Hum is less after earthquake

  • dannitrim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
      I live in Melbourne Australia and have been hearing the hum since November 2011.
      Last night we had a 5.3 magnitude earthquake whiich left me very shaken as I felt as if this was coming ever since I have been hearing the hum! I feel as if the hum has something to do with the earth as if it is the sound of the earth humming due to upcoming earthquakes, plate shifting?
      Weird as it sounds, after this earthquake the hum is not as loud to me as it was, I am still hearing it but it is much quieter.
    • Kevin Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
        I mentioned this earlier, but the "hum" in Denver comes and goes, with the pitch or frequency remaining the same, but the intensity or volume varying from almost non-existent to extremely obvious. One of the variations I remember? Hearing the hum increase by a large factor (much more noticeable than usual) one evening /  also the following morning. I usually keep my thoughts pretty much to myself about the "hum", but that particular evening / morning, the change was so great that I mentioned the increase to several people in my immediate circle. Two hours later, the large quake in Mexico City was all over the news....

        Connected?

        Just sayin'....

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
          Hmm, I find that very interesting. I live in an area that does not get many earth quakes. I too have thought it may be something shifting or changing within the earth!
          Suzie

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
            Great connection Kevin! This is making some sense. Confusing part to me is that my area almost never has earth quakes, it's extremely rare. Recently, a couple of years ago, an earth tremmor happened and shake my house for 30 seconds, the actual quake was hundreds of miles south, by St. Louis.  I was quite shaken but they did not feel it at all across the street. Maybe I am on a minor fault line?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2012
              I found an article awhile back how a geophysist from CA university was using the hum to track fault lines. Led me to postulate and study this relating to why the hum can be many miles away from the high pressure gas lines I've focused in on. Many articles on coal mines using fault seam propagation of sound waves to find coal deposits. So the eartquake thing must have some relation to this. Really need experts!

              Here in CT there are many ancient fault lines. Unbeknowst at the time I did measures 25 miles out and proofed the hum and its epicenter, i was paralelling a fault line. It also appears along the river that 2 lines cross under the is amplified and carries much further than on land.

              Geology plays a big role in the equation

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2012
                Hi to all,

                In East Texas we have recently suffered five quakes. The largest was a 5.0 and these occurred on a fault that is not very active. I've known about the various faults here for many years even if they rarely shake. They are well defined on oil field geology maps and a few have quaked many years ago. I wanted to study them as to whether lightning damage might differ on either side of the fault. The nearest fault is only 25 miles away and the recent quakes occurred around Timpson, Texas and that is 50 miles away.

                Regarding the posts about quakes and the Hum, I also chart major fires against Tides as measured at Galveston, Texas. I live 300 miles to the north but continents have tides also. There is a regular sinusoidal rise and fall in continental masses that matches tides in the oceans. The U. S. rises and falls 6-8 inches each day. Four of the earthquakes here occurred exactly at high tide and one occurred exactly at low tide. Don't get excited, there are more than 14,000 quakes in the world each year and I don't have the time or resources to chart even a few of the quakes in California or Alaska each day agaisnt tides.

                What I can tell you is that most major fires occur within an hour of high or low tide. I have been comparing the relationship for several years now and one of the walls of my office is covered in tide charts. There are as many incidents at low tide as there are at high tide. I will eventually compare my data against the inclination of the moon above and below the equator.

                The rise and fall of the continent is a steady up and down. I don't have any hypothesis as to how this would cause a Hum but vibrations might occur that are below the feeling threshold of most humans. Animals might feel this but I can't speak for them. Hum might be an auditory result of vibrations.

                Mark S. Jordan

                =