Re: HUM_FORUM: Sanity

  • Lesley Fellows
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
      That's true.  But until there ARE answers and we are in the 'we told you so' position, you have to find a way to live with it.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 10 Mar 2011, at 22:54, "mikeascot" <mikeascot@...> wrote:

      But why should we have to put up with it. It is obviously due to aspects of modern society. I would gladly go back to a pre-industrial state for the sake of a good nights sleep. I am thinking of volunteering for a job in africa or somewhere but I know the chinese are moving in fast and it won't be long before a pastoral existence is impossible anywhere on the planet. Human beings were not designed for this type of existence. The relentless advance of technology is making people ill. We should at least have the option to live without it or be able to get a holiday from it. It is everywhere I go.

    • andrea
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
        Mike,

        I am in the same place as you, as are probably nearly all the people here. Unfortunately we are not equipped with apparently any solid information that could lead us to an answer.

        I moved into the country last summer to see if I could get away from it. I live in BFE and i hear it more now. Maybe because there is so little ambient noise? I just don't know.

        I used to only hear it in my bedroom at night, and now it's everywhere. Am I going Mad? I wonder that too. We probably all have at some point.

        I know that for many people white noise machines work for them, but for me they keep awake as much as the HUM.

        I'm sorry for what you're going through. I guess at least you know you're not alone.

        Andrea in NC

        On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM, mikeascot <mikeascot@...> wrote:

        But why should we have to put up with it. It is obviously due to aspects of modern society. I would gladly go back to a pre-industrial state for the sake of a good nights sleep. I am thinking of volunteering for a job in africa or somewhere but I know the chinese are moving in fast and it won't be long before a pastoral existence is impossible anywhere on the planet. Human beings were not designed for this type of existence. The relentless advance of technology is making people ill. We should at least have the option to live without it or be able to get a holiday from it. It is everywhere I go.

      • Tom Becker
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
          > ... It is obviously due to aspects of modern society...

          Disagree. There is nothing obvious about The Hum, unfortunately.
          Despite reading and considering most every message presented here, and
          some material research, this engineer is not lead much beyond a few
          inferences, let alone to any obvious conclusion. We can't blame us, yet.

          Tom
          Cape Coral
        • Steve K
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
            Mike take a deep breath, regardless of what the various theories are as the cause, there are tens of thousands of people suffering, industrialized countries, it's not you by yourself. I agree with others you need to try the noise cancellation, noise masking route. I haven't given in yet as I am building my theory and unfortuneately trying to stay in tune with the understanding of it (HUM). I understand from a neighbor that there are headphones that MIGHT work. Simple as going to Best Buy or something like that. Another poster (Lesley) is workng the environemental authories, we in Connecticut are working our Congressman. Keep a focus that others are gearing this up. The problem seems to becoming more sensed here in the USA.

            Where are you experieincing this stuff?

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, andrea <savingtess@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            >
            > I am in the same place as you, as are probably nearly all the people here.
            > Unfortunately we are not equipped with apparently any solid information that
            > could lead us to an answer.
            >
            > I moved into the country last summer to see if I could get away from it. I
            > live in BFE and i hear it more now. Maybe because there is so little ambient
            > noise? I just don't know.
            >
            > I used to only hear it in my bedroom at night, and now it's everywhere. Am I
            > going Mad? I wonder that too. We probably all have at some point.
            >
            > I know that for many people white noise machines work for them, but for me
            > they keep awake as much as the HUM.
            >
            > I'm sorry for what you're going through. I guess at least you know you're
            > not alone.
            >
            > Andrea in NC
            >

            > On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM, mikeascot <mikeascot@...> wrote:
            >

            > > But why should we have to put up with it. It is obviously due to aspects of
            > > modern society. I would gladly go back to a pre-industrial state for the
            > > sake of a good nights sleep. I am thinking of volunteering for a job in
            > > africa or somewhere but I know the chinese are moving in fast and it won't
            > > be long before a pastoral existence is impossible anywhere on the planet.
            > > Human beings were not designed for this type of existence. The relentless
            > > advance of technology is making people ill. We should at least have the
            > > option to live without it or be able to get a holiday from it. It is
            > > everywhere I go.

          • william zvarick
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
              Mike I've posted this before on several occasions, but try an ocean surf CD. It's got a lot of high white noise but some nice low rumbling random noise that at least for me cancels out the hum beautifully. Plus, how nice to sleep next to the (virtual) ocean! I wouldn't bet the farm on anyone "fixing" it. Perhaps some part of the coping involves acceptance.

              William
              Baltimore, MD

              On Mar 10, 2011, at 4:54 PM, mikeascot wrote:

              The Hum stopped me getting to sleep at nights. I told my doctor about it. He gave me tablets, they stopped working. I had a breakdown and they sectioned me and gave me anti-psychotics. I still here it and I still do not sleep. Whatever it is I wish somebody will fix it. I can't go on like this.

            • Margaret
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                Reading your post Mike, I remember how dreadful it was to first hear the hum and I sympathise with what you are going through.  Like you, I reached the edge of my sanity.

                We shouldn't have to put up with it, there should be options, places to live where it isn't. But that isn't the current reality.  Steve and Lesley and others are doing great work and that's increasing awareness of the hum.  But I doubt anyone out there is going to switch it off  any time soon.  Which throws it right back onto each of us and what we can do to help ourselves and each other.   What I did was when I became aware of the hum, night or day, I switched on masking noise:  music, white noise, the fan, the air conditioner, TV, the fish tank, conversation, went down to the beach where the roar of the sea drowned it out. Anything that made noise that was more pleasant to listen to than the hum, I used. I reckoned that the less I heard it, the less I'd listen for it.  I found it was about me controlling my mind and not letting my mind control me and that's hard and disciplined work.

                Every time you mask it and manage to take your awareness off it, you give yourself a bit of respite and a positive message that you're not powerless.  It's not much to offer but perhaps it helps a little.

                I hope you find some peace from it and that knowing you are not alone is some consolation too. Regards Maggie

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mikeascot" <mikeascot@...> wrote:

                > But why should we have to put up with it. It is obviously due to aspects of modern society. I would gladly go back to a pre-industrial state for the sake of a good nights sleep. I am thinking of volunteering for a job in africa or somewhere but I know the chinese are moving in fast and it won't be long before a pastoral existence is impossible anywhere on the planet. Human beings were not designed for this type of existence. The relentless advance of technology is making people ill. We should at least have the option to live without it or be able to get a holiday from it. It is everywhere I go.

              • Donna Few
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 12, 2011
                  Hi Tom,
                  I agree this phenomenon is rather elusive.  I believe it is multifactorial, primarily related to the earth's natural electromagnetic fields and man made sources of that energy, and in combination they have created an imbalance ( over abundance) in nature.  This imbalance, in my view, is expediting a process of earth deterioration; some of us (e.g. hum sufferers) can actually sense the electromagnetic imbalance through our sensory mechanisms.  Those who don't consciously sense it, probably soak in more of it then we do and develop medical symptoms, with no idea of ever being exposed to this harmful energy force.

                  The electric company sent out information, a notice encouraging people to unplug their appliances when not in use to help preserve the environment, of course that includes humans who are subjects of and subject to environmental health.  Some people believe the use of fuels is the only energy related threat to earth's health; well we know better.

                  Donna

                  > ... It is obviously due to aspects of modern society...

                  Disagree.  There is nothing obvious about The Hum, unfortunately.
                  Despite reading and considering most every message presented here, and
                  some material research, this engineer is not lead much beyond a few
                  inferences, let alone to any obvious conclusion.  We can't blame us, yet.

                  Tom
                  Cape Coral

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      humforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      humforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • mikeascot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 13, 2011
                    I have tried various masking techniques - signal generator 40Hz + 40.5Hz when really bad, computer fans when moderate but it still comes through. I am in UK so no idea if US hum is the same although Taos recording comes pretty close.

                    Why are you quoting site rules at me?