Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: NEW PETITION TO INVESTIGATE AND STOP THE HUM WORLDWIDE

    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 5, 2012
      I am not interested in this subject because I do not work in nor live in a sick building and I do not believe that that is the source of the hum in my case.
      Thanks,
      Suzie

      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 8, 2012
        Thanks will incorporate what I can

        For now I just filed a FERC (fed energy reg commission) complaint about the hum from the lines and will try to get more news coverage like the article I had a couple months ago, but more focused on the hum. Hopefully garner some others to step up and start filing complaints .  Plus a few other things.
        Building a group, which is absolutely a great approach, I dont have the extra time band width to do.

        On Oct 6, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Soozie <soozieqty1@...> wrote:

        Steve,
         if you want to push this into the public eye you have to be very creative, persistent,  and totally driven. Writing too many letters to one place will only get you ignored. That kind of action is perceived as harassment unless it comes from many many different citizens. If it all comes from one person it's a bad thing, in their eyes you're a crank. That having been said, you might choose instead to focus on the support group angle and arranging for guest speakers and grand rounds. When you first start your group you can advertise it for free by asking your local paper to publish a public announcement about the group forming when and where. They do this for doctor's and dentist offices grand openings etc., this is done the same way. The advertisement of your group as well as the guest speaker events will give you a lot more free press. The papers are very willing to publish coming event news, but first you have to have your local group together for the guest speaker to have a base audience to speak to, then advertise the event bringing in more of "Joe Public" to join too. After the group is formed and meetings are scheduled and publicized in the paper, you then plan who you'd like to have as guest speakers and contact them to schedule. Then you advertise that not only in the paper but also fliers, radio, and PBS/community T.V. channels, web sites related to your town or community. This will bring in more members as well as garner the press to publish the events and discuss the issues. Be sure to invite reporters to the guest speakers event so that they can write and article about what went on there. Events are a sure fire way to get in the paper and raise awareness. You can collect nominal dues if you wish to cover the expense of printing fliers etc. This process will cost you a lot of personal time, effort, phone calls, and a small bit of money for fliers and name tags, refreshments, etc. The rooms can be free at your local hospital since this is a health related issue. After you get a nice sized base of members you can then plan other kinds of events to bring in even more attention, such as runs, and walks, and festivals, fairs, or other fun things. Again a lot more work and personal effort to pull this kind of thing off, but by then you'll have members to possibly help you with all of the chores involved. Sometimes it's very hard to get even the members to volunteer to help create all of these things, so be prepared to carry it all off by yourself if you must. It's not impossible to do by yourself but you'll have to be firmly committed to see it through and be very organized, as well as not afraid to do public speaking and write a few speeches, and make up some informative hand outs. You can even get those rubber bracelets made with your catch phrase like "The hum is Real, what's the deal"  or some other saying that is an attention grabber, with your contact number on it. you can either charge a small fee for them or if you have the disposable income you can just give them out to folks around town. This will cost a lot more than fliers.
         You also might contact some of your local public access T.V. shows that are health related and ask to be interviewed. You should have all of your thoughts organized well in order to present the information as short and precise as possible, you will not have much time for anything more than the basics. Also consider contacting all kinds of health related T.V. and radio shows and ask to be on to discuss the issue. You could also contact health related columnists to ask them to write about it or interview you and other humlings.
         I hope I spelled it out clearly enough for you to understand the process. It's long and drawn out and requires effort and focus, as well as heavy commitment to build this into something that is of interest to the general public. One guy writing letters and calling government institutions is not likely to get anywhere fast, even 10 guys writing is not enough, so ya have to build the numbers/members first! National and world wide publicity comes well after all of these other steps have been taken. You have to start at the beginning or foundation and build from there. The foundation of our cause is in the shear numbers of hum hearers. We all know they are out there, we just have to let them know we are out here and willing to accept them and support them, they are not alone nor crazy.
         I know this from having CFS/CFIDS/ME at a time when it was considered imaginary, psychiatric, and impossible. We fought the system and won finally after many years of effort on our families part and our part. It can be done I am living proof of that reality.
         I know we all want an easier answer/method to get the word out and get some community government action on this, but there is not short easy way to accomplish this.
        Just my opinion,
        Suzie