Re: HUM_FORUM: New website humtracker.com

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 25, 2012
    Dave, I'll help you for USA locations since 2000.  But if you want to build a data base you will need to search and stay current on many different blogs, reports, etc.  These points are from an individual that is willing to give their location out of tens of thousands that indicate their location.  About 600.  I don't exclude any I come across as long as the report sounds like my hum, LF idling deisel, varies, mainly heard inside a dwelling or car. etc.  You may find a similarity to the map on the TAOS Hum Site.  Theres a good reason for that besides many of  the older data points are probably the same.  I am collecting more new points, but for the summer here in the US it has slowed.

    Message 2 of 19 , Aug 8, 2012
      In a message dated 25/07/2012 10:27:52 GMT Daylight Time, lidia1313@... writes:
      Dave,
      It is an excellent idea, I hope that the map will be as detailed as Google map! We all need that info, and I am sure that even if there are different Hums, it will help many people... Hope the link will be soon available to us!
      Regards,
      Lidia

      Dear Folks,
      Just a quick note,
      a fellow  Hum-Hearer in Somerset, England, did a map
      and plotted all her known hearers,
      and no clues came from it.
      You might expect 'clusters' round cities and think there
      is a major culprit there, but that could simply be because
      there are more people there......(law of averages?)
      It is very difficult indeed to plot hearers, since not all
      are known : some suffer in silence  for years,
      before saying anything...
      Not trying to be 'negative', but  please don't raise too many hopes about this,
      it's been tried before.
      Best Wishes,
      R.M.,
      LFNSH, England.
      Message 3 of 19 , Aug 8, 2012
        In the name of research, those points away from population centers are as, if not more, informative for use in research to study any suspected source (s).  The best is if the location is one that is isolated and many superfilous noise sources eliminated.

        Dave, how are you making out?

        Message 4 of 19 , Aug 8, 2012
          Firstly I would like to say thanks to all of those who replied. Your support is great.

          I've been busy working on another website and have now got some time to dive into the humtracker site. So I'm going to place the site in maintenance whilst I do the map stuff.

          The one thing I would really like to hear from this community is what should be the subjective scale when making an observation. I just did a search and here are a couple of options.

          1.
          From "Hum" rating scale, as per L. Grant (http://www.eskimo.com/~bilb/freenrg/humlev.txt)

          0 - no sense of hum at any time, ever, period.
          1 - barely hear it, not sure, but can't say nohow, nowhere, notime.
          2 - definitely hearing it, in background, has to be quiet and probably mostly heard in bed.
          3 - Beginning to be a nuisance at times, heard much of the time and can hear when mobile as opposed to lying down. Not that awfully bad and no physiological symptoms noticeable.
          4 - heard most or all of time, strong solid signal, perhaps a faint sense of rumbling with it, getting tired of hearing it, it disrupts thought when studying or doing anything quiet, still no physical symptoms however.
          5 - This is getting pretty dicey. It's there, its loud, I feel a bit tired part or all of the day it distracts me and I think I'm getting a headache, no, I know I'm getting a headache. This is a drag, I can't concentrate, really wish this thing would shut off
          6 - Ow! It's very loud, I can barely think. it knocks me into a chair and I can barely get up, my head hurts, I've got muscle spasms, twitches, aching joints and muscles. Turn this off!
          7 - The room is shaking, vision is blurred, heavy physiological symptoms, exhaustion, starting to get very tense and really agitated. Strong sensation of rumbling and vibration.
          8 - All of the above plus a powerful sensation of electrical shocks going through the body all there is is hum and trying to survive it.
          9 - one notch for future expansion.

          I - Increasing
          U - Unchanged
          D - Decreasing

          2.
          From the April 2006 Hum Study in humforum Files
          All entries should follow this format:
          L = Low intensity hum (not particularly distracting)
          M = Medium intensity hum (definitely distracting)
          H = High intensity hum (loud and annoying)
          OFF = No hum

          I also came across the Subjective units of distress scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_units_of_distress_scale) which seems to align with Grants scale. This scale is interesting as I am sure many of us are up in the 6-10 at times. Including this scale in an observation could be useful as it gives an indication of how stressed we are at the time?

          10 = Feels unbearably bad, beside yourself, out of control as in a nervous breakdown, overwhelmed, at the end of your rope. You may feel so upset that you don't want to talk because you can't imagine how anyone could possibly understand your agitation.

          9 = Feeling desperate. What most people call a 10 is actually a 9. Feeling extremely freaked out to the point that it almost feels unbearable and you are getting scared of what you might do. Feeling very, very bad, losing control of your emotions.

          8 = Freaking out. The beginning of alienation.

          7 = Starting to freak out, on the edge of some definitely bad feelings. You can maintain control with difficulty.

          6 = Feeling bad to the point that you begin to think something ought to be done about the way you feel.

          5 = Moderately upset, uncomfortable. Unpleasant feelings are still manageable with some effort.

          4 = Somewhat upset to the point that you cannot easily ignore an unpleasant thought. You can handle it OK but don't feel good.

          3 = Mildly upset. Worried, bothered to the point that you notice it.

          2 = A little bit upset, but not noticeable unless you took care to pay attention to your feelings and then realize, "yes" there is something bothering me.

          1 = No acute distress and feeling basically good. If you took special effort you might feel something unpleasant but not much.

          0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue.

          I am thinking of having different colour markers on the global map indicating the levels of intensity.
          Your feedback here would be much appreciated.

          Dave

          Message 5 of 19 , Aug 8, 2012
            I'll get back in a few days. Electrical shock is so Buck Rogers, not a good explanation of vibrotactcal sensations at all for here in CT

            From "Hum" rating scale, as per L. Grant (http://www.eskimo.com/~bilb/freenrg/humlev.txt)

[...]

            From the April 2006 Hum Study in humforum Files
            All entries should follow this format:
            L = Low intensity hum (not particularly distracting)
            M = Medium intensity hum (definitely distracting)
            H = High intensity hum (loud and annoying)
            OFF = No hum

            I also came across the Subjective units of distress scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_units_of_distress_scale) which seems to align with Grants scale. This scale is interesting as I am sure many of us are up in the 6-10 at times. Including this scale in an observation could be useful as it gives an indication of how stressed we are at the time?

            10 = Feels unbearably bad, beside yourself, out of control as in a nervous breakdown, overwhelmed, at the end of your rope. You may feel so upset that you don't want to talk because you can't imagine how anyone could possibly understand your agitation.

            9 = Feeling desperate. What most people call a 10 is actually a 9. Feeling extremely freaked out to the point that it almost feels unbearable and you are getting scared of what you might do. Feeling very, very bad, losing control of your emotions.

            8 = Freaking out. The beginning of alienation.

            7 = Starting to freak out, on the edge of some definitely bad feelings. You can maintain control with difficulty.

            6 = Feeling bad to the point that you begin to think something ought to be done about the way you feel.

            5 = Moderately upset, uncomfortable. Unpleasant feelings are still manageable with some effort.

            4 = Somewhat upset to the point that you cannot easily ignore an unpleasant thought. You can handle it OK but don't feel good.

            3 = Mildly upset. Worried, bothered to the point that you notice it.

            2 = A little bit upset, but not noticeable unless you took care to pay attention to your feelings and then realize, "yes" there is something bothering me.

            1 = No acute distress and feeling basically good. If you took special effort you might feel something unpleasant but not much.

            0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue.

            I am thinking of having different colour markers on the global map indicating the levels of intensity.
            Your feedback here would be much appreciated.

            Dave

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kohlhase <c_o_p_s_ne@...> wrote:

            > In the name of research, those points away from population centers are as, if not more, informative for use in research to study any suspected source (s).  The best is if the location is one that is isolated and many superfilous noise sources eliminated.
            >
            > Dave, how are you making out?
            >

            > ________________________________

            =
          • humupnorth
            Message 6 of 19 , Aug 8, 2012
              Thanks Dave, A few suggestions for now. What about a shorter scale of up to 5, and simpler list of symptoms or perceptions. The more detailed scale you have, the more difficult or impossible it is for someone to choose one grade that fits what they experience. For example, while I never experienced strong electric shocks, I have experienced a feeling of tingling and/or prickling like a weak electric current, at the time that the Hum was the worst. (hell on earth, believe me) I could not say that the room was shaking, but felt slight vibrations in my chest and when lightly touching the table with my hand. Etc.

              So perhaps something like this:

              0- No Hum
              1- Faint Hum while lying down in quiet room, not disturbing.
              2- Moderate Hum while lying down, slightly disturbing sleep
              3- Stronger Hum with some pulses, causing some insomnia when trying to sleep, but not perceived when up and about or with background noise.
              4- Strong Hum with pulses, causing insomnia, fatigue, headaches, and may be perceived while up and about.
              5- Very strong Hum with very disturbing pulses, severe insomnia, exhaustion, chest pains, irregular heart beat, vibrations in room or body, feeling of prickling and/or tingling throughout body.

              Personally, I do not see the usefulness of the other scale you have on emotions, which are subjective to such a wide number of factors other than the Hum. Perhaps best left out? Just my thoughts. Hope this is helpful.

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Copsne <c_o_p_s_ne@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > 1 = No acute distress and feeling basically good. If you took special effort you might feel something unpleasant but not much.
              > >
              > > 0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue.
              > >
              > > I am thinking of having different colour markers on the global map indicating the levels of intensity.
              > > Your feedback here would be much appreciated.
              > >
              > > Dave
              > >
              > > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kohlhase <c_o_p_s_ne@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > In the name of research, those points away from population centers are as, if not more, informative for use in research to study any suspected source (s). The best is if the location is one that is isolated and many superfilous noise sources eliminated.Â

            • lidia1313
              Message 7 of 19 , Aug 9, 2012
                Hi, Dave,
                Shall I also leave my suggestions?
                First, there is no such thing as "non disturbing Hum", not at least for me. I would rather do the scale even simpler:
                I would not include "0-no hum", simply because this is not what we are looking for. The hum is always there, and can become really intimidating, especially when body vibrations are perceived not just as slight tingling but like electroshocks. So, the scale which I offer you to consider would be:
                1-Distant throbbing Hum and no vibrations in the body
                2-Loud Hum, more like a resonance, with or without vibrations in the body
                3-Aggressive rumbling Hum and strong body internal vibrations in some of the energy chakras or limbs, and room floor, bed etc.
                4-Hum not perceivable as sound but as infrasound with swishing in the ears, severe pressure in the temples, front lobe and crown, unbearable!

                It would be also nice to have the option of mapping the nearest base cell towers, TETRA, hydropower plants, power substations, rail tracks, wind turbine farms and gas pump stations... Just a thought,
                Good luck with the job, hope to see the fruits soon!
                Lidia, London

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "humupnorth" <humupnorth@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > 5 = Moderately upset, uncomfortable. Unpleasant feelings are still manageable with some effort.
                > > >
                > > > 4 = Somewhat upset to the point that you cannot easily ignore an unpleasant thought. You can handle it OK but don't feel good.
                > > >
                > > > 3 = Mildly upset. Worried, bothered to the point that you notice it.
                > > >
                > > > 2 = A little bit upset, but not noticeable unless you took care to pay attention to your feelings and then realize, "yes" there is something bothering me.
                > > >
                > > > 1 = No acute distress and feeling basically good. If you took special effort you might feel something unpleasant but not much.
                > > >
                > > > 0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue.
                > > >
                > > > I am thinking of having different colour markers on the global map indicating the levels of intensity.
                > > > Your feedback here would be much appreciated.

              • dave
                Message 8 of 19 , Aug 9, 2012
                  Thanks,

                  I think a smaller scale would be better as well. I'm keeping a list of suggestions and will have a think about them over the next week.

                  Message 9 of 19 , Aug 10, 2012
                    Lidia, thats pretty good.

                    On Aug 9, 2012, at 4:55 AM, "lidia1313" <lidia1313@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    > > > 5 = Moderately upset, uncomfortable. Unpleasant feelings are still manageable with some effort.
                    > > >
                    > > > 4 = Somewhat upset to the point that you cannot easily ignore an unpleasant thought. You can handle it OK but don't feel good.
                    > > >
                    > > > 3 = Mildly upset. Worried, bothered to the point that you notice it.
                    > > >
                    > > > 2 = A little bit upset, but not noticeable unless you took care to pay attention to your feelings and then realize, "yes" there is something bothering me.
                    > > >
                    > > > 1 = No acute distress and feeling basically good. If you took special effort you might feel something unpleasant but not much.
                    > > >
                    > > > 0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue.
                    > > >
                    > > > I am thinking of having different colour markers on the global map indicating the levels of intensity.
                    > > > Your feedback here would be much appreciated.

                    Recent Activity:
                    Posting Guidelines:

                    1.  The orientation of this forum is scientific, with everything that implies.  Reasoned and articulate criticism of ideas and theories is welcome.
                    2.  The following are not allowed:  personal attacks, gratuitous profanity, "kook" posts, and supernatural explanations.
                    3.  Limit posts to tho
                    Message 10 of 19 , Aug 10, 2012
                      Depending on the severity, water cup testing on things like hard surface, chest like furniture, bath tub structures visualiZes the in- step vibration patterns of the audible hum. You really have to work at this, but witout accelerometers for cibration monitoring, about the vest bovice test I have cone up with to provide non sensor/ skeptics that this is really occurring

                      .
                    • bernalites
                      Message 11 of 19 , Aug 22, 2012
                        HI,

                        It looks like you are creating what I am looking for...a hum map. I'm surprised one doesn't already exist. I'm really surprised that this phenomenon isn't being studied more, or perhaps it is and I'm just not finding the information.

                        I live in Marin county, just north of San Francisco. Today I heard the hum about 100 miles north on the coast where we were visiting (town of Gualala). On our way home we stopped in the town of Jenner where I could here the hum as well. Now back home in Mill Valley, I'm still hearing it.

                        There have got to be a lot of people hearing this all along the coast but I can't find any references to it by performing google searches.

                        Thank you for creating the map. Hopefully having something to track and mark where folks are hearing the hum will bring more awareness and attention to it and possibly some explanation as to the source.

                        I like the first scale, the "hum" scale best.

                        Regards,
                        Michael

                        Message 12 of 19 , Aug 23, 2012
                          My hum map updated as of April 2012 can be found in the forums "file" section. All points I come across posted since 2000, from many sites are included. Overlaid on the nations high pressure natural gas grid. Any point is plotted, and not contrived to prove my conclusion. I am sure there are many more I've missed. Certain areas like the Bay area I stopped because it is so bad there becoming one blob. Check out topix livermore hum blog

                        • dave
                          Message 13 of 19 , Aug 23, 2012
                            Thanks Steve, I'll try and import your data in the near future.

                            Good news! The site www.humtracker.com is up and running and awaiting observation data. Thanks to all who had suggestions about the scale.
                            There are a few things to iron out but for the most part it works OK.

                            Thanks again.

                            Dave

                            Message 14 of 19 , Aug 24, 2012
                              I will need to send you the database in excel. Do you want it in the files or directly to you

                              Yahoo! Groups
                              Switch to: Text-Only,
                            • dave
                              Message 15 of 19 , Aug 25, 2012
                                The files section should be OK.

                                Message 16 of 19 , Aug 27, 2012
                                  Just signed up. You are good. How can any of the bewildered internet searchers on hum, unexplained low frequency noise, etc., find this to populate with their location? And input