New Member - the Vashon Island Hum

  • photodh
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi,
      It's late at night and I'm up again with that darned hum. I live near Vashon Island in Washington State. THis is another Hum hotspot in the US.

      First time I heard the Hum was the first night we spent here in this area, when we bought a home near the water, in an area near Vashon Island. I thought it was a truck idling... but it was persistent. No one else seemed to hear this. We lived in that house for over a year, and the Hum was omnipresent. When we went on trips, the Hum went away. When I travelled to other parts of town, no Hum.

      We bought another house in the area, but down the hill, and voia! No Hum! It was wonderful! And moved again nearby, no Hum! Alas, we moved again back to the old area we started in and it's worse than ever. The Hum in this area appears to be centered in the Vashon Island area, West Seattle, and the higher elevation of Gig Harbor. BTW, there is a submarine base less than 30 miles from us, and uses the channel between the island/west seattle/gig harbor.

      The sound is worst when the windows are closed, and when I'm in my car in this area. There have been a few times when it's been so bad that others have heard it, but it's basically my problem. I mostly hear it in one ear. It's a low vibration that is only stopped by completely pushing that ear closed, or cupping over the ear. I was so elated when a relative visiting the other day said that she couldn't sleep because of a low vibrating sound that kept her from even putting her head on the pillow on either side because it made it worse. even though I read these posts, I know that it still feels as if it's all in my head sometimes.

      The sound seems to come on around 11:30pm most nights, and often goes for days and days. I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with the submarine base, as I never hear the sound anywhere else, no matter how quiet it is where I'm visiting. The other weird thing, which makes me wonder if it's more of a radar/air thing, is that when the last shuttle was set to launch, the Hum stopped completely a few hours before the launch. Then it stayed off for a few days until the Shuttle finally did launch after delays. Then it came back on. Then.. a few hours before the Shuttle landed, the Hum disappeared again.. it was quiet until the Shuttle touched ground again. Also, it tends to disappear on National Holidays around here. Oh, and this area is also home to several military bases, including an airfield. Or could it be part of the HAARP project???

      Whatever it is, I don't know how I can live with this much longer. We can't move again for a while, and I'm tired of this constant vrrrrrm vrrrrm vrrrm in my ear. I find myself going with the sound, do you guys do that? this can't be healthy.

      Thanks for reading this. I feel better just writing it out. Do google Vashon Hum for more info. the news outlets did a big story on it in 2010 because the sound got suddenly worse, and more people heard it.
    • Dolive2
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        I am in Texas, and have been hearing the same thing for months. Always worse at night. I have searched for hours on the internet trying to find some answers. I believe HAARP may be the cause or possibly EMF from cell phone towers/wifi.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
          I wonder how many of us do our searches in the middle of the night, when the sound is keeping us up? I am strongly leaning toward this being a man-made sound, as it turns on and of so abruptly, and that thing with the Shuttle was really telling. I remember saying to my husband that the sound disappeared before the Shuttle launch, then came back on once it was out of our atmosphere, and that I would pay attention to when it landed, to see if it turned off during that period, and it did. That leads me to believe it's HAARP or some other wide-scale atmospheric project. Perhaps the work might disrupt communications during launch and reentry?

          Truly, the only thing to do with the Hum, is to move away. I relish my vacations and driving out of the immediate area where it's bad. I've noticed that when I return from being away, it takes a little while for the vibration of the Hum to get to my ear. I'm convinced that because it is worse indoors, with the windows closed, that the frequency is mirco-rattling the windows, and then the eardrums. If this was all in our head, then pushing the ear closed would make it louder, AND ear plugs don't work on it because the vibration still hits the eardrum. And it only affects one of my ears, which must be sensitive.

          Do you have others in your area that have heard or felt this? It's a terrible feeling at first to be the only one in your circle who has. I'm grateful for the internet, so I don't feel completely strange.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
            Check the hum map I have posted in the file section. You may change your mind on the cause. C.o.p.s ne map hum vs gaslines usa

            On Sep 1, 2011, at 1:40 PM, "photodh" <photodh@...> wrote:

            I wonder how many of us do our searches in the middle of the night, when the sound is keeping us up? I am strongly leaning toward this being a man-made sound, as it turns on and of so abruptly, and that thing with the Shuttle was really telling. I remember saying to my husband that the sound disappeared before the Shuttle launch, then came back on once it was out of our atmosphere, and that I would pay attention to when it landed, to see if it turned off during that period, and it did. That leads me to believe it's HAARP or some other wide-scale atmospheric project. Perhaps the work might disrupt communications during launch and reentry?

            Truly, the only thing to do with the Hum, is to move away. I relish my vacations and driving out of the immediate area where it's bad. I've noticed that when I return from being away, it takes a little while for the vibration of the Hum to get to my ear. I'm convinced that because it is worse indoors, with the windows closed, that the frequency is mirco-rattling the windows, and then the eardrums. If this was all in our head, then pushing the ear closed would make it louder, AND ear plugs don't work on it because the vibration still hits the eardrum. And it only affects one of my ears, which must be sensitive.

            Do you have others in your area that have heard or felt this? It's a terrible feeling at first to be the only one in your circle who has. I'm grateful for the internet, so I don't feel completely strange.

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Dolive2" <oliver_delores@...> wrote:

            > I am in Texas, and have been hearing the same thing for months. Always worse at night. I have searched for hours on the internet trying to find some answers. I believe HAARP may be the cause or possibly EMF from cell phone towers/wifi.

          • JAZ :)
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
              I'm just amazed at how many people now tell exactly the same story is ALL parts of the country.  Steve are there any numbers compiled?
              JAZ in McIntosh, FL

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
                Well heres a little story. When it became apparent ferc, epa, regulators etc wanted nothing to do with the truth i started deeper study at attorneys suggestion to understand how outside our area this might be occurring. In researching ground sound wave travel first complaint post i stumbled onto was a guy from sunnyvale ca in jan 2010. Short of it, that hum appears on same line that blew in san bruno 10 months later. Reported the "coincidence" to ferc, phmsa and ntsb. Who knows if they took seriously. After that the deep dive into as many sites as possible, engaging for location info. At this point globally tens of thousands. US based  maybe 50%. Keeping study within reasonable time constraints to USA ( follow non usa thou) i have hard copy usa locations that people say their location of about 500 currently. See last gas map hum locations in the yahoo hum forum file section

                There are now some active groups protesting a number of issues about gas development in ny that i gladdly shared the map with. Our little groups goal is correction of problems with gas trabsmission in our area and the real concerns of the lack of attention and study that constant exposure over time is causing to our well being, health and frankly the effects on the ecosystem. Even suggesting the occurances of the strange bee, bat , bird, shore beachings, long island sound lobster decline, etc where these high pressure lines are radiating high levels of ILFN - infrasound low freq noise. It really warrants serious investigation from the findings we have so far. How these lines are generating is complex and requires the industry and govt to admit a potentially serious problem and study it, soon

                You can understand our frustration. They need to prove me wrong for this campaign to stop