Re: An Association Between Solar Flares and Tinnitus

  • engineidler
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15 1:14 PM
      It would also be very interesting if Glen could test his Deming box to include a tinitus hearer.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 15 3:04 PM
        Mark,
         Though I do not hvae tinnitus, I can say for certain that the sun spot activity does not seem connected to my hum at all. I am continuing to watch and track it especially since we just had a trio of some of the worst flairs ever just the other day!
        Suzie

        Message 3 of 10 , May 15 3:10 PM
          I thought I would let you knnow that my husband came to me and said his tinnitus is much louder today than usual. I will have him track it and see if there is a correlation for his tinnitus and let you knoew what he reports.
          Suzie

          Message 4 of 10 , May 15 8:51 PM
            Here is a link to a solar weather site, the red line is the current time,it shows 3 days of history, click on the symbols and lines to see a detailed popup. If these things affect radio, microwave, grids etc they could easily affect humans.

            John

            http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "engineidler" <resuocs@...> wrote:

            > It would also be very interesting if Glen could test his Deming box to include a tinitus hearer.
            >

            > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Mark Jordan <zorbasci@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi to all,
            > >
            > > While I do not suffer from the Hum, I am a tinnitus sufferer. My tinnitus increases greatly whenever thunderstorms are within several hundred miles and even prior to thunderstorm activity. That is, the noise increases drastically even prior to the thunderstorms forming. However, I have noticed over the years that there are periods when high pressure systems are overhead when the noise does not decrease after the front with thunderstorms has passed. I think I have finally found the reason for this.
            > >
            > > Some months ago, John joined the group and started talking about sunspots. Various members posted regarding Hum levels during periods of weather and or sunspot activity so I began paying more attention to the sun. I have been following solar activity for years and was already signed up for email notification of solar storms and other activity on the Space Weather sites. I began looking for any correlation between sunspots or solar storms with weather and other things.
            > >
            > > It took some months but I have found an amazing correlation between my tinnitus and Solar Flare activity. My tinnitus greatly increases the moment that the flares erupt. This indicates some mechanism other than the solar wind because there is no delay between the solar flares and my increase in tinnitus levels. It amazes me and I am very surprised.
            > >
            > > I am wondering if the mechanism might be related to a similar mechanism that might cause Hum symptoms? Any suggestions? Those of you that also suffer tinnitus might compare your levels against solar flares.
            > >
            > > Mark S. Jordan
            > > zorbasci@

          • iprefertruth
            Message 5 of 10 , May 19 5:37 PM

              In a message dated 16/05/2013 12:46:34 GMT Daylight Time, resuocs@... writes:
              My tinnitus greatly increases the moment that the flares erupt. This indicates some mechanism other than the solar wind because there is no delay between the solar flares and my increase in tinnitus levels. It amazes me and I am very surprised.
              So am I....
              Surely the energy from the solar flares
                        (if that is what you believe makes your tinnitus worse?)
              takes some minutes to reach the earth....
              we are apparently protected by the earth's magnetic field...
              if that were not there, we would have problems....
              Could the worsening of your tinnitus be triggered by a psychological reaction, i.e.,
              an emotional response perhaps  making tension,
               and you maybe then also expect the tinnitus to get louder,
               so you listen for it, and hey-presto, you're more aware of it,
              and it seems to have got louder ?
              And then make a possible spurious link to the visual 'input' from the solar flares ?
              Just a thought....
              R.M.
              LFNSH, England.

            • Mark Jordan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 19 10:00 PM
                Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. There are many similarities between hum and tinnitus sufferers. I wish I could simply increase or decrease the noise at will but I can't just as a hum sufferer cannot dictate the amplitude of their sensation. The only way I can make a sound louder or lesser is by turning up the volume on the radio, reducing it with earplugs or moving closer or further away from the source.

                Have you considered that your suggestion of an emotional response might be a projection of your own traits? I am an extreme objective thinking type in accordance with the categories described by Dr. C. G. Jung. I have been evaluated by psychobabbleologists on several occasions in an attempt to explain my tinnitus. I know that some hum sufferers have had the same experiences.

                Tinnitus is clearly neurological and not acoustic. I suspect the hum might be also. This indicates that some force or external cause results in the subjective interpretation of a sound heard inside our heads.

                This is why I can sympathize with hum sufferers. They have no control over their hum just as I have no control over tinnitus. As a scientist, I keep records and pay attention to the possible forces that might cause both conditions. I do not believe anything. I deal with facts and data. What makes tinnitus louder might cause the hum to lessen. Like others, I continue to look for possible causes.

                There have been several strong flares over the past five days. Yesterday, my tinnitus increased drastically but my LAN network was down so it was some hours before I could determine if there was any flare activity or not. There were two flares reported for yesterday even if spaceweather.com did not send their usual email notification. Since the X flares started, my tinnitus is as loud as it has ever been in over 40 years.

                Regarding the sun, if everything the sun emits were captured by the magnetic field, we would not be able to even see the sun. There are many frequencies and we only see the light. Charged particles are captured by the field but others get through. Some can travel entirely though the earth. A recent hypothesis suggests that global warming might be caused by particles emitted by the sun that go right through the planet resulting in interior changes in the core. The magnetic field has been moving to the west for years but now it has reversed and is moving east. There are many things about the sun and our magnetic field that we know very little about.

                Science is the study of the unknown and undiscovered.

                Mark S. Jordan
                zorbasci@...

[...]

              • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
                Message 7 of 10 , May 20 2:28 PM

                  My husband and I have tested this several times and it definitely is not neurological in nature.    It could very well be physiological in nature (using the example of Lidia’s eardrums…of which the exact description has left my memory for the moment).  But there is still the trigger (waves) which seem to be newer.  My eardrums just didn’t move all on their own the same time my husbands did….

                  We both went to several locations and wrote down if we heard the hum or not then compared notes when we were finished.

                  There was only 1 instance where I heard it outdoors in a remote part of Hoosier National Forest where he did not, but all other ‘ Hear it’  and  ‘Don’t hear it’  matched up.   He heard it in the car there, but it was so loud that I also heard it outside the car.

                  I guess it is symantics and we could be saying the same thing. ; )