Re: The Atantic Ocean and the hum?

  • f5obv
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2 12:04 PM
      It sounds like a drone, I can feel the pressure in my hear drum sometimes, a little like a diesel engine idling in the distance.
      I live in Pau (120 miles east of the Atlantic coast), the source, the location of the hum is definitely west from here: tonight a low pressure system is approaching, the wind direction is south, south east and I cannot hear the hum at all, what a relief! I'm sure that when the wind turns west, then I will hear it again. Sounds simple doesn't it? However : I've never heard the hum by the sea on the beach on the Atlantic coast, I've never heard it in Bordeaux which is a harbour north from here, and when I was in the US, I heard the hum only once when I was in San Francisco (if it was coming from the Pacific Ocean I would have heard it? if the hum was really coming from the Atlantic Ocean I should hear it when I go the beach or in Bordeaux, that puzzles me!
      One thing for sure, as far as I'm concerned, it propagates in the air and its propagation is affected by low and high pressure systems.
      All the best from the sunny Pyrenees;
      Jean-Marc

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2 3:35 PM
        I believe its Helene from Galway Ire. Recently a couple more on other sites from the same region

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2 3:36 PM
          Dave YOU are Right on!

          On Nov 2, 2011, at 3:12 PM, dave emmons <ddemmons5649@...> wrote:

          Cari:
          The sound of the Hum is like a diesel engine running in idle at a distance with a slight pulse.  Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it pulses more rapidly.  This is the most common observation I guess????  Dave

> [...]

          > It would be interesting if you tried to compare the intensity of the hum with the weather conditions (Low pressure, high pressure systems) in your area, this could help you find some possible source or I guess direction from where you live. If we put in common our experiences and findings, I guess we could figure out things or at least explore some hypotheses or clues, what do you think? Unless of course the hum comes from different sources. The Internet is a wonderful tool, we could share what we know and find out, the scientists will not take us seriously, unless of course they themselves can hear it, people around me have never taken me seriously when I tell them about the hum, and I gave up and lived with it, until I watched a report about the hum on CBS News (in 1993 I think) I realized that other people could hear it too!!!!

        • Cari
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3 10:38 PM
            Hello Dave - yes I have read about the characteristic diesel engine sound. I am confused if what I am hearing is really the hum. I dont relate it to a diesel engine / or fly in a bottle thing I have read of. It is more like a monotone bass drone that sometimes seems to have slower and othertimes faster beat - like bass sound coming from speakers all the time....sometimes I really feel it like a rumbling.

            Also different to some people I can hear it inside and out. but other features are very like the hum.....it has no obvious source or direction, it can be heard 8 km away from where I am now at the same volume . my husband seems to be able to hear it too if he really concentrates, but our friend who came to our house couldn't hear it at all.
            I hear it all the time since moving house here. Seems to be external since putting my fingers in my ear diminishes the sound, but I do sometimes doubt if it's my mind making it...

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, dave emmons <ddemmons5649@...> wrote:

            > Cari:
            > The sound of the Hum is like a diesel engine running in idle at a distance with
            > a slight pulse.  Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it pulses more rapidly.
            > This is the most common observation I guess????  Dave
            >

            > ________________________________

          • dave emmons
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 4 6:32 AM
              Cari:
              Monotone bassdrone could be close to a diesel engine.  Maybe where you live the atmospheric pressure changes the sound of the Hum.  Rain can change the sound of the Hum too because it is a low presuure.  Just depends on your weather and location how the droning sound will change.  Pulsations (or beat) changes for my Hum too in certain situations.  Some researchers claim if you can read the changes in pulses or volume you might be able to predict some earth change or even earthquake.  Storms can even be predicted with Hum changes.  Seems I come close to reading the Hum a week or so ago when I felt the Hum change in pulsations one night and the next day Turkey had an earthquake.  This I know will be jumped on by researchers - but it is an idea that might be true and not proven.

              My Hum Cari has no direction either - it is all over.....  I can hear the Hum in and outside too.  My Hum travels with me at least (so far) 40 something miles away.  From what I know it is external totally.  Never tried ear plugs but I don't think they will work 100% because I can feel it vibrate my feet and body.  Freinds and Family cannot hear my Hum either at my house and it totally baffles me....... Thanks for sharing Cari, Dave

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 4 3:02 PM
                At my home inside it the phenomena is 40 and 16 hz sounding like the typical reports. At my office 15 feet below grade the phenomena is more sensed, and much more intense. Freq there is more around 28 Hz. And at my office in the basement more just a monotone and feet vibration and overall body pressure distress. Both are from the same source, 15 miles aparr

                Yahoo! Groups
                Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest
              • goodears2
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 5 1:24 PM
                  My local hum is variable. Sometimes, it has the "wowing" of an engine sound. Sometimes it's very continuous. It does vary with weather, but not always. Fairly often, it gets quiet when low pressure systems/storms come in. Another pattern is that it can go away completely when it's beastly hot--and not just because air conditioning covers. Mine disappeared for weeks in July, which I think is like that for our friend en France. One constant for me is that it appears to me to be around the bass note D2, which is about 73 Hz. I hear it more loudly inside, but I sometimes it outside, too. Once, when it was all loud, it sounded like ET's folks were landing, but the people walking down my street looked oblivious. Usually, though, I don't hear it much outside, but I do in the car when the engine's off before I get outside. And, as for most people, it's most prominent at night. But lately, it's an all-day phenomenon.

                • dave emmons
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5 8:43 PM
                    cari:
                    Some people might hear the Hum differently according to elevation and temperatures at your location.  Sounds like you hear the Hum even if you describe it as being a bass sound Hum.  I hear it outside and in my car too when the engine is off.  Low pressure systems do dampen the sound a little but it is still a pain 24/7 right.....?

                    ymailto="mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com">humforum@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6 6:17 AM
                      Allot of similiarties from coast to coast

                    • helen gleeson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6 10:04 AM

                        Hum Very loud here on the west of ireland atlantic coast at moment....all week long...:(
                        Beautiful still autumn sun weather.... :)

                        CC: humforum@yahoogroups.com
                        To: humforum@yahoogroups.com

                        My local hum is variable. Sometimes, it has the "wowing" of an engine sound. Sometimes it's very continuous. It does vary with weather, but not always. Fairly often, it gets quiet when low pressure systems/storms come in. Another pattern is that it can go away completely when it's beastly hot--and not just because air conditioning covers. Mine disappeared for weeks in July, which I think is like that for our friend en France. One constant for me is that it appears to me to be around the bass note D2, which is about 73 Hz. I hear it more loudly inside, but I sometimes it outside, too. Once, when it was all loud, it sounded like ET's folks were landing, but the people walking down my street looked oblivious. Usually, though, I don't hear it much outside, but I do in the car when the engine's off before I get outside. And, as for most people, it's most prominent at night. But lately, it's an all-day phenomenon.

                        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cari" <cariwilson75@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Dave - yes I have read about the characteristic diesel engine sound. I am confused if what I am hearing is really the hum. I dont relate it to a diesel engine / or fly in a bottle thing I have read of. It is more like a monotone bass drone that sometimes seems to have slower and othertimes faster beat - like bass sound coming from speakers all the time....sometimes I really feel it like a rumbling.
                        >
                        > Also different to some people I can hear it inside and out. but other features are very like the hum.....it has no obvious source or direction, it can be heard 8 km away from where I am now at the same volume . my husband seems to be able to hear it too if he really concentrates, but our friend who came to our house couldn't hear it at all.
                        > I hear it all the time since moving house here. Seems to be external since putting my fingers in my ear diminishes the sound, but I do sometimes doubt if it's my mind making it...
                        >
                        > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, dave emmons <ddemmons5649@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Cari:
                        > > The sound of the Hum is like a diesel engine running in idle at a distance with
                        > > a slight pulse.  Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it pulses more rapidly.
                        > > This is the most common observation I guess????  Dave
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • dave emmons
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6 11:39 AM
                          Helen:
                          The Hum here in the Midwest (Illinois) has been loud in an up and down fashion.  The Hum also has different pulse timings lately (past few days).  Now it is faster and lower.  We have had small earthquakes in Oaklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas and could even feel it here in Illinois a little.  ??????  Connection???  Dave

                          To: humforum@yahoogroups.com

                          My local hum is variable. Sometimes, it has the "wowing" of an engine sound. Sometimes it's very continuous. It does vary with weather, but not always. Fairly often, it gets quiet when low pressure systems/storms come in. Another pattern is that it can go away completely when it's beastly hot--and not just because air conditioning covers. Mine disappeared for weeks in July, which I think is like that for our friend en France. One constant for me is that it appears to me to be around the bass note D2, which is about 73 Hz. I hear it more loudly inside, but I sometimes it outside, too. Once, when it was all loud, it sounded like ET's folks were landing, but the people walking down my street looked oblivious. Usually, though, I don't hear it much outside, but I do in the car when the engine's off before I get outside. And, as for most people, it's most prominent at night. But lately, it's an all-day phenomenon.

                          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cari" <cariwilson75@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Dave - yes I have read about the characteristic diesel engine sound. I am confused if what I am hearing is really the hum. I dont relate it to a diesel engine / or fly in a bottle thing I have read of. It is more like a monotone bass drone that sometimes seems to have slower and othertimes faster beat - like bass sound coming from speakers all the time....sometimes I really feel it like a rumbling.
                          >
                          > Also different to some people I can hear it inside and out. but other features are very like the hum.....it has no obvious source or direction, it can be heard 8 km away from where I am now at the same volume . my husband seems to be able to hear it too if he really concentrates, but our friend who came to our house couldn't hear it at all.
                          > I hear it all the time since moving house here. Seems to be external since putting my fingers in my ear diminishes the sound, but I do sometimes doubt if it's my mind making it...
                          >
                          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, dave emmons <ddemmons5649@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Cari:
                          > > The sound of the Hum is like a diesel engine running in idle at a distance with
                          > > a slight pulse.  Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it pulses more rapidly.
                          > > This is the most common observation I guess????  Dave
                          > >

                          > > ________________________________

                        • helen gleeson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6 6:44 PM
                            hi dave, it is 2.30 am here and i am...awake!!  Had to get up and reply on what you said as it is exactly as u say....tonight is a very loud (low bass) pulsating undulating rhythym...with no particular pattern....up and down as u say....faster and slower...stronger ane weaker almost....it follows me around as i walk about and i could even hear it during the day which i do not usually....i dont think i have heard it this way before...maybe one time about a year ago...yes, the earthquakes in oaklahoma happened the day after i was up all night recently with it bad and i beleive also there have been some rumblings in the uk...due to oil depletions from oil companies overdrilling these natural lubricants...!!
                            I think a lot of 'hummers' are gettng it bad at the moment!! helen

                            To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
                            From: ddemmons5649@...
                            Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:39:40 -0800

                            To: humforum@yahoogroups.com

                            My local hum is variable. Sometimes, it has the "wowing" of an engine sound. Sometimes it's very continuous. It does vary with weather, but not always. Fairly often, it gets quiet when low pressure systems/storms come in. Another pattern is that it can go away completely when it's beastly hot--and not just because air conditioning covers. Mine disappeared for weeks in July, which I think is like that for our friend en France. One constant for me is that it appears to me to be around the bass note D2, which is about 73 Hz. I hear it more loudly inside, but I sometimes it outside, too. Once, when it was all loud, it sounded like ET's folks were landing, but the people walking down my street looked oblivious. Usually, though, I don't hear it much outside, but I do in the car when the engine's off before I get outside. And, as for most people, it's most prominent at night. But lately, it's an all-day phenomenon.

                            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cari" <cariwilson75@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Dave - yes I have read about the characteristic diesel engine sound. I am confused if what I am hearing is really the hum. I dont relate it to a diesel engine / or fly in a bottle thing I have read of. It is more like a monotone bass drone that sometimes seems to have slower and othertimes faster beat - like bass sound coming from speakers all the time....sometimes I really feel it like a rumbling.
                            >
                            > Also different to some people I can hear it inside and out. but other features are very like the hum.....it has no obvious source or direction, it can be heard 8 km away from where I am now at the same volume . my husband seems to be able to hear it too if he really concentrates, but our friend who came to our house couldn't hear it at all.
                            > I hear it all the time since moving house here. Seems to be external since putting my fingers in my ear diminishes the sound, but I do sometimes doubt if it's my mind making it...
                            >
                            > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, dave emmons <ddemmons5649@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Cari:
                            > > The sound of the Hum is like a diesel engine running in idle at a distance with
                            > > a slight pulse.  Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it pulses more rapidly.
                            > > This is the most common observation I guess????  Dave
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________

                          • dave emmons
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7 6:10 AM

                              Helen:
                              Thanks for your feedback fellow Hum sufferer.  You make me feel less alone hearing the same thing I hear.  It is good to have others with you on a problem - thanks.  Helen, you need to get some white noise in your room like a fan in your bedroom.  You can get use to the fan after awhile.  You need your sleep.  I use a fan and won't sleep without it now.

                              The Hum has followed me at least 41 miles away from home so far.  Due to some places you go to that may have a lot of ambient noise you may not hear it.  My Hum has been changing during these 2 earthquakes in Oaklahoma the last 3 days - it sped up.....  Now it is raining and the Hum is loud still.  Most report that the Hum lessens during a low pressure or rain - not this Hum......

                              I heard an oli expert talk last night about the drilling and removing of oil from the ground and how it affects earthquakes.  This Scientist said that there is no correlation to oil removal and earthquakes happening.  Who knows who he is?  Could be working for the oil companies......  I don't know about that type of science of earth's environmental hazards.  We know we are't doing the earth any good by what we do.  Thanks, Dave

                              To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
                              From: ddemmons5649@...
                              Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:39:40 -0800

                              To: humforum@yahoogroups.com

                              My local hum is variable. Sometimes, it has the "wowing" of an engine sound. Sometimes it's very continuous. It does vary with weather, but not always. Fairly often, it gets quiet when low pressure systems/storms come in. Another pattern is that it can go away completely when it's beastly hot--and not just because air conditioning covers. Mine disappeared for weeks in July, which I think is like that for our friend en France. One constant for me is that it appears to me to be around the bass note D2, which is about 73 Hz. I hear it more loudly inside, but I sometimes it outside, too. Once, when it was all loud, it sounded like ET's folks were landing, but the people walking down my street looked oblivious. Usually, though, I don't hear it much outside, but I do in the car when the engine's off before I get outside. And, as for most people, it's most prominent at night. But lately, it's an all-day phenomenon.

                              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Cari" <cariwilson75@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Dave - yes I have read about the characteristic diesel engine sound. I am confused if what I am hearing is really the hum. I dont relate it to a diesel engine / or fly in a bottle thing I have read of. It is more like a monotone bass drone that sometimes seems to have slower and othertimes faster beat - like bass sound coming from speakers all the time....sometimes I really feel it like a rumbling.
                              >
                              > Also different to some people I can hear it inside and out. but other features are very like the hum.....it has no obvious source or direction, it can be heard 8 km away from where I am now at the same volume . my husband seems to be able to hear it too if he really concentrates, but our friend who came to our house couldn't hear it at all.
                              > I hear it all the time since moving house here. Seems to be external since putting my fingers in my ear diminishes the sound, but I do sometimes doubt if it's my mind making it...
                              >
                              > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, dave emmons <ddemmons5649@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Cari:
                              > > The sound of the Hum is like a diesel engine running in idle at a distance with
                              > > a slight pulse.  Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it pulses more rapidly.
                              > > This is the most common observation I guess????  Dave

                            • Cari
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 8 9:41 PM
                                Yes it's a big pain 24/7!! I don't know why but my mind seems incapable of tuning it out like it does other sounds...it's not really loud - just extremely irritating! I used to live in a house which was really silent - I had a habit of lying in bed enjoying listening to the nature sounds so I guess that's why it's even harder - it feels like a big loss....