Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: Gas Lines

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 20, 2011

      In a message dated 20/09/2011 13:12:03 GMT Daylight Time, c_o_p_s_ne@... writes:
      And if it is the gas lines causing the hum for me personally, and thus will be back next Winter to drive me nuts,
      Hi,
      Have you been to any gas pipes to listen, to see if they are making a noise?
      One would expect to hear it louder at source, would one not ?
      Try a stethoscope?
      I have listened to lots of gas pipes and never heard
      anything but  a  ( rather relaxing )  'hiss' sound.
      I would think it's more likely to be the compressor pumps
       making airborne noise, if it is anything to do with gas transmission.....
      Are you on any prescription drugs?
      There are apparently several that make hearing over-sensitive, and I am
      convinced now that that is what happened to me, between 1987 and 1994/5.
      I was 'caught' on Benzo-diazepines : awful things.
      Very easy to get addicted, either physically or psychologically.....
      worth researching....?
      best Wishes,
      R.M.,
      LFNSH,
      England.

    • mandypandie@y7mail.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 20, 2011
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tobypaws2002@... wrote:

        > Nope, not on any prescription drugs.
        I mentioned gas lines as in 'high pressure gas lines' in response to information posted about them here and on other forums by people who hear the same noise and who are attempting to understand where the noise is coming from. It's not gas pipes per se. The source? - Try and follow a noise that is ubiquitous, covering all the surrounding suburbs, neither louder nor softer in any direction. (And does not exist in some localities.)
        All the best

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 21, 2011
          Here in our CT, and tested elsewhere in NJ and PA- The gas lines may or may not be "hissing" and thats what most people think is the only pipeline noise.  Human pshysiology does not pick up directly hearing the effects of teh ILFN coming from these lines. It must be studied and measured using acoustic tools like FFT and octave analyzers.  Measured outside in teh open are multiple frequencies of high level LF sound waves, they are slightly attenuated inside the home and selectively "accentuated".   At low to mid level intensities no hum is apparent outside, at highest levels periods the hum may be heard outside faintly.  Where teh real impact is in structures, including cars.  Structures are excited into hum by the interaction of certain frequencies of teh ground born ILFN interacting with the  natural frequencies of teh structure and interior spaces (first floor second floor, etc).  Astonishingly recently, I have discovered, measured and had many witnesses that the HUM is far worse in a basement that is 20 feet below grade within 1/2 mile of 2 large bad acting gaslines, which pass my home 15 miles west of the basement location. Proofing even furhter that our problem is ground born.  Watch teh unsolved mysteries Taos Hum and note the sufferes comments inside a mine.

          Yes there are many reasons, but do not dismiss the gas lines acting independantly or in concert wiith soemthing else as the source, acting as a long linear radiator source of ground born LF and ILFN sound waves..  Thereby causing the illusive non directionality of teh hearing sense.  My data has proofed this out here, would be iontersted if any others have performed field work investigating this hypothesis.  I have not ever come across teh infamous UK study work on gas grids, if anybody has that please post.

          Thanks

          Steve

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 21, 2011
            The hum is a singularity

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 10, 2011
              In a message dated 21/09/2011 21:36:03 GMT Daylight Time, sandnella@... writes:
              The hum is a singularity

              It might be a single source in some areas, but I am convinced it
              (by "it", I mean the whole problem, not saying 'it' is one single thing...)
              is a combination of factors,
              many different sources, perhaps overlapping,
              and making a sort of invisible 'fog' of noise, that can probably travel miles.
              Air conditioner fans on the outsides of buildings,
              air extractor fans, ditto,
              trains, gas compressors, refridgeration depots,
              roads (heavy lorries often travel overnight to avoid the bulk of the traffic),
              generators, earth moving machines, bulldozers, etc.,
              cement driers, (I have been told they make a terrible rumbling,
               by a lady who identified her  LFN source);
               pumping stations of all sorts, crop drying machines,
              (a big culprit, just the kind of noise to make a LFN nuisance)
              tumble driers in houses, often they duct the hot steam out
              through a wall, and that takes the low frequency sound of the drier with it.....
              We must surely not be looking for a single cause.
              Of that I am convinced.
              Just for a moment,  imagine 2 or more  airborne sources,
              each sending out subtle LFN,
              each one barely audible by most people, and suppose they overlap?
              Could we not expect a slight increase in volume there ?
              Yes, possibly different frequencies, but you get the idea?
              A LFN source could possible send its noise many miles,
               but where it meets another equally subtle, barely audible source,
              maybe then there could be a rise in loudness?
                 To complicate matters, there are certain medical conditions that make hearing too sensitive,
              just like a hangover : ( "Too loud, man !") !
              M.E., fibromyalgia, are 2 that I have been told about by sufferers.....
              And then there are prescription drugs, certain ones make hearing super-sensitive,
              and that I am sure is why I heard 'The Hum'.
              It was there, because I did record it, and compared many recordings done in
              exactly the same way, with nothing moved :
              compared 'Hum' with 'No Hum' : the difference was quite obvious.
              The point was, most people didn't hear it, but I did because of the prescription drugs.
              Sad to say, everyone seems to be
               going round in circles, with this darned LFN problem;
              some sources are identified, but I suspect many people can never find a source or sources,
              so that leaves us with the necessity to either escape it,  find a way to live with it
              (not really possible, in my humble opinion, without serious help, e.g., hypnosis, which could possibly,
              by the way, help to make your poor suffering brain demote the noise in  its importance,
              so that it doesn't distress you so much: this is apparently used in tinnitus, with good results), or mask it.
              Subtle LFN might not do any physical harm, but the harm will come mainly from
               the stress and sleep loss it causes.

              Hope this helps.

              I went through it very badly for 7 years.

              It's like long-term 'torture', even though it's not being done deliberately.

              So sorry for all who are still suffering .

              Rosemarie.
              ' LFNS Help',
              England.
            • Margaret
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 13, 2011
                I don't think the hum is caused only by LFN from gas lines.  Unless there are different hums with different sources, in different locations, gas lines cannot be the sole cause of the hum.

                The reason? I hear the hum and all our domestic gas and petroleum is brought in by tanker. There are no gas lines within at least 80km south, 150 kms west over the mountain range and 400+ kms north of where I live.
                Maggie Australia

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tobypaws2002@... wrote:

                > is a combination of factors, many different sources, perhaps overlapping, and making a sort of invisible 'fog' > of noise, that can probably travel miles.
                > Air conditioner fans on the outsides of buildings, air extractor fans, ditto,  trains, gas compressors, >refridgeration depots,  roads (heavy lorries often travel overnight to avoid the bulk of the  traffic), generators, >earth moving machines, bulldozers, etc., cement driers, (I have been told they make a terrible rumbling, by > >lady who identified her LFN source); pumping stations of all sorts, crop drying machines, (a big culprit, just the kind of noise to make a LFN nuisance) tumble driers in houses, often they duct the hot steam out
                > through a wall, and that takes the low frequency sound of the drier with it.....

                > Rosemarie.
                > ' LFNS Help',
                > England.

              • Margaret
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 13, 2011
                  Gas lines might not be the only source of hum.  Have a look at message 5943.

                  Towards the end, the poster describes an adjustment made to gas transmission lines that didn't eradicate the hum but caused some of the nastier symptoms to disappear.  Mart made some great contributions to the forum.  In another message he rationalises why the hum is unlikely be a number of commonly suspected sources.   Maggie Australia
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 14, 2011
                    Maggie is correct!  check on preliminary findings from windsor essex canada.  So far they feel they've pinpointed an industrial complex....

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 11, 2012
                      I haven't posted lately however I am collecting data on the hum since it started for me in November 2011. I live about 1/8 mile from one of the main gas lines running north from the Gulf of Mexico through Northwest Alabama which then heads to the Northeast. What I would like is a link to any data you all might have concerning your experiences with the gas companies as I have not contacted them yet and I would like to be somewhat prepared before that attempt. Some observations: This hum can be attenuated by the 207 Hertz tone generator. The only way you can mask it is for something such as a passing truck a fan or refrigerator or in my case the hood over the stove (all these items will mask the hum somewhat as they approach or slightly exceed the 207 tone) No walls or any structures can stop it (or any noise cancelling headphones (save your money)) I attempt to sleep most nights with a MP3 player with the 207 tone in a loop mode set on just loud enough to stop the booming vibrations which is the only control I have over this beast which is the best option I've got until we nail the folks responsible. I've been keeping records of it's intensity since November and have made some interesting notes. There is one day per month that it is completely silent usually between the 20th and the 26th of the month. I have come to value those rare days and if I can get the gas companies data on flow rates/pump status or other data and get a significant flow reduction on the same days that I don't hear the hum over the course of a year then I can safely say the gas lines are the likely culprit. I assume the gas companies are doing maintenance at that time. Also I've noticed while out on a body of water the sound is not noticeable however when I get back on land especially in the Hollow where I live it's much more noticeable. The gas lines cross through the same rock strata (flint/limestone) that a corner of my house sits on. But I'm rambling so any data on the gas companies would be appreciated.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
                        Your observations fit mine. Interestingly the intensity at a landing on the Housatonic river that 2 of 3 lines cross has high in car hum. And from some limited survey along the same river the in car hum seems higher that aways off the river.  The car reasonates with hum( noise and bottom feet/ floor tub vibration)  from the same ground surface sound waves just like dwellings. So its great as a mobile acoustic lab for doinf field work.
                        There is a Family in NC that filed a hum complaint to their congressman and they are very near where major high pressure gasline opertional changes occurred, just prior to the problem. FERC and the gas companies here are very informed about this diaster going on.

                        Last day or two here hum is at very low level. It'll kick up when weather demand for gas kicks in

                        Contact me at c_o_p_s_ne@... and I'll share as much as you can bear to listen to.

                        Steve from CT

                        On Sep 11, 2012, at 11:38 PM, "florencenoise" <florencenoise@...> wrote:

[...]

                        =
                      • Stefanie Schaefer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
                          Dear all,

                          just a reminder of the Massey University study in Auckland NZ in 2006 by Tom Moir.
                          Please see below the article which mentions the possibility of gas pipes too.

                          Hope this helps.
                          Stefanie

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
                            Does Tom participate or follow on this forum?

                            just a reminder of the Massey University study in Auckland NZ in 2006 by Tom Moir.
                            Please see below the article which mentions the possibility of gas pipes too.

                            http://list.audiofoundation.org.nz/pipermail/af_list-audiofoundation.org.nz/2006-October/001789.html

                            Hope this helps.
                            Stefanie

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
                              Hi Steve,

                              I am not sure and I don't know how much interest he still has in the subject.
                              Do you think we should invite him or at least make him aware of it?
                              Has he never appeared on the forum or has been mentioned before?

                              Regards
                              Stefanie

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 13, 2012
                                Hi all

                                I live in Iceland and hear The Hum. There are no gas pipes in my country (no trains either). Of course I'm not sure if we are hearing exactly the same thing but gas pipes are definitely not the source here.

                                All the best, Gunna

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                                    You have a hydrogen economy in Iceland, and expanding.  I would think there are pipelines moving it from one place to another.  But because I know nothing how they operate, I only mention this for you to check out.  Also, my data efforts are focusing on the US because that's where I am and that's where I have to puruse the matter with athourities and researchers.  Is you symptoms that of the sound of a low frequency idling diesel engine?  Do you feel tingly vibrations at times on your lower legs whn standing on floors where the hum is occurring?

                                    --- In mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com, Stefanie Schaefer <stoffel0808@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Steve,
                                    >
                                    > I am not sure and I don't know how much interest he still has in the subject.
                                    > Do you think we should invite him or at least make him aware of it?
                                    > Has he never appeared on the forum or has been mentioned before?
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > Stefanie
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • gunnalara
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 15, 2012
                                      I hear a hum very similar to what other people here describe yes. And yes the houses here in Iceland are mostly heated with geothermal water but not in my area. On the peninsula where I live the houses are heated with electricity and the only pipes leading to my house are those bringing the cold water and of course the electricity wires. Due to bad weather the whole peninsula was out of electricity for 24 hours last winter and that didn't change The Hum. I also hear it just as loud in wilderness areas nearby where there are no pipes or lines whatsoever, just lava fields. Of course we know that LF waves can travel long distances and that is probably why it is so difficult to find the source.

                                      Good luck with your research and bringing the attention of your authorities.

                                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kohlhase <c_o_p_s_ne@...> wrote:

                                      > You have a hydrogen economy in Iceland, and expanding.  I would think there are pipelines moving it from one place to another.  But because I know nothing how they operate, I only mention this for you to check out.  Also, my data efforts are focusing on the US because that's where I am and that's where I have to puruse the matter with athourities and researchers.  Is you symptoms that of the sound of a low frequency idling diesel engine?  Do you feel tingly vibrations at times on your lower legs whn standing on floors where the hum is occurring?

                                    • humupnorth
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 16, 2012
                                        Hello Gunnalara,

                                        Interesting to hear from folks like you from less industrialized areas, because there's a better possibility of pinpointed the cause of the Hum, or at least eliminating what cannot be causing it because it simply isn't around. Let's compare notes! I'm from north-west Canada in a small quiet town, not far from a geological fault zone. Isn't Iceland right on top of a fault zone?

                                        Can you tell us how your hum sounds or feels like? Do you have any guess about what might be causing the Hum in your area? For example did the onset coincide with any new infrastructure such as new microwave towers? Are there others in your area who experience the Hum? Do you use wireless devices in your home? Etc.

                                        I know of at least one other person in my area who experienced the Hum. For me it began suddenly end of December 2010. Was terribly intense in the first half of 2011, starting in the evenings until late mornings. Milder now, with peaks every now and then which seem to coincide with earthquakes. For me, the Hum `sounds' like an idling truck. But to this day, I'm not sure whether it is low pitch sound or vibrations that I'm experiencing. It is worse when I'm in a horizontal position, or near fluorescent lights. At the worse times, I got feelings of tingling or prickling like a very mild electric current flowing through my body.

                                        The worse Hum has been in my apartment, which is in a building full of various wireless systems at multi levels from other tenants, who move in and out from time to time. Interestingly, I don't get the Hum at work (1 km distance from home) where there is one wireless connection, and where I have often worked late in the quiet evenings. I've even thought of sneaking a much needed night of sleep there during bad Hum periods of insomnia at home! Not actually done it though. But I understand how desperate one can get.

                                        HumUpNorth / north-west Canada