Re: News

  • engineidler
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
      Glen, I would like to see height if posssible, lets see if the HUM is affected by height above sea level.
      John

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Glen MacPherson <glen.macpherson@...> wrote:

      > Douglas, Steve. and Tim.
      >
      > Thank you, and duly noted; he mentions that he is a database programmer,
      > and therefore I think that such features should be entirely possible. I
      > think that being able to simply click on a side button and immediately
      > see the features we are interested in would be an outstanding addition.
      > The map and database were always meant to be theory-neutral by asking
      > questions surrounding the most frequently suggested causes, including
      > but not limited to: cell phone towers, high voltage lines, smart meters,
      > gas lines, medical issues with hearing, proximity to ocean and specific
      > geographic features, and so on. When the map is better populated with
      > entries and with new searching and display tools, we'll finally have
      > something interesting to work with.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Glen
      >
      > P.S. I am grappling with the thorny issue of how the map can/should
      > reflect the fact the Hum waxes and wanes, if not stops completely for
      > stretches of time. Perhaps the map should have "registered users" who
      > have editing power over specific map plots. Suggestions are welcome. gm
      >

      > On 13-03-21 2:00 PM, Copsne wrote:
      > >
      > > If you cpuld get him to modernize my map, over laid on the gaslines,
      > > that would be my wish list. I could provide him the excel data base
      > >
      > > Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's
      > >
      > > On Mar 21, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Glen MacPherson
      > > <glen.macpherson@... <mailto:glen.macpherson@...>> wrote:
      > >

      > >> Hi Everybody.
      > >>
      > >> I am very pleased, if not excited, to report that a professional-level
      > >> Google Earth/Google Maps API programmer and hearer has joined our
      > >> efforts to bring the Hum Map and Database to the next level.
      > >>
      > >> I need your wish list. My own thoughts are that we need a sophisticated
      > >> search engine that will be able to tell you, for example, "Give me a
      > >> list of female left-handed Hum hearers who live within 10 miles of high
      > >> voltage power lines", and that sort of thing.
      > >>
      > >> Think of any type of thing you wished you could do with the map or the
      > >> database to aid in your research and let me know, and will be make some
      > >> decisions on what direction things will take.
      > >>
      > >> Cheers
      > >>
      > >> Glen
      > >>
      > >> P.S. I've waited for a month or so to report on a classic
      > >> characteristic: the Hum in my area seems to have greatly diminished to
      > >> the point where some evenings I cannot sense it. Tonight I am going to
      > >> drive down to my former residence near Sechelt (I live in Gibsons now),
      > >> park in a quiet car, and listen. If I hear nothing, then a quick drive
      > >> up into the lower slopes of Mount Elphinstone will be in order. I'll let
      > >> you know what I find out. I am as motivated as ever to locate the source
      > >> of it.

    • veiled.mystery
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2013
        Hi Glen,
        Would it be possible to plot the locations of loud Hum on a daily basis to see how it "moves around" the world to see if it has any sort of pattern to it? For example, in the post i put up the day i said i had noticed that when it's bad in America it isn't bad in England, and vice versa, but America is a big place, it would be interesting to know if people in Western America hear it first and it "moves" across the States to Eastern America, then across to England, like a "Ripple Effect" on a weekly or monthly basis, or if it is the other way around, which would only be possible to determine by plotting daily Loud Hum Locations and being able to move the map in such a way as to be able to click backwards and forwards between days like the Astronomers do when they are trying to determine if something on their star maps is moving.
        Hope i explained this in a way that you understand.