VAD

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
      I am unaware of anyone in the membership that believes that they have VAD. Only Lidia has brought this subject up to my recollection. I have not been subjected to high volume sounds for long periods of time, and I do not have any of these symptoms. Does anyone in the group feel that they have VAD?

      Definition:
      Vibroacoustic Disease, or VAD, is a chronic, progressive, cumulative, systemic disease. Exposure to high-intensity/low-frequency sound and infrasound can lead to Vibroacoustic Disease. Studies have shown that environments with high-intensity sound over 110 dB, coupled with low-frequency sounds below 100 Hz, place people at high risk for developing Vibroacoustic Disease. For example, Vibroacoustic Disease has been identified in disk jockeys, due to loud music exposure.
      When exposed to high-intensity/low-frequency sound, which includes loud music, the body is subjected to powerful sound vibrations. This noise stressor leads to: homeostatic imbalance, disease, interference with behavior and performance, visual problems, epilepsy, stroke, neurological deficiencies, psychic disturbances, thromboembolism, central nervous system lesions, vascular lesions in most areas of the body, lung local fibrosis, mitral valve abnormalities, pericardial abnormalities, malignancy, gastrointestinal dysfunction, infections of the oropharynx, increased frequency of sister chromatid exchanges, immunological changes, cardiac infarcts, cancer, rage reactions, suicide, and altered coagulation parameters. Infrasound exposure INCREASES the rate of development of Vibroacoustic Disease (VAD). "The evolution of VAD is classified by three stages based on years of noise exposure - mild (1-3 yr), moderate (4-9 yr) and severe (10-15 yr

      "VAD is essentially characterized by a proliferation of extra-cellular matrix. This means that blood vessels can become thicker, thus impeding the normal blood flow. Within the cardiac structures, the parietal pericardium and the mitral and aortic valves also become thickened. The most recent VAD studies have been suggesting that infrasound exposure may be crucial to the rate of evolution of VAD. Occupational exposure to infrasound is suspected to cause an increase in the rate of thickening of the pericardium and cardiac valves in commercial airline pilots over that of flight attendants (Alves-Pereira et al, 1999)."In addition, sources of low-frequency noise that place people at risk for developing Vibroacoustic Disease are rock concerts, dance clubs, "Powerful car audio equipment," water jet skies, and motorcycles. (Source: VIBROACOUSTIC DISEASE: THE NEED FOR A NEW ATTITUDE TOWARDS NOISE, by Mariana Alves-Pereira and Nuno Castelo Branco).)."
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
        Soozie,
        I guess I should have clarified that we believe the LF noise - (vibration) has indeed caused vibroacoustic disease in my husband.
        He first began experiencing the hum - vibration in Oct of 2010. Since this time he has seen numerous Drs. Ear, nose, throat Drs, Psychiatrists, and General Practitioners. An Occupational Health Dr. was the only Dr. who seemed curious and receptive to the complaint and documentation, finally giving that diagnosis - however there is no treatment. One Dr. even suggested we move from the area!
        I am not a sufferer, but I know he suffers everyday and someone, somewhere should be able to help.
        Even if we were able to go against the entities creating the hum. we would first need to convince a lawyer and then a judge of the facts.
        It is all so sad.
        Renee

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
          Here's a blurb but I am not sure how it translates to LF
          The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM)has stated that there have been no proven biological effects associated with an unfocused sound beam with intensities below 100 mW/cm² SPTA or focused sound beams below an intensity level of 1mW/cm² SPTA
          Ultrasound Physics 2nd edition"; Terry Reynolds, BS RDCS; School of Cardiac Ultrasound, Arizona Heart Foundation, Phoenix, AZ; 2005.

          I don't mean to be ignorat but I have to ask, What is VAD?

          Hi Suzi. & Lila , Staeve c-o-p-s and other Vetrans, I KNOW you're not feeling better - so I won't ask. The HUM continues for my husband Darrell. As a non- sufferer I HAVE to stay in contact with all of you....we have to work together. Ther is obviously no other way. Diaries of Who , and addresses of your contacts should be displayed so that ALL can pose a United Front. The Constitution says "For the People , By the People..." I know, there are only a few that have this hearing threshold....but the source MUST BE STOPPED !! Many think the source is diffrent....bottom line is VAD is experienced by some of the most intellegent people in the world and again....the Vibrating must stop!
        • Timothy Carpenter
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013

            From the behavior I’ve seen so far, She’s got to wait till she has notice that the upload from your end has been completed. There’s a popup in the dropbox menu that is greyed out right not. It says “All files up to date”. Clearly, then we should expect that the message will be Bold instead of grey when all the files are available.

            -Tim-