Re: Anyone been to thisite? Opinions?

  • humlobotomist
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hello Aussieman!

      I've been to the site. And the measurements mentioned there, do not
      match what I've been experienced of the Hum here in Northern Europe.

      The Hum is as strong outside in rural areas.

      I believe the theory, that buildings "increase" the Hum to be wrong.

      Though I believe, being inside, mask other sound sources, making us
      more able to notice the Hum.

      I rather believe processes in the body creates the Hum, from outside
      stimulans, like electromagnetic waves, and the body somehow reacts on
      the affection of these waves in the low frequency area.

      You must consider, that we sit at the different corners on this
      planet called Earth, and are bothered by the same mean thing called
      the Hum, whatever cause this, it has to be very very strong.

      The website you mention, is informative, but some of the conclusion
      seems odd to me. And the measurements, seems wild.

      And it is interesting to see that now whom should know, here at the
      forum, has given these ideas any comments.

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "oldnickagain" <dropbear@d...> wrote:

      > http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/page1.htm
      >
      > This site puts forward various theories about the nature and source
      > of the hum. The tests to back this up do not match my experience.
      >
      > Any other thoughts about what is put forth there?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
    • oldnickagain
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "humlobotomist" <humlobotomist@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Aussieman!
        >
        > I've been to the site. And the measurements mentioned there, do not
        > match what I've been experienced of the Hum here in Northern Europe.
        >
        > The Hum is as strong outside in rural areas.
        >
        > I believe the theory, that buildings "increase" the Hum to be wrong.
        >
        > Though I believe, being inside, mask other sound sources, making us
        > more able to notice the Hum.

        Yes. This is exactly my thought and experience. I also live away from
        the city and can get a long way from buildings On a quiet day it's
        _worse_ outside.

        I am going to email the guy and see what he says.

        > I rather believe processes in the body creates the Hum, from
        outside
        > stimulans, like electromagnetic waves, and the body somehow reacts
        on
        > the affection of these waves in the low frequency area.
        >
        > You must consider, that we sit at the different corners on this
        > planet called Earth, and are bothered by the same mean thing called
        > the Hum, whatever cause this, it has to be very very strong.

        Could it not be that the hum is generated by audio waves, either
        through the ground or the air, by local sources that are going to be
        very similar in many places, and which generate "white noise" or some
        derivation of it? The low frequency components are going to go
        further, such as when a large machine operates some distance away. In
        the city, other noises mask the deeper parts. I have to admit that I
        have heard the hum in a very small isolated country town, early in
        the morning. But it was not as loud as here, near sources of a lot
        more audio.

        I have recorded the hum, using a simple microphone and a long lead,
        on my PC. It was years ago. I am going to do it again. If it's the
        body's reaction to EMF, I doubt a mic would react exactly the same.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
          I enqoaurage you to do your own research, and make your own opinion.

          If you have a wav file or something of the Hum, it would be
          interesting if you could present a little piece of the file at the
          forum in the files area so we others could liten at it as well.

          People here have been asking for this. Of course, if it is
          authentichal, we need to know how it was recorded, and possible we
          would have proof of this Hum being accoustic.

          I am open for both possibilities, accoustic or electromagnetic.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
            wrote:

            > I enqoaurage you to do your own research, and make your own opinion.
            >
            > If you have a wav file or something of the Hum, it would be
            > interesting if you could present a little piece of the file at the
            > forum in the files area so we others could liten at it as well.
            >
            > People here have been asking for this. Of course, if it is
            > authentichal, we need to know how it was recorded, and possible we
            > would have proof of this Hum being accoustic.
            >
            > I am open for both possibilities, accoustic or electromagnetic.

            I thought TobyPaws had actually _made_ a recording, although they
            asked for one to be made. I could be mistaken. I have read a lot
            today, since starting. (Tobypaws??)

            I will give it a go. I was not very careful last time because I
            thought it was simply me being touchy, or imagination etc. However
            the limited amount of research I can do would probably not allow me
            to form a really strong opinion. Too many possibilities.

            I shall return. Don't hold your breath.
            - the hum is not always there
            - I am often busy when it is
            - I have to organise some gear. I haven't done this work for a
            while. It takes money or contacts.
            - I would need to :
            - record in a grounded /ungrounded steel container (got one)
            - although even then stuff can get through. A Farady cage
            is by no means impervious. We could be talking here of stuff that
            goes hundreds of miles through the ground and sea!
            - record underground / buried (can do, but _really_ want to
            protect the mic properly)
          • oldnickagain
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
              wrote:

              > I enqoaurage you to do your own research, and make your own opinion.

              Hummm...so to speak.

              I have been doing some reading on the Net about what has already been
              done. Guys building piezo microphones from PA speaker driver bits
              and large pieces of circuit board as the diaphragm. They want to get
              that low frequency. Piezo is probably the only way to go.

              One guy actually did record the hum, but then blew his oscilloscope
              up. He does have video of the waveform, and the recording.

              So there is a lot to this. I thought that might be the case.

              The trouble, I may record the hum, and only show a normal low
              frequency (20+Hz) sine wave, because the low frequency stuff is left
              out of the equation altogether. The microphone diaphragm will
              simply "ignore the parts that modulate the hum to give it is
              characterisic modulation.

              I am then left not knowing whether I have a poor recording of a deep,
              submodulated hum, or a simple recording of the dewatering pump down
              the road! :-<