New member

  • coatesmargaret
    Message 1 of 85 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hi, I just joined. It's a relief to find other people who are
      experiencing the same thing as me, though I'm sorry that you are
      afflicted with the
      damn thing.

      I live on the east coast Australia and I heard the hum first in 2002
      for five weeks in
      June/July (lucky me – only five weeks) then not again till end of
      July this year and it's
      intensified lately.

      Here's an interesting news story on the earth's hum by Japanese
      scientists, released
      on Sept 29th 2004. See weblinks below. Sorry if this is already
      here somewhere – I
      haven't read all the posts yet. They suggest that it comes from
      movement of ocean
      currents and that's why it is noisier in the winter months of
      each hemisphere. Until
      the last few weeks it did seem to have a distinct directionality
      which happened to be
      where the sea is five kms away and it does seem to be louder on days
      when the sea is
      very rough.

      http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/n
      ature/journal/v431/n7008/abs/
      nature02942_fs.html&dynoptions=doi1097374509

      My neighbour has heard it during the daytime. She confirmed the
      dominant note
      was the E and a few days later the F above (below - hard to
      tell)middle C on the
      piano. Same note as another poster mentioned.

      I decided the sound was low frequency noise and probably beyond the
      threshold of
      hearing, but it puzzled me that I could hear it as well as feel it as
      a pressure in the
      ears and a pressure/vibration in the chest. I knew from physiology
      studies way back
      that the threshold of pain/damage of a sound was about 128/132 dB and
      the
      threshold of tickle/sensation is somewhere about 116 dB. Therefore
      if my reasoning
      was correct, the LFN sometimes causes sensation/feeling and must be
      approaching
      116 dBs in volume which is pretty loud.

      An acoustically knowledgeable friend said a hum below the threshold
      of hearing, say
      20 hz, would probably generate harmonics in the audible frequency
      range and that
      was probably what I was hearing.

      I've been thinking maybe some sounds amplify the underlying hum.
      When my
      neighbour's pool pump is on there's more pressure in the ears
      and the hum is louder
      but it's still there when the pump is off. We live in a developing
      area with roadworks,
      and new buildings going up within a few kms of the house.

      The hum is louder inside than outside even when ambient noise outside
      is low - I
      know other people have said that – and my neighbour can hear it
      in our house but not
      in theirs. I read that some houses tend to amplify sound depending
      on construction
      materials and shape of inner spaces.

      I've wondered if older people are more likely to hear the hum
      because LFN is
      conducted by the bones as fluctuations in atmospheric pressure rather
      than
      acoustically through the ear? The bones of older people may be less
      dense and
      therefore more conductive? I seem to remember some hearing aids for
      deaf people
      are via bone conductivity.

      The reports above tentatively suggest that it is due to natural
      causes but I don't think
      that can be the whole of the story. Subjectively it doesn't
      sound at all `natural'. And
      the sea does.

      Pardon the length of this and it's a bit disjointed but it is
      good to get it off my chest.
      Maggie
      Message 85 of 85 , Jan 25
        Lidia,
         The type of internet we have here as well as throughout the majority of the USA is DSL Digital Subscriber Lines and/or cable modem access.. Our internet here is handled through the phone lines which in my area is fiber optic, though in the majority of the rural areas and non converted areas are still on low voltage copper wires which also carry our phone service. The copper wires nave not been changed out in the majority of the areas in the USA that are not highly populated metropolitan centers.
        International Broadband Electric Communications or IBEC
        IBEC, Inc. is a full-service provider of broadband over power line Internet access products, solutions and services, electric utility SmartGrid communication and integration solutions, and powerline-based security systems. Focused on meeting the broadband needs of rural and underserved America - See more at: http://www.mcpressonline.com/cio-news/trends/ibm-and-ibec-initiate-broadband-access-to-200000-rural-americans.html#sthash.c4l6UVyY.dpuf

        My home is not in a rural area at all so this didn't apply to me at any point.

        The following other BPL deployments in the US are dismantled as of May 2008:[27]
        LocationElectric providerEquipmentService providerReference (if not [27])
        AL, Hoover (and other cities)Southern CompanyVarious

        AZ, CottonwoodArizona Power Systems (APS)Mitsubishi

        CA, Menlo ParkPacific Gas and Electric (PG&E)Main.net

        CA, RosemeadSouthern California Edison (SCE)Current Technologies

        CA, San DiegoSan Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E)Various

        CT, SheltonUnited IlluminatingAmperion

        FL, GracevilleWest Florida Electric CooperativeAscom

        FL, MiamiFlorida Power and LightAmperion and Main.net

        GA, DouglasvilleGreystone PowerMitsubishi

        GA, Young HarrisThe Sphigler GroupMain.net

        HI, HonoluluHonolulu Electric CompanyCurrent Technologies

        IA, Cedar RapidsAlliant EnergyAmperion

        ID, BoiseIDACorpVarious

        IN, LibertyWhitewater RMEMCCorinex

        MD, HughesvilleSouthern Maryland Electric CompanyCurrent Technologies

        MD, PotomacPEPCOCurrent Technologies

        MN, RochesterRochester Public UtilitiesMain.net

        MO, Lees SummitAquilaAmperion

        NC, RaleighProgress EnergyAmperion

        OH, CincinnatiDuke EnergyCurrent Technologies

        NY, Penn YanPenn Yan Power and LightAmperion

        PA, AllentownPennsylvania Power and LightMain.net and Amperion

        TN, FayettevilleFayetteville Public UtilitiesGrid Stream

        TX, DallasOncor Electric Delivery CompanyCurrent

        TX, AustinAustin Electric EnergyCorinex

        TX, FlatoniaBroadband HorizonsUnknown

        TX, WeimarFayette Electric CooperativePowerWan
        VA, RoanokeAmerican Electric PowerMitsubishi

        WA, WenatcheeHeights, Chelan County PUDGridstream

        Here is a link to a govt web site where you can see if you have BPL in your area or not by typing in your zip code.
        My zip code is 46311 so Lidia you'll have to put it in yourself so you can see it there. We do not have any access to BPL here and never have.

        The US has fallen behind Japan, the EU and South Korea in power grid technology, and has made it a national priority to improve its energy demand and supply management.
        More generally, as of December 2012, only about 65 percent of Americans had broadband access.[17] The United States ranks 16th in the world, with South Korea at 95 percent and Singapore at 88 percent. Genachowski said over 20 countries had plans for broadband access, and that the lack of access in rural and low-income areas in the United States resulted in "leaving millions behind".[18]
        By 2020, the goal was for 100 million households to have access to 100 Mbit/s service.[19] 200 million people had broadband in 2009[20] (nationwide, the average connection speed was 3.9 Mbit/s[21]), up from 8 million in 2000. But 14 million have no access whatsoever to broadband.

        Power-line Internet has developed faster in Europe than in the U.S. due to a historical difference in power system design philosophies. Data signals cannot pass through the step-down transformers used and so a repeater must be installed on each transformer.[54] In the U.S. a transformer serves a small cluster of from one to a few houses. In Europe, it is more common for a somewhat larger transformer to service larger clusters of from 10 to 100 houses. Thus a typical U.S. city requires an order of magnitude more repeaters than in a comparable European city.[55]
        Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISPs) are rapidly becoming a popular broadband option for rural areas.[105] The technology's line-of-sight requirements may hamper connectivity in some areas with hilly and heavily foliated terrain. However, the Tegola project, a successful pilot in remote Scotland, demonstrates that wireless can be a viable option

        LAST but not least is this link to a fantastic web site that dices out all of the forms of broadband access in the USA in the form of maps! I LOVE THIS ONE! It should help many in the group here in the USA!
        I hope Amanda and Glen snarf this one up and utilize it somehow! YAY!

        Blessings to all,
        Suzie