I think I'm hearing a hum!

  • laiumiere
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2012
      I live in Blanch, NC, near the border of Virginia. Tonight I've been noticing a very low humming sound, like a pressure one would hear from a truck or a helicopter that was a continuous hum. But I can only hear it inside my house - when I open the door there is only crickets. (I checked twice!)

      I don't have any neighbors and live in the country.

      When it first started it was low and steady, but lately it's become rather choppy and ... oh, maybe it's stopped... no, but slowed down a bit and is kind of intermittent hum... hum.... hum... and somehow seems not as loud.

      It was very painful to my ears/head. I think I first noticed it about a half hour ago. I have a dog in a kennel outside and he hasn't made any noise. It's still going but not nearly as loud (or deep?) right now. It is very annoying, still, though.

      Do people think that there is drilling going on deep in the earth, like a machine from Speed Racer? What is it?!
    • Lasse No
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
        When you are inside, all sound from the outside is muted and it's esier to hear low sound. Much like if you have your head inside a box. Low sound travels easier long sistance and a builing can amplify a low sound depending on the size of the house, rooms etc. Ventilation can cause standing waves at low frequency. Try opening a window, test all windows one at the time. Close doors. If it is a standing wave it can be disrupted by opening a window/closing a door. If you have a large room with no doors, try make a large screen in the mddle of the room to disrupt the wave. If this is sound, you will detect it with a WM61A microphone!

        Regards

        Lasse

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
          Typical report from many. Like Lasse says- standing waves. Corners can be worse than open field in room. Differences are sensible and measurable FFT or spectro graph from floor to floor. It seems in a typical woodframed house the intensity worsens the higher floors up. On a real high hum day the reasonace of the house can be sensed outside, like under an open air covered front porch.  The surface sound waves in and along the ground cause visible standing waves on my above ground 24 ft dia pool. Video is in the files section still, I think. 2 years of phenomena video and no fakery.
          This hum thing is powerful!
          I actually find whole house fans to soothe the effects of the hum. But winter is here and will revert to ceiling fans and HEPA fans

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
            Wind can cause vibration and low frequency sound. If the wind blows around your house, somewhere there is a vortex behind a corner that generate hum in the building. Depending on the direction of the wind, the house shape you can have really severe vortexes even at low wind speed.

            We have a famous appartement complex here where vortexes reach allmost hurricane speeds at relativte low wind speed. The houses is placed completely wrong in regard to the prevailing wind. Turn the house 15 degreees and the vortexes allmost disappear.

            Regards

            Lasse

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Copsne <c_o_p_s_ne@...> wrote:

            > Typical report from many. Like Lasse says- standing waves. Corners can be worse than open field in room. Differences are sensible and measurable FFT or spectro graph from floor to floor. It seems in a typical woodframed house the intensity worsens the higher floors up. On a real high hum day the reasonace of the house can be sensed outside, like under an open air covered front porch. The surface sound waves in and along the ground cause visible standing waves on my above ground 24 ft dia pool. Video is in the files section still, I think. 2 years of phenomena video and no fakery.
            > This hum thing is powerful!
            > I actually find whole house fans to soothe the effects of the hum. But winter is here and will revert to ceiling fans and HEPA fans
            >
            > Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's

          • laiumiere
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
              Thank you everyone for your replies!

              The "hum" is still going. I feel a bit nauseous and have a slight headache. I can "feel" it but not notice it as much if I am watching a show or have a fan running, but it's always in the background. It seems more noticeable at night. It's "louder" when it's totally quiet in the house.

              I went and unplugged my refrigerator, but (dang it!) I still hear the hum. Right now it's occasionally kind of pulsating.

              I live in a one story mobile home type of house (but with siding), about 16x40 or so. The noise is loudest in my large bedroom at the one end of the house.

              The noise is not wind, and I do not live near a highway. I opened a window and the hum might be a little less pronounced, but I can still hear it - actually I can hear it like it's farther away now outside as well as in here. But since it's chilly outside I won't keep the window open.

              I don't have any new or different electronics than a few days ago except for a small oil-filled heater, so I unplugged that and the hum persisted anyway. The past few days I've had my bedroom door closed because I am using the room heater in here; when I open my door the sound is still here.

              This noise is very annoying. :(

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
                It's strengthening in CT. Especially wirh closing up the house.

                On Oct 8, 2012, at 8:52 PM, "laiumiere" <germanbini@...> wrote:

                Thank you everyone for your replies!

                The "hum" is still going. I feel a bit nauseous and have a slight headache. I can "feel" it but not notice it as much if I am watching a show or have a fan running, but it's always in the background. It seems more noticeable at night. It's "louder" when it's totally quiet in the house.

                I went and unplugged my refrigerator, but (dang it!) I still hear the hum. Right now it's occasionally kind of pulsating.

                I live in a one story mobile home type of house (but with siding), about 16x40 or so. The noise is loudest in my large bedroom at the one end of the house.

                The noise is not wind, and I do not live near a highway. I opened a window and the hum might be a little less pronounced, but I can still hear it - actually I can hear it like it's farther away now outside as well as in here. But since it's chilly outside I won't keep the window open.

                I don't have any new or different electronics than a few days ago except for a small oil-filled heater, so I unplugged that and the hum persisted anyway. The past few days I've had my bedroom door closed because I am using the room heater in here; when I open my door the sound is still here.

                This noise is very annoying. :(

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "laiumiere" <germanbini@...> wrote:

                > I live in Blanch, NC, near the border of Virginia. Tonight I've been noticing a very low humming sound, like a pressure one would hear from a truck or a helicopter that was a continuous hum. But I can only hear it inside my house - when I open the door there is only crickets. (I checked twice!)
                >
                > I don't have any neighbors and live in the country.
                >
                > When it first started it was low and steady, but lately it's become rather choppy and ... oh, maybe it's stopped... no, but slowed down a bit and is kind of intermittent hum... hum.... hum... and somehow seems not as loud.
                >
                > It was very painful to my ears/head. I think I first noticed it about a half hour ago. I have a dog in a kennel outside and he hasn't made any noise. It's still going but not nearly as loud (or deep?) right now. It is very annoying, still, though.
                >
                > Do people think that there is drilling going on deep in the earth, like a machine from Speed Racer? What is it?!

              • lidia1313
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 2012
                  Tonight the Hum is ear piercing (and very strong vibrations between 11 pm and 1:30 am, which disspeared now), it has been quiet for the last 2-3 weeks (except for the vibrations)...

                  Has anyone noticed a pattern according to the Moon cycle? (It is a New Moon now...)

                  Lidia

                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Copsne <c_o_p_s_ne@...> wrote:

                  > It's strengthening in CT. Especially wirh closing up the house.
                  >
                  > Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's
                  >
                  > On Oct 8, 2012, at 8:52 PM, "laiumiere" <germanbini@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thank you everyone for your replies!
                  > >
                  > > The "hum" is still going. I feel a bit nauseous and have a slight headache. I can "feel" it but not notice it as much if I am watching a show or have a fan running, but it's always in the background. It seems more noticeable at night. It's "louder" when it's totally quiet in the house.
                  > >
                  > > I went and unplugged my refrigerator, but (dang it!) I still hear the hum. Right now it's occasionally kind of pulsating.
                  > >
                  > > I live in a one story mobile home type of house (but with siding), about 16x40 or so. The noise is loudest in my large bedroom at the one end of the house.
                  > >
                  > > The noise is not wind, and I do not live near a highway. I opened a window and the hum might be a little less pronounced, but I can still hear it - actually I can hear it like it's farther away now outside as well as in here. But since it's chilly outside I won't keep the window open.
                  > >
                  > > I don't have any new or different electronics than a few days ago except for a small oil-filled heater, so I unplugged that and the hum persisted anyway. The past few days I've had my bedroom door closed because I am using the room heater in here; when I open my door the sound is still here.
                  > >
                  > > This noise is very annoying. :(
                  > >
                  > > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "laiumiere" <germanbini@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I live in Blanch, NC, near the border of Virginia. Tonight I've been noticing a very low humming sound, like a pressure one would hear from a truck or a helicopter that was a continuous hum. But I can only hear it inside my house - when I open the door there is only crickets. (I checked twice!)
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't have any neighbors and live in the country.
                  > > >
                  > > > When it first started it was low and steady, but lately it's become rather choppy and ... oh, maybe it's stopped... no, but slowed down a bit and is kind of intermittent hum... hum.... hum... and somehow seems not as loud.
                  > > >
                  > > > It was very painful to my ears/head. I think I first noticed it about a half hour ago. I have a dog in a kennel outside and he hasn't made any noise. It's still going but not nearly as loud (or deep?) right now. It is very annoying, still, though.
                  > > >
                  > > > Do people think that there is drilling going on deep in the earth, like a machine from Speed Racer? What is it?!

                • Arne
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 14, 2012

                    No (- for me, and I’ve been “looking”).

                    Arne

                    Central MN USA

                    From: humforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:humforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lidia1313

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012
                      Thanks...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 15, 2012
                        Same old patterns here. Some days extreme, some not as bad. After midnite if not running fans, it is stupidly bad. Variability seems dependabt on the temp forcast of the following day.