Re: HUM_FORUM: Facts about HAARP, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  • Bill Curry
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004
      Humlobotomist,
      I agree that the quoted encyclopaedia article is very good. I do not
      agree, however, that this article gives any rationale to support your
      theories about the Hum. Clearly, this artiicle tries to strike a balance
      between what is known about HAARP and what is speculated by conspiracy
      theorists.
      Let me try to clarify what I think is a misconception of many people.
      The phrase "lift the ionosphere" does not refer to moving a portion of the
      ionosphere - it refers to temporarily increasing the electron density in
      portions of the ionosphere. This causes a transient change in the reflective
      properties of the ionosphere. The change quickly vanishes when the power is
      turned off. While this means that communication can be disrupted (in the
      case of one's adversaries) or enhanced (in the case of one's own forces and
      allies) as long as the heating pulse is on, the effect quickly vanishes,
      when the pulse is switched off.
      In your previous correspondence, you seem to have put confidence in
      Carnicom's statement that the conductivity of the atmosphere is being
      greatly increased. (I don't recall whether this was blamed on HAARP or
      not.) I think the Carnicom statement is ridiculous and suggest that you
      should seriously question his scientific credibility! The clearest test of
      whether the conductivity of the atmosphere is as large as he says is the
      fact that the myriad of radio waves, TV communications, etc. are able to
      propagate at all. Had the atmosphere been made conductive, not only would
      life be threatened, but we would find that the atmosphere itself was
      absorbing electromagnetic waves used in communication. This is because the
      absorption coefficient of any medium is proportional to the square root of
      (the sum of the square of the conductivity of the medium and the square
      of the product of the frequency with the dielectric constant of the medium).
      Check any text on electromagnetic theory. If the conductivity were
      higher than the normal low atmospheric value, the absorption coefficient
      would be too high for electromagnetic waves to propagate.
      You still lack a transduction mechanism to convert ELF electromagnetic
      waves in the ionosphere to either physical sound or perceived sound within
      the hearer's head. Anecdotal evidence that people near the magnetic poles
      can hear the Aurora is not sufficient, without understanding the mechanism,
      for you to try to explain the Hum at distant lattitudes from the magnetic
      poles, as ionospheric disturbances are much too far away at those latitudes
      to be sensed by earth bound observers. Recall that both sound and
      electromagnetic waves fall off rapidly with distance. (A caveat is that low
      frequency EM waves diminish less rapidly with distance than HF, VHF, or
      UHF EM waves but they do eventually die out.) There may, indeed, be a
      transduction mechanism to convert ELF pulses to real or perceived sound,
      but I am not aware of any cogent explanation thereof. Please correct me if
      I am wrong. I would like to read any findings from credible science on this
      issue - but not speculations.
      In the near future I will answer your querry about Eastland's patents.
      I have recently returned from my son's wedding in California.
      Unfortunately, the flight aggravated a leg infection (cellulitis) that I
      sometimes have, and I have to keep my left leg up part of the day to reduce
      the swelling. That makes it hard to write Email.
      Regards to all, Bill
      |Bill P. Curry, Ph.D. Physics is fun|
      |(630) 858-9377 Fax (630) 858-9159|
      | EMSciTek Consulting Company |
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004
        HAARP
        Without going into the technical complications, there
        are two simple criticisms of the HAARP hypothesis
        that can be made.

        1.  Reliable reports of the Hum date from at least
        the early 1970s in the UK, and probably to the mid
        1960s.  HAARP in Alaska did not reach anything
        like present day power levels until the mid 1990s
        or later.

        2.  Some of the literature I uncovered from the Naval
        Research Laboratory claimed that HAARP was capable
        of functioning as a radio transmitter over enormous
        distances and an extremely wide frequency range.
        Fair enough.  But if the HAARP transmitter is in Alaska,
        how come people in locations like Kokomo, Indiana,
        and Taos, New Mexico, hear the Hum, while many
        towns between them and Alaska do not?

        --David Deming
        Norman, Oklahoma
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004
          In a message dated 06/11/2004 22:39:32 GMT Standard Time, bpcurry@... writes:
[...]
          Bill Curry, you remain my hero!
          R.M.   England.
        • humlobotomist
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004
            I must admit I feel it frustrating keep pointing back to facts. But
            here I go again.
            David Deming wrote:

            Without going into the technical complications, there
            are two simple criticisms of the HAARP hypothesis
            that can be made.

            1. Reliable reports of the Hum date from at least
            the early 1970s in the UK, and probably to the mid
            1960s. HAARP in Alaska did not reach anything
            like present day power levels until the mid 1990s
            or later.

            2. Some of the literature I uncovered from the Naval
            Research Laboratory claimed that HAARP was capable
            of functioning as a radio transmitter over enormous
            distances and an extremely wide frequency range.
            Fair enough. But if the HAARP transmitter is in Alaska,
            how come people in locations like Kokomo, Indiana,
            and Taos, New Mexico, hear the Hum, while many
            towns between them and Alaska do not?

            --David Deming
            Norman, Oklahoma
            First point to commented by this groups moderator, is answered by my
            message 1423, this message and it's link document that the first
            ionospheric heaters where operating back in 1963.

            The second point I simply see as irrelevent, I would have expected a
            more serious comments from people whom should have the knowledge.

            Why do I hear the Hum, but my neighbour does not hear it? I would say
            my question is at the same level as Mr. Demings second assertion. I
            do honestly believe there are great numbers of sufferers in Alaska
            that have problems, and dont we have Hum sufferers from California at
            this forum?

            Though I am based in Europe, I know California is between Alaska and
            New Mexico geographical. Please stickto facts, and do not try to
            disprove something with baseless assertions.

            Please read from my meassage 1423, that proves that ionospheric
            heaters, the first, operated back in 1963, please do not forget this
            fact, it is now the eigth time, this is proven wrong, when trying to
            imply that HAARP or ionospheric heaters could not be the reason for
            the Hum, since HAARP operated first in 1996. No, HAARP is one of
            minimum 6 ionospheric heaters, but I honestly mean the Hum increased
            after 1996, were HAARP could explain the increase, but EISCAT were
            operated since 1975, the first in Platteville Colerado 1963, read the
            facts, this do not prove the IH heaters are the reason, but it
            disprove baseless assertions;

            Message 1423

            There have been discussion whether ionospheric heaters as HAARP,
            could not be the source of the Hum, since HAARP was not in service
            before 1996.

            With this mail, I simply wish to document that ionospheric heating
            officially first time where conducted in 1963. Information has been
            found at following internet addresses;

            http://grison.colorado.edu/Radar_Stations/Platteville/History/

            http://grison.colorado.edu/Radar_Stations/Platteville/History/history_
            part_1.html

            http://grison.colorado.edu/Radar_Stations/Platteville/History/history_
            part_2.html

            The Platteville Atmospheric Observatory began in 1962 when a high-
            power high-frequency transmitting facility was originally proposed by
            what is now the Institute of Telecommunication Sciences. The
            Department of Commerce requested $600,000 dollars for the 1963
            financial year to construct the facility, the money was allocated by
            the Congress in 1964. After these funds became available in 1966, the
            current site was purchased and the construction of the facility began.

            The site was selected to meet a large number of requirements. The
            site had to be within easy range of the Department of Commerce labs
            in Boulder, this was determined to be a range of 40 miles of an hour
            from Boulder. Because the experiments that were proposed for the
            facility were going to have extremely high power the facility needed
            to be located away from populous areas but would need to be close to
            adequate power lines and roadways for easy access. This land needed
            to have little promise for farming and real estate development.
            Because the site was envisioned as location where a wide variety of
            experiments would take place another major requirement was that the
            site would have an obstruction free horizon in as much of a 360
            degree sector as possible. The final requirement was that the air
            needed to be clear of air lanes and it needed to be far enough from
            major airways to minimize the possibility of interference with air
            navigation equipment.

            The first attempt to intentionally modify the ionosphere occured in
            1963 by Potemra using a 40 kW transmitter at 7.7 MHz with a beam
            width of 12degrees. Unfortunately, his system did not have adequate
            sensitivity to detect any changes.

            Shortly afterwards, two sites were used that had the capablility to
            detect changes: Arecibo, Puerto Rico and Platteville, Colorado.

            An interesting story about the history of the Platteville Atmospheric
            Observatory comes from the Cold War. This story was told by
            Sharkarov, a Professor at the University of Maryland and son-in-law
            of President Eisenhower at a Ionosperic Modification Meeting in
            1994?.

            A Soviet scientist, Peter L. Kapitza(1894-1984), had ties to the West
            in the 1930's because he worked for Rutherford's Cavendish Laboratory
            in England. Since he opposed the nuclear arms race, he had political
            problems when Stalin was premier. After Stalin's death in 1953, his
            fortunes reimproved. He was then able to tell Kruschev about his idea
            to use an ionospheric heater as a form of missle defense. Kruschev
            provided him with funding to build a site to test this idea. When the
            American espionage community heard about the site that was being
            built, they were worried. They decided to build their own site to
            test Kapitza's ideas, this site became Platteville. After Platteville
            was completed and tested, the Americans decided that heating posed no
            risk as a form of missle defense.

            (Comments by author of this forums message; statement in this last
            sentence contradicts Bernard Eastlund's claims in his US patent
            5,038,664. Whom telling the truth, Eastlund or the author of the
            quoted website? I can not be the judge of, but it is clear that two
            of the parties are giving misleading information. Regarding available
            documentation, it seems to me that Eastlund has the correct version.)

            Special thanks goes to R.F. Wuerker of UCLA/HIPAS for relaying this
            story.