Article on Hum

  • celestial_4m
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2011
      A new hum  article...?
    • Margaret
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
        Thanks for the article. It's one of the best overviews of the hum I've read. It's objective, good quotes, not sensationalised. It's maybe something you could give to people who haven't experienced the hum themselves. It's a pity it comes from a paranormal website though. I noticed some of the reader responses to the recent Woodlands article were highly derogatory, labeling hum hearers as crackpots, loonies and conspiracy nuts.

        I have fairly strong feelings about how to talk about the hum to non hearers, especially professionals.

        I hope I don't sound preachy but I think it's imperative that we are seen as credible. Which means forget UFO's, forget conspiracies, stick to what's believable when talking to others no matter what your personal beliefs are. For me this means only suggesting possible sources that people would find easy to believe. As you say celestial 'if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.' So it seems to me that most people can believe those more ordinary explanations like the proliferation of technology, and subsequent increase in LFN and EM fields or something to do with the physiology of aging and/or medical treatments. So I tend to restrict it to those three possibilities with a big 'I don't know" around all of them and that seems to be enough for most people to find me credible.

        I defend against the LF tinnitus idea though. In 2004 when i joined this forum, the only literature about low frequency tinnitus, was that it did occur but was extremely rare. The 'extremely rare' seems to have morphed into something much more common. I, for one, don't believe it has.

        Regards Maggie
        Australia

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "celestial_4m" <celestial_4m@...> wrote:

        > A new hum
        > <http://www.suite101.com/content/unexplained-hum-reported-worldwide-a377\
        > 010> article...?

      • celestial_4m
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2011
          Yes, the article was meant to be "objective" and the truth is...the editor refused to put it in any other category but paranormal - despite the fact that the writer begged,pleaded and cajoled her to make it a science article. None of the sources, you'll note, are from paranormal sites either. I've said this before but I'll repeat the fact that I find it interesting when people who don't hear this and haven't experienced it insist that it must be hocus pocus! Kills me!

          As an aside, since I'm here, the other night we had a community-wide power failure. I've been waiting for this for months so that I could see if the sound could still be heard...and...it was still there, even with a full power failure in the neighbourhood. It wasn't loud anyway the other night but it still sounded exactly the same. This confirms that at least in my hood, it isn't something mechanical or electrical. Now, I'm thinking pipeline, water or underground stream or something like that...

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret" <coatesmargaret@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the article. It's one of the best overviews of the hum I've read. It's objective, good quotes, not sensationalised. It's maybe something you could give to people who haven't experienced the hum themselves. It's a pity it comes from a paranormal website though. I noticed some of the reader responses to the recent Woodlands article were highly derogatory, labeling hum hearers as crackpots, loonies and conspiracy nuts.
          >
          > I have fairly strong feelings about how to talk about the hum to non hearers, especially professionals.
          >
          > I hope I don't sound preachy but I think it's imperative that we are seen as credible. Which means forget UFO's, forget conspiracies, stick to what's believable when talking to others no matter what your personal beliefs are. For me this means only suggesting possible sources that people would find easy to believe. As you say celestial 'if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.' So it seems to me that most people can believe those more ordinary explanations like the proliferation of technology, and subsequent increase in LFN and EM fields or something to do with the physiology of aging and/or medical treatments. So I tend to restrict it to those three possibilities with a big 'I don't know" around all of them and that seems to be enough for most people to find me credible.
          >
          > I defend against the LF tinnitus idea though. In 2004 when i joined this forum, the only literature about low frequency tinnitus, was that it did occur but was extremely rare. The 'extremely rare' seems to have morphed into something much more common. I, for one, don't believe it has.
          >
          > Regards Maggie
          > Australia
          >

          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "celestial_4m" <celestial_4m@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A new hum
          > > <http://www.suite101.com/content/unexplained-hum-reported-worldwide-a377\
          > > 010> article...?

        • goodears2
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2011
            Celestial, just a note, power out doesn't mean power out for everyone. Some businesses, such as food markets and warehouses, must generate power--in that case to keep food from spoiling. They have large HVAC and refrigeration systems that keep humming.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2011
              Also electric motor driven gas compressors are ALWAYs ready for this with emergency generators. Also the compressors can be way far from the outage area

              Sent from Steve's iPhone