power plant

  • dee
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
      I live in north Jersey and live in a rural area . I live at a high elevation the same elevation as the power plant this plant is a fossil fuel plant with water turbine generators that pump from a lower water reservoir to a upper water reservoir with these generators. I believe this humming vibrating sound is resonating the sound thru my whole house 24/7'. How do I fight PSE&G? They own this hydroelectric plant.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
        Hi Dee,
         Sorry you're suffering the hum too! In order for you to pursue any legal actions with PSE&G or any other large industry you must first prove that that is the true source of your hum. This would have to be proven scientifically in order for it to stand up in court. In order for you to prove it scientifically you, or a group of sufferers in your area, would have to hire bonafide scientists to conduct experiment that would prove out the source of your hum. This costs a lot of money and is very hard to do through the legal system. You would also have to have a group of people who suffer in the same way from the same cause to join together in a class action suit. Many members within this forum have been trying to test and pin point their source and some have made some progress in collecting data. That data will then have to be confirmed through bonafide expert scientists for it to be accepted as fact and for these companies to be forced to change.
         Within this hum forum there are many differing opinions as to the source of the hum and over time we, the members of this forum, have come to the conclusion that there are different hum sources in widely different places around the world. Other than industrial or technological sources some in the forum believe the source is from the Earth itself or the effects of space/planetary changes.
         In the past there were scientific investigations into the hums source in Taos, New Mexico, and Kokomo, Indiana as well as places in the U.K., regardless of the tests run, no true provable source was found. This does not mean that it is not a real phenomina but that our ability to record it and find it's true source has eluded us thus far.
         The immediate solution is to find coping methods that work for you. Ways to mute the hum and ways that allow better sleep, as well as ways to better deal with it emotionally are the best tools to work with to help yourself starting today!
         I hope this answers your question.
        Best wishes in dealing with your hum,
        Suzie

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
          Dee contact me at c_o_p_s_ne@... if you want my perspective pn your problem there.  I can help guide you on determing the epicenter like Myself and another person have done in CT for the hum here, which is caused by changes to the gas transmission systems a few years ago.  Also, I can give you a few pointers who to take this to.
          Are you in the wanaque area? Rencently I was over in Minisink NY baselining low freq sound there before a new compressor station goes on
          Line there soon
          Steve

[...]

        • denise benedetto

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013

                Power plant noise.
                Just the type of installation I think can make LFN, the type that can travel and envelope a house.
                If only there were a law to say that noise from a plant must be muffled to stop it travelling out, to annoy residents. From many reports from sufferers, it seems that these operations carry on making a noise, until someone is able to challenge them.
                In U.K., I understand there is a noise law that says that a plant, etc.,
                 can make a  noise , a certain number of decibels over 'background'.(35dB?)
                The problem with that is that their noise pushes up the 'background', and then you can get a leap-frogging effect.   It should be a limit of ''so many'' decibels over SILENCE, shouldn''t it....
                So sorry you're getting a nuisance hum like that. I remember what it's like, a nightmare of stress and  chronic sleep loss : very bad for health, long term. No-one should have to endure that.
                But big business can usually protect itself.....profits first, people second......
                Best Wishes,
                R.S.J.Mann,
                LFNSH.,
                England.