Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: 50 new map plots today around Seattle

  • Glen MacPherson
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 12, 2012
      Hi Ben.

      I watched the video and I noted at once that the sound on the video is completely unlike what I experience. I cannot hear the Hum outdoors unless I am in car in a quiet area. The classic Hum that I experience is very difficult to record, and there is good reason to believe that it never has been. (I am aware of the New Zealand recordings available on the web). Cell phones, for example, are hopelessly inadequate for the task. Listening to recordings of low frequency sounds requires nothing more than a good set of headphones, most of which respond as a low as 18 to 20 Hz. Recording very low frequency sounds, however, is a completely different matter, requiring specialized equipment. Moreover, what makes my job as a researcher difficult is to sort out what might actually be industrial noises. For example, zoom over to the Windsor, Ontario, Canada area, and look at all the "Hum Direction Lines" there. Seems very convincing, except for one little thing: the people plotting those lines are already convinced that industrial activity on Zug Island is to blame. I may choose to ignore evidence from that area for the time being. The Kokomo experience, I think, supports my caution.

      As for West Seattle, I have half a mind to come down there and listen to it myself as part of a hum voyage. There are some very simple experiments that I can perform that can sort out a few basic issues. For example, simply stepping into a relatively sound-proofed room. See Deming's paper for an exploration of that issue.

      Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed about the noise-cancellation measures.

      Cheers

      Glen

      On 12-12-12 12:56 PM, soultheorem1111 wrote:

      Hi Glen,
      I've been hearing The Hum in North Seattle intermittently since 2008 (we've email corresponded previously), so I've been interested in the the 'West Seattle Hum' ever since the West Seattle Blog started reporting it.
      From what I've ascertained, the tone of the West Seattle Hum is more akin to the 'strange sounds' videos on YouTube - a medium-pitched modulating frequency - and not the low-pitched 50-60 hertz Hum. The 50-60 hertz sound might be in there, but I have not been fortunate enough (unfortunate enough!?) to hear the 'Seattle Hum in person. This YouTube video has a great mp4-sound link to the 'Seattle Hum:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8dTHcbwPf4

      CalPortland has just completed their noise-reducing upgrades so it will be very interesting to find out what happens with the 'Seattle Hum!
      http://westseattleblog.com/2012/12/the-hum-followup-calportland-installs-second-silencer-hopes-thats-the-fix

      Cheers!
      Ben

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Glen MacPherson <glen.macpherson@...> wrote:

      > Hi.
      >
      > I discovered, yet again, an annotated Google hum map, this time for the
      > Seattle area. I reviewed the plots, and then imported them into our map.
      >
      > I am certain there are more Google Hum maps out there. Please help
      > locate them, evaluate their credibility, and send me the url, please.
      >
      > My goal is to have 500 map points by Christmas.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Glen
      >
      > Please spread knowledge about the map at www.thehum.info

    • tofinosurfer
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 1, 2013
        Excellent.

        You can either email me or use the Report button on the website.

        Cheers

        Glen