Re: New humling

  • mandypandie@y7mail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
      Hello new humlings,

      Myself I've been with this forum for over half a year or more, and from what I've read, and I may be incorrect, insulating a room can make the hum worse - there is more for the vibration to bounce up against I gather. Myself, I use a wee white noise machine or sound conditioner (day and night) called 'Sleepmate'. I also bought one that plays rain and thunderstorms and the like but I have to play it really loudly for a block out. Like you say, tv and radio don't muffle the hum, and the vibration in the head / body that I find goes along with the hum, unless you're really focusing on the tv for instance.

      A white noise machine is not the option for most people I gather. - I get the sense most people here put up with it and / or use the radio / music etc.

      Interesting how both you and your husband heard the hum at exactly the same time. I guess that's unusual. Often it seems one person in a household hears it whilst the other/s don't.

      I hope you find something that works for you. Let us know if you discover something new that works.

    • mandypandie@y7mail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
        PS And air conditioners and fans seem to be popular for noise control too!

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "marytje1" <marytje1@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I hear the hum from last summer. One day it just started and we both suddenly heard it. Like someone switched something on. We hear it day and night, in- and outside... We first lived in Belgium and even called the police cause we thought it was a pump or other device in the neighbourhood, but they laughed at us cause they couldn't hear a thing. And in november last year we moved to Sweden so we thought we were not going to hear it anymore. But on the trip to Sweden, we heard it everywhere, in Germany, Danmark and eventually Sweden so it is just everywhere... I often feel aggitated by it, but mostly I try not to let it get to me. I turn on the radio or tv (but mostly it doesn't help unless you 're focused on the tv or so).
        > But a few nights ago, when I woke up in the middle of the night, it was weird. Normally I hear a constant throbbing... hum..hum..hum.. like a diesel engine or a pump constantly... but now it went on for 20 seconds and then for just 1 tiny second it stopped and started again...several times after about 20 seconds it stopped again and that freaked me out. If it stops, it is not something natural and it surely is man-made... But that second it stopped felt so good and quiet. I hope someday it will stop completely or that I can find a place where I can't hear it cause I really would want to hear nature again instead of hum hum hum...
        >
        > Anyone have any tips on how to cover or insulate a room or so to block the hum?

      • marytje1
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2012
          Yes I have an airhumidifier and that helps indeed, as long as it's on I don't hear the hum but the moment I put it off it's there again. :S