John Beaman is now a Hum Map Editor (and two theoretical issues)

  • Glen MacPherson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2013
      Thanks to John (engineidler), who is now co-administering the Hum Map and Database with me. My other duties became overwhelming and thanks to John's help, the database entries are now, probably in a more timely way than before, being individually reviewed, judged against the stated criteria, and plotted.

      In the next few weeks I plan to take an entire evening and examine each and every of the several hundred entries as a group, and then spend some time simply thinking about anything ethnographic that I have missed: something the hearers have in common.

      Two Theoretical Issues:

      1. The Hum database reveals and confirms that the large majority of us are in our mid-to-late 40s or older. Why is that the case? With a sigh I realize that I also need intern-level knowledge of the anatomy of the human ear, the aging process of the ear, and related issues.

      2. I've stumbled over a most interesting 1972 article from The US Navy regarding VLF communication systems:  http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/0101-1xx/0101_113-02.pdf

      Buried in Section 2 of the chapter is something remarkable: as a VLF wavefront moves more than 5000 km away from its source, it starts to converge, not diverge. That means the interference between two VLF wave fronts can create modulated VLF "hot spots" at vast distances from their sources. I must pursue this and also learn what happens when VLF signals meet an ocean-land boundary.

      Cheers

      Glen

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22, 2013
          Interesting article.......

          Extremely low frequency continue to be an essential communications system to support strategic and tactical submarine forces (ELF).  The Russians have a 82hz ELF transmitter and the US 76.  USA & Russia both transmit in the ELF band.  VLF & ELF bands are only a little part of the totally communications directed from submarines...Ground bases, aerial stations & satellites are all involved.  Signals are received round the world.  Some signals are unidentified at 26 & 74 hz.

          Transmitters in the 20hz range are also found in pipeline inspection gauges. known as PIGS.

          Some radio hams record ELF signals from very large homemade antennas and play them back at higher speeds to catch natural fluctuations in the Earth's electromagnetic fields.  Increasing the playback increases the pitch, so that it is brought into the audio frequency range.  Elf waves also naturally occur in the region between the ionosphere and the surface.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013
            Glenn,
            I completely agree with you about the importance of Issue #1. I think
            we all wonder what exactly changed in our ears/hearing around middle age
            that enabled us to suddenly sense the Hum? And the corollary: What. if
            anything, can be done medically to reverse it?

            Finding the source of the Hum becomes somewhat of a hollow victory if
            nothing can ever be done to relieve the discomfort it causes.

            My Thanks to you and everyone else in this Group for all of your
            efforts, and keep on investigating!

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Glen MacPherson <glen.macpherson@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013
              The problem, hearing is only one sensation occurring. Everyone exposed is effected. We may be finding ways in this little group to cope, but what about the millions who havent a clue why their  bodies and minds are getting scrambled. This phenomena must be exposed and dealt with. And those hums that are man made, must be found.