Re: Weird Weather Conditions.

  • goodears2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      Hi Veiled
      I believe you may have seen some sun dogs. I think they usually go away after the sun dips below the horizon, but maybe not in this case. Check out this page for some photos that show the variety in these sun reflections on ice crystals in the atmosphere. http://www.planetpals.com/weather_phenomena.html

      Hi Veiled.
      I wonder if some sun dogs were able to show up or persist after the sun dipped below the horizon. Here are a few nice pictures: http://www.planetpals.com/weather_phenomena.html
      Or maybe aureoles around a couple planets?
      http://www.atoptics.co.uk/tfarc.htm

      I don't notice a correlation between appearance of sun dogs (ice crystals in upper atmosphere are responsible) and the hum, though. We had great sun dogs on the day of the Transit of Venus.
      And yes, I do notice the hum gets quiet with low pressure when a storm rolls in. Sometimes, the hum returns right after (sigh).
      And as I've noted before, when it's really beastly hot, the hum goes away here, or nearly so, but with clearing/cooling/fair weather, it returns. Big sigh for this, too, because when it's miserably hot, I have AC and fans running (it's not that they just cover the hum), and I'd much rather enjoy the peace.

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "veiled.mystery" <veiled.mystery@...> wrote:

      > I don't know if this is Hum related or not, but i have been noticing some weird weather patterns recently.
      > A couple of weeks ago i commented to a friend that we had not had a Thunderstorm here in Sheffield for the past 3 years, since making that comment we have had 5 Thunderstorms in 2 weeks. Also, while the Thunderstorms are raging i can't hear the Hum at all even in the gaps between the Thunder claps which i always could before.
      > Also, i have noticed strange circles of light in the sky just after sunset before it's fully dark, they look like the moon shining through a thin veil of cloud, but it's not the moon as that is also clearly visible in a different position in the sky and there is always more than one of these circles, (last night there were 6 circles of light coming through the clouds to the North of my house with the moon clearly visible to the East), and again, while these circles of light are visible i can't hear the Hum, i normally hear it inside and outside 24/7, but there is just a very eerie silence, but as soon as it gets fully dark and the circles of light are no longer visible the Hum comes right back again.
      > Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

    • veiled.mystery
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
        Hi Goodears2,
        Thanks for the links,after looking at the pictures of the various types of weather phenomenon in the first link (http://www.planetpals.com/weather_phenomena.html)
        the one that looks most like the circles i saw is the one labelled as St. Elmo's Fire, i found the same picture on a different site and it says it is St. Elmo's Fire on the wing of a plane, but each time i see this there are 5 or 6 circles of light, so unless the St. Elmo's Fire is affecting the plane in more than one place, or there is more than one plane, it still does not really adequately explain what i am seeing because it says that St. Elmo's only ever appears where there is a lightning storm, but although we did have a lightning storm on some of those days we didn't have one on ALL of those days.
        I am fairly certain that you are right about it being just an unusual weather/natural phenomenon, Sun Dogs don't adequately explain it since it persists after Sunset and looks nothing like the Sun Dogs on that website, but neither does St. Elmo's Fire since that requires the air to be electrcally charged for it to exist which on some of those days it was but on some it wasn't.
        Thanks for the suggestions though.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
          A friend of mine use to tell me about St Elmos fire dancing on the nose of a G2 (yes thats awhile ago) then travelling right down inside the plane. Believe it or not!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2012
            Perhaps you should video these rings of light and post it to youtube or some other hosting place so that htis can be better documented. I have not seen anything similar here at all.
            Suzie

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012
              Hi Suzie,
              I would if i could but i don't have a camcorder now, and i have tried to record these things using my mobile phone but it doesn't have a good enough video app to be able to see them properly.
              I will check out Youtube and see if there is anything on there that resembles what i am seeing and if there is i will post a link on here.