Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: Best Hum recording (not an audio simulation)

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2012
    Kevin, even with my equipment you can see the trend that teh upper floor have more intensity.  Outside though most active, no hum heard due to lack of structure to reasonant.

    Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2012
      Kevin,
       For whatever it's worth, in listening to the Windsor sound in the one video, I do feel that my hum sounds like that only very light, or low volume. The rumble is what I identify with most.
      Suzie

      Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
        May I just add my ' 2 penneth'? (as we say in England...)

        Years ago at the height of my difficulties with LFN, I borrowed a D.A.T. recorder,
        added pretty decent microphones ( not absolutely top quality, just good domestic ones):
         I recorded the noise easily, and it showed up fine on the playback :
        sounded exactly as it did in real life.
        A comfort therefore to find that there really was a noise,
         that could not be dismissed as tinnitus....
        I am told that a digital recorder can only pick up what is in the air....
        i.e., it has a good chance of making a fair representation of what is there.
        I compared 'Hum days' with 'no-Hum days', a clear difference.

        By the way, I don't think the so-called 'trumpets' are connected to Low Frequency noise,
        the general problem so many , especially here, speak of (the mystery hum like a lorry in the distance)...the 'trumpets' are clearly audible, or they have been added to an ordinary scene perhaps. Someone did a video saying that they had been taken from a film (?)...people do some silly things, they like to mess around and spread conspiracy theories....I don't take the 'trumpets' seriously. Have never heard them...
        I think this Hum pest is from installations of possibly many different kinds,
        there are too many people on the earth, and the world is getting busier and busier, no wonder there is background LFN....wish people could stop rushing around and not demand so much activity/energy, etc.
        I obviously don't KNOW, but I strongly suspect that the LFN/Hum problem is affecting more and more folks simply because of all that is going on : ever increasing industry, heavy machinery, loads of planes, heavy trains trundling around all the time, power stations, huge ship engines (the sea is getting so noisy that whales etc can't communicate properly, apparently).

        Has anyone taken sensitive recording equipment down into a deep quiet cave?
        I took a digital video camera down Wookey Hole Caves in Somerset, England,
        and it was the most profound silence I've ever heard. Above ground : Hum audible......
        too much human activity, too much noise generally....

        I hope soon  to edit my lengthy 'Information Pack',
        (this is a compilation of many points and observations over 25 years),
         and take up the offer to post it on a site in Seattle....
        It obviously can't give the  definitive answers to all this,
        ( how can it when brilliant scientists haven't solved it yet),
         but it may spark some ideas, I hope.

        Has anyone tried Noise Cancelling headphones?
        That might be a clue : if they can cancel the noise for the sufferer,
        that means there IS a noise there...

        Best Wishes to all sufferers.
        R.M.
        LFNSH.
        England.
        Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2013
          R.M.,
           Yes, there have been a few tha thave tried noise canceling headphones as well as ear plugs and shooting range head set, none worked to block the hum, sadly.

          Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2013
            In a message dated 07/02/2013 11:34:30 GMT Daylight Time, soozieqty1@... writes:
            R.M.,
             Yes, there have been a few tha thave tried noise canceling headphones as well as ear plugs and shooting range head set, none worked to block the hum, sadly.
            Hello,
            I have since had info from folks who have tried noise cancelling
            headphones, and they say they do help...worth a try anyway.
            We can't say "they don't work', as a general statement,
            if some people find they do....
            Best Wishes,
            R.M.,
            LFNSH, England