Hum News at www.thehum.info

  • Glen MacPherson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012

      News and Updates

      Hi Folks and Happy New Year. The map is heading toward 5500 views and I would estimate around 350 to 400 map points. (I would really appreciate it if the link from this forum could be updated to the proper url at www.thehum.info).

      I've started a research and news blog at www.thehum.info. In that blog I will also be posting brief articles for those who want refreshers on some basic science concepts. Recent items discussed on the blog:

      1. I'm awaiting a response from a radio engineer regarding my proposal to use mild steel to construct a "Deming Box" (suggested in his 2004 paper). The Deming Box experiment will finally help sort out whether VLF frequencies are required for hearing the Hum. Frankly, I'm astonished that it hasn't been conducted yet. If I get the green light, I'll be able to build it for about $300.00. One exciting part of this experiment is that if it is found that VLF frequencies are prerequisite for the Hum, the next step is to acquire a VLF receiver and pinpoint precisely which frequencies are suspect. This could lead directly to the source.

      2. Garbage science and conspiracy. I run the risk of annoying a few people with this article, but as a science teacher and educator, I speak out when I hear garbage science. Opinion and intuition are one thing, while the basic facts are another. Some of the best science begins with intuition and speculation, but it never ends there. We set aside our pet theories, conduct controlled experiments, and look honestly at the results. Regarding conspiracy: again, it comes down to reliable evidence. I can easily imagine that the Hum is somehow connected to major infrastructure or the military-industrial complex. And if that turns out to be true, then that simply changes the arena for our struggle. But to suggest that specific individuals have been targeted by the government by radio waves because they are cranks or troublemakers, as irrational and unlikely as that seems, it is easy to test. The ultimate irony here is that a relatively thin sheet of foil actually will block microwave, wireless, and smart-meter frequencies. You can envision a simple and very cheap double-blind experiment involving a person who complains about targeted transmissions.  But then, of course, if the results are unsatisfactory for the participant, the experimenter then becomes part of the conspiracy and there is no winning, just deeper and deeper levels of conspiracy. Good stuff for a Cable reality show, but it has nothing to do with science.

      3. The Sechelt Noise Survey. An assistant and I will be replicating the Kokomo data gathering, but this time with more detailed demographic and medical information. We will be using a two-pronged effort involving Canada Post and door-to-door delivery in order to answer an important question: what is the incidence of Hum hearing in the population?

      Cheers

      Glen

    • engineidler
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
        Glen, can you please open a Paypal account so we can donate to the $300 costs, you could post the account here and on your website, maybe we can raise enough for both boxes.

        John

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Glen MacPherson <glen.macpherson@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > of foil actually will block microwave, wireless, and smart-meter
        > frequencies. You can envision a simple and very cheap double-blind
        > experiment involving a person who complains about targeted transmissions.
        > But then, of course, if the results are unsatisfactory for the participant,
        > the experimenter then becomes part of the conspiracy and there is no
        > winning, just deeper and deeper levels of conspiracy. Good stuff for a
        > Cable reality show, but it has nothing to do with science.
        >

        > 3. The Sechelt Noise Survey. An assistant and I will be replicating the
        > Kokomo data gathering, but this time with more detailed demographic and
        > medical information. We will be using a two-pronged effort involving Canada
        > Post and door-to-door delivery in order to answer an important question:
        > what is the incidence of Hum hearing in the population?

      • Glen MacPherson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
          That's a smart idea, John. I might pause just for a moment to consider if receiving donations gives any impression of being beholden or influenced somehow. I also wonder about accounting and taxation issues. I think I'll do some quick research (or maybe somebody else can) on how to quickly and painlessly set up a non-profit in Canada so that online donations can be accepted. That also provides the opportunity for greater transparency by taking control of this out of my hands and sharing it with people who can oversee the accounting and decision making. The more I think about it, the more I think that's the way I'll go. Receiving non-profit status will give a beachhead for the type of governmental recognition and legitimacy that Hum deserves.

          It won't happen quickly, but I'll help get it done.

          Cheers

          Glen