first I thought it was heavy earth-moving equipment and told my wife the Kiwis were crazy to work at that hour

      Now after travelling to different cities in the North Island over the past year I have concluded that I cant escape the hum
      It is 24/7 and very intense

      I had a MRI scan done 3 months ago and all is OK

      I am 59 years old and have tinnitus for more than 10 years which does not bother me at all

      I am off on a trip to the Cook Islands in the Pacific on the 9th of August for a Kite boarding holiday

      I shall be staying on an Island named Aitutaki for 10 nights

      I am keen to see if I can escape the hum there......

      Blue

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 23, 2013
          I have returned from my trip to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands

          I started hearing the hum there after two days of my arrival....
          it was bliss the first two days

          The hum there were about 30 percent of what I hear in Howick Auckland and was livable and it did not interfere with my sleep

          There are no high voltage power lines nor gas lines
          Total population around 1500 people on the island

          They do have one cell phone service provider with Wifi in some of the small retail shops

          I could hear the hum outside as well as inside my motel room

          Back in Auckland for two days now and the hum is Thundering away since day one with the headaches and nausea.......

          Blue

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 23, 2013
            Apparently a different source than others.  I think they say on the big island in Hawaii there's a hum as well.  Probably none of the industrial type causes there, either.

            --- In mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com, "bluefalcon8881" <bluefalcon8881@...> wrote:

            > I live in suburb of Auckland named Howick
            >
            > I have been hearing the hum in New Zealand since 1998 (Lived in South Africa before then)
            >
            > It used to wake me up between 2 to 4 am daily and still does to date
            >

            > At first I thought it was heavy earth-moving equipment and told my wife the Kiwis were crazy to work at that hour
            >
            > Now after travelling to different cities in the North Island over the past year I have concluded that I cant escape the hum
            > It is 24/7 and very intense
            >
            > I had a MRI scan done 3 months ago and all is OK
            >
            > I am 59 years old and have tinnitus for more than 10 years which does not bother me at all
            >
            > I am off on a trip to the Cook Islands in the Pacific on the 9th of August for a Kite boarding holiday
            >
            > I shall be staying on an Island named Aitutaki for 10 nights
            >
            > I am keen to see if I can escape the hum there......
            >

            > Blue

          • geoffcarlaw
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2013

               Hi, I'm Geoff and I live in Howick Auckland.  I started hearing the HUM about 6 months ago with all the same initial responses ie.. check all power supplies and go outside to try and echo locate the source.  It came from everywhere and again it is more intense at night.  I am 39 years old.

              At the same time I began hearing the HUM at other locations, namely in Onemana near Whangamata in the Coromandel.  It is more intense there, I can hear it outside too.  Onemana has one vodofone cell phone tower there but I don't know if this is contributing to any VLF amplifying.  It is beginning to drive me insane.  I have to concentrate to try and relax myself to get some sleep.  I work shift work 12hrs 4 days on 4 days off so my sleep is screwed anyhow.  This is the icing on the cake.

              I have tried to research all I can and have concluded that it is most likely seismic/wave environmental activity that is magnifying a VLF that somehow I can hear.  I have read that it mostly affects people 50 years and over, I guess I can add 10 years to my lifetime experience of this curse.  I would very much someday like to know how one becomes "awakened" to VFL detection.  It seems a curse the world over.

              Blue and Steve.. I feel your pain and wish you guys all the best.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2013

                  Hi Steve.

                  Map for north Island gas pipeline can be found here

                  http://vector.co.nz/sites/vector.co.nz/files/GIS-G0000-203-01-C.pdf

                  There is a significant pipeline running through Auckland, where I am situated most of the time.  Where I hear the hum loudest and most constant is in Onemana about 100km north of the town Tauranga (which can be seen on the map).  It appears to have no close pipelines, the nearest would be approx 100km away from Onemana.  Interestingly, I spent some time recently in Christchurch middle of the South Island, where I heard no hum over the period of a week.  Christchurch has had significant seismic activity recently.  I don't believe gas is piped to the south Island.

                  Cheers Geoff

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013
                    Other than fault lines or rifts like that in New Mexico, that I believe can be shown to act as a conduit of seismic fault zone waves like I believe occurring in Taos, 100km is pretty far away to make any correlation, though still should be researched.  I have sensed and measured the hum here for up to 25 miles away from the pipeline sources here in CT USA.  Keep in mind some lines are worst than others, and until I get company and govt cooperation  (ha-ha) to support or refutitate,  I believe to be dependant on design and operational parameters

                    Is there hum on the south island closer tot he opposite end away from the north island??

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
                      Hi Geoff,

                      Give me a call or text 021 646 384

                      I live in Howick ,so maybe we can meet and discuss our dilemma..

                      blue