RE: Test Tone Generator/Carole

  • A & J M
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
      That could very well be it. As I said, I can't hear it if there's a
      background noise (like a computer fan!). I'll check your settings later
      when it's quieter. I intend to buy the full version so I can easily create
      .WAV files from it.

      Arne
      Central Minnesota

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
        RE:HAARP

        The HAARP 3.6 MW transmitted power, although large by household standards is a small amount by power plant standards.  We use about 10 MW just to run the cooling towers (fans and pumps) on a 600 MWe nuclear plant.  A 900 MWe coal plant uses 20 times that (60-80 MWe) just to run the house load (towers, pumps, crushers, baghouse, etc.).  Using the standard distance squared attenuation, the 3.6 MW becomes on the order of microwatts/cm2 at the ionosphere.  3.6 MW is roughly 30% more than the energy in a one second lightning strike.

        The field strength at site access is 1/10000 of that of a cell phone (http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/emchrt.html), which gives you an idea of how low it is at 80-180 km (ionosphere range).  I'm not an electronics engineer, but pulsing the ionosphere like this seems to be similar to throwing a pebble in a pond.  If you're in the right spot, and have the right equipment, you can catch the ripples.  This just doesn't seem like enough power to do much of anything.  If this was the source, wouldn't it follow the same pattern they're seeing? (http://137.229.36.30/cgi-bin/riometer/riom2_sel.cgi, for example).

        The sound I heard when walking by the substation transformers today was very close (a little lower in pitch) to what I hear in the evening when it's quiet (and 3 miles away).  Unfortunately, I also heard it in the boundary waters of US/Canada, so I'm ruling that out as the source.

        Arne
        Central Minnesota

      • Sue Schmitt
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
          Hello All: Has anyone reported hearing this hum in Maryland? I've
          been trying to figure out what in the heck this hum is in my ears and
          have been told by my doctor that it is tinnitus and that there is no
          cure for tinnitus but what in the heck causes it if it is? I have been
          hearing this hum for about 3 years now and it goes thru me sometimes
          like someone running their nails across a chalkboard. It gets so loud
          sometimes that I cannot sleep. I know I take pain killers for a back
          injury and I'm wondering if that is one side effect that is not
          reported. At least I know I'm not the only one out there that hears a
          hum. Some days it is not so bad and other days it drives me nuts. The
          more tired I get the worse it gets too I've noticed that. I have heard
          about this "mystery hum" and wondered maybe if that is not what I'm
          hearing and from what I've been reading other people around you won't
          hear this hum either. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on this
          problem and what they've done to try to combat it. Thanks!

          Sue Schmitt
        • Alan Stevens
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Schmitt" <blue_agate11@...> wrote:

            > Hello All: Has anyone reported hearing this hum in Maryland? I've
            > been trying to figure out what in the heck this hum is in my ears and
            > have been told by my doctor that it is tinnitus and that there is no
            > cure for tinnitus but what in the heck causes it if it is? I have been
            > hearing this hum for about 3 years now and it goes thru me sometimes
            > like someone running their nails across a chalkboard. It gets so loud
            > sometimes that I cannot sleep. I know I take pain killers for a back
            > injury and I'm wondering if that is one side effect that is not
            > reported. At least I know I'm not the only one out there that hears a
            > hum. Some days it is not so bad and other days it drives me nuts. The
            > more tired I get the worse it gets too I've noticed that. I have heard
            > about this "mystery hum" and wondered maybe if that is not what I'm
            > hearing and from what I've been reading other people around you won't
            > hear this hum either. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on this
            > problem and what they've done to try to combat it. Thanks!

            My parents live near Easton, MD, and there are various times that I
            have heard the Hum while I was visiting at their home.

            I live in central Virginia and there are various times that I have
            heard the Hum at my home.

            Alan
          • Susan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 27, 2007
              Hi Alan:  I'm in Germantown Maryland and I've been to Easton a couple of times.  I'm originally from Frederick.  My brother and his family and my Dad moved to Rock Hall Maryland on the Eastern Shore and it seems like I hear this darn hum any where I go.  It was particularly bad for me when we went to visit my husband's family in New Mexico.  He doesn't live too far from Taos and from what I've been reading that is really a big hot spot for the hum.  He's from a little town by the name of Cerrillos New Mexico.  That hum got to me so bad on that visit that I was actually ill and kept an extremely bad headache for the whole visit.  Needless to say even tho I love the New Mexico area, I don't want to make a return visit any time soon.  I did not hear the hum as badly when I visited my friend in England but it was still there.  I wish they really had an answer for us.

              Sue Schmitt

              > Hello All: Has anyone reported hearing this hum in Maryland? I've
              > been trying to figure out what in the heck this hum is in my ears and
              > have been told by my doctor that it is tinnitus and that there is no
              > cure for tinnitus but what in the heck causes it if it is? I have been
              > hearing this hum for about 3 years now and it goes thru me sometimes
              > like someone running their nails across a chalkboard. It gets so loud
              > sometimes that I cannot sleep. I know I take pain killers for a back
              > injury and I'm wondering if that is one side effect that is not
              > reported. At least I know I'm not the only one out there that hears a
              > hum. Some days it is not so bad and other days it drives me nuts. The
              > more tired I get the worse it gets too I've noticed that. I have heard
              > about this "mystery hum" and wondered maybe if that is not what I'm
              > hearing and from what I've been reading other people around you won't
              > hear this hum either. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on this
              > problem and what they've done to try to combat it. Thanks!

              My parents live near Easton, MD, and there are various times that I
              have heard the Hum while I was visiting at their home.

              I live in central Virginia and there are various times that I have
              heard the Hum at my home.

              Alan

            • peterbrombeer
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23
                Hello,
                My name is Peter, and I have been reading the humforum messages for some years. I am 63, I live in the Netherlands. In 1987 I began hearing the hum. By 1990 it had reached it's solid level of annoyance, and it has been that way ever since.
                A lot of information has been written by all forum members during the years I received updates. Now I think I would like to partake in the exchange of opinions and ideas which could help bring about relief from suffering of the hum, or help finding new ways of looking at it. I guess that every question can be posed in new ways when a new context presents itself.
                Right at this moment the topic declassified nonlethal weapon studies is inviting to add some thoughts, since it seems to ask further arguments to help get different approaches to solving a problem explained.

                Since this is my first message, I understand it needs to be checked. Well, I sure hope to be allowed to enter the discussion. I do have some things on my mind. One of them is a word actually, one word I have been looking for to totally explain this life with the hum. I would like to present the word on the hum forum as a new topic, together with some explanation of the why.

                All the best,
                Peter

              • Cottrell, Danyele Marie
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 23

                  Welcome to joining the conversation.

                  I’m sure we would love to hear what you have to say on the subject. Thank you for writing in.

                  -Danyele

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 24
                    Thanks for the kind words. Now I hope my writing will fit in.
                    all the best
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 24
                      Welcome Peter
                      Are you aware of the LF group in the Netherlands
                      Steve in Connecticut USA

                      Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's and auto corrects

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 24
                        Steve, thanks for the welcome. I have had some messages exchanged with the LF group in the Netherlands. The people maintain their website with information, and they do have some contacts and offer a platform for meetings. Last year a documentary has been made of the region in the northernmost part of the Netherlands, where the hum problem is huge because of large scale gaz exploitation. The people owning the LF website live there. By the way, this documentary (Dutch language only) is uploaded to youtube. The link is http: //youtu.be /A4lMdXMYvyw (without spaces)
                        (The doc opens with a four line verse I spoke as the makers also interviewed me. No part of this interview was used any further in the doc)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 24
                          I will watch. I do stay in touch on occasion with a couple of people there.
                          The problem is real and worsening
                          Steve