Re: HUM_FORUM: Back home from Dr's office. Feeling exhausted. Very stressful. Still ongoing.

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 6 11:29 AM
      Yes and possibily some other effects of higher pressures, gas flow direction chane, type of gas composition. Thats where an investigation is needed to pin point.
      I have measured and observed an attenuating hum for 25 miles away from our lines. Found out later I was tracking along an old fault line that probably helped it get so far away. And yes, the large diameter pipes act as wave guides, its all proven science

      On Mar 5, 2013, at 10:59 PM, Wayne Barto <wfbarto@...> wrote:

      Julieann,   What Steve is referring to regarding the natural gas network is the possibility that the hum is created by the compressor stations along the pipelines and then transmitted along the pipelines to our homes and our surrounding vicinity.  It seems that low frequency sound waves have the ability to travel very long distances, so you don't have to be right next to the pipeline for this to affect you.  Of course, if the natural gas line is hard-piped into your house, then the sound and the low frequency sound waves are brought right into you living environment.

      This is just one of the theories of the hum origin and the overall problem.  In the older posts and archives their are quite a few other possibilities that have been put forth...and in fact, there may be multiple sources of the hum in our modern society (ie. cell towers, microwave transmissions, high power lines, etc.).  The earth itself seems to be experiencing unprecedented tectonic plate movements lately as evidenced by multitudes of earthquakes, volcanic activity, sinkhole developments, etc.

      I perceive that you may be one of the individuals within the subset of hum hearers that is extra-sensitive to the hum and the seeming acoustic pressure and sound waves that accompany it.  There are quite a few people that are like you on this forum...so don't feel like you are alone.  Since you are looking for a little humor in all of this...I would call this subset "real humdingers".

      All kidding aside though, it sounds to me that right now you are in need of a little relief and recuperation.  If you can go somewhere else for a few days or the weekend that may help you get somewhat back to normal.  I also think you are doing the right thing by being totally and brutally honest with your primary care physician and getting some testing done as recommended by him.  Good for you!  It sounds like he is a keeper by your description about his interest in the subject matter and that he does not discount your problems at all.

      Here is another suggestion that I will give you.  I have accessed a web site that has an "on-line tone generator" on it.  Someone posted several months ago that for some scientific reason that is over my head, the frequency of 207 Hz has a wonderful masking effect on the hum.  So I went to the web site.  It can be found at: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/   Go down the front page and insert the number "207" in place of the default "440" and then click on play.  Make sure your computer speakers are turned up. When I do this the hum that I hear miraculously disappears and so does the "pressure" effect that I feel from the sound waves surrounding me in my home.  It really is quite remarkable and apparently operates in a way that it cancels the frequency sound that is in the hum that I hear at my house.  This is a key thing...if the frequency and the hum at your location is different than mine, this will probably not work, but there are several people that have posted on here that this works for them.  Therefore I would conclude that the hum noise that those people are hearing is caused by one and the same source that I have at my house. Perhaps there are other frequencies beside 207 Hz that would cancel out the hums of other different frequencies if there are those out there.  Someone else would have to report back on that.

      The downside of the tone generator and the 207 Hz is that you get tired of hearing the 207 Hz frequency also.  However, I can report that it is much less annoying than the hum itself and it does gives you temporary relief and the pressure reduction at the ear drum is the best feature. Do a search on the number "207" on this forum and see if it doesn't return a bunch more posts and experiences on the use of this method.

      Well ...better close for now.  God bless and I hope you can get some relief and find the source of your hum...like the rest of us!

      Wayne

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6 1:44 PM
        Download a great spectral analyzer program called spectrum lab. Its a free audiophile program. Make measures inside your home. Post or send me screen shot. Lets see if you have similar spectral freq patterns as me and the folks in Windsor Canada

        On Mar 6, 2013, at 3:18 AM, "julieann_the_artist@..." <julieann_the_artist@...> wrote:

        Actually, what you're writing about is not far from what I have been thinking about too. In fact, I have had a great deal of insomnia lately, as my husband had shoulder surgery back on December 19, and has had a slower than expected recovery. As such, he has still had to sleep in a semi-sitting position in the living room recliner since the surgery. He is in college again working on another engineering degree and tends to do his studying into the night. I developed the practice of staying up with him so we'd have at least some time together, but in the process came to be sleeping in the daytime as well. I have tried to change the pattern, as has he, but with very little success. Insomnia has been the result of it all, and more for me than him. It hasn't been at all uncommon for me to still be awake long after he finally goes to sleep. I often see daylight coming in around the closed window curtains as I am just getting to sleep, and rarely sleep more than two or three hours at a time before waking up and end up wide awake again. Then by late afternoon I'm either dead tired or sleepy again. I may take a short hour or so nap, but that solves little. And I think I have nit mentioned it before, but I am diabetic. I have been since 1994, and have been insulin resistant for much of the past decade. I am taking Actos Plus Met 15/500 BID. I want to get off of that due to the possible link to bladder cancer, but so far it's the only thing that helps. I'm digressing though. Getting back to the cortisol issue, I'm having blood drawn for checking my levels as soon as the sites for venipuncture can be used again. I had five IV sites while I was in the hospital, and the veins that are usually used for drawing blood in the Dr's office all "blew" while in the hospital.
        Thinking about what all I was put through there last week, I feel sort of ... violated... actually. When one of the IV sites was being disco'd, the nurse pulled the skin tape off so quickly that it tore the skin on the inside of my forearm! All of THIS for a buzzing hum!
        What's done is done, but the after effects are ongoing. I had some elevated white blood cell counts, so I was given piggy-back IV antibiotic drips five times, and now have an oral yeast that looks and feels like a sunburn. My primary physician, the one I saw on Tuesday, wasn't called in on what went on in the hospital, they said the staff physicians " would call him if he was needed", so he wasn't consulted on any of this. The doctors I saw there were the staff ones. I think that I am actually becoming pretty angry about some of the ways things were handled while I was there! *sigh* I usually try to be proactive about things, but this has been so not typical that I feel I dropped the ball on this one. My doctor that is on this now is a lot more open-minded about it than I thought he might be, so at least I feel comfortable now talking to him about it all. If he had't been, I don't want to think how plain despondent I might have been. I want the cortisol levels checked to either rule it in or out as a potential part of this whole thing. God knows, I DO seem to come under the "brain stress" idea you write about! I was given a refill of Diazepam and my husband had it filled. I took two 10mg tablets and noticed that both the vibrations and the sound dissipated, but after a shortish sleep, they are both back. It's after 3:00 a.m. as I write this! I can now feel and hear the hum as usual now, but I'm going to try to get more sleep anyway. Thank you for your reply, and I will write as this thing goes one way or another. I keep saying I have to keep some humor about this, but really, it isn't so easy at times. I hope there is ANY kind of an answer or treatment for this. I'm still waiting for somebody in my family or the medical personnel to mention aliens! I hope they can run fast if they do! ;) Thanks much. Take care, JulieAnn