Re: Re: HUM_FORUM: Hum in Marietta, GA (And hello from new member)

  • wzvarick@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 5, 2011
      Donna, I read at least one account (not on this forum) of a guy who moved to Hawaii and didn't hear the hum - at first. After several months, viola! The hum followed him there. Also the Baltimore region has no mountains, only a hill here and there, and certainly no volcanoes, extinct or otherwise, but I hear a robust hum everywhere in this area, from Washington DC to southeast Pennsylvania. It seems like a common phenomenon for hum hearers to look for a pattern, but then exceptions abound.

      Feb 5, 2011 01:42:03 PM, humforum@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Nancy et al,
      I'm surprised, and yet not, to hear that the hum may be more prevalent in Volcanic regions.  Surprised, because I read somewhere that it had not been heard in Hawaii.  Not surprised because in my own view, I had guessed that it would be heard mostly in mountainous regions, especially in the Valleys surrounded by mountains.

      Hey, everybody check out a poem which references mankind's connection with the energy forces of our universe.  See poem "Destiny," at fewforeverwords.wordpress.com.

      Donna

      From: robertbl23
      To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 2:01 PM

      Hello Everyone,

      I'm new to the forum. Glad to find y'all. I'd like to learn if there are other Marietta, GA hum hearers, and what people have done that seems to help with hums in general. Thanks.

      Also I'm curious, do most hum hearers have exceptional hearing?

      I've heard the hum in my Marietta neighborhood for approx 5 years, but I lived in my house years prior with no hum. My family members do not hear the hum or are uncertain. I recently put in new windows to combat the disturbance, so this hum has cost me $5k so far. I do not know the source or geographical extent.

      Here are the details:

      1.) It's a constant low frequency pitch but varies in volume by the second.
      2.) Most of the time it is before and just after rainy weather. But not always.
      3.) Weeks will go by with no hum.
      4.) The hum does not correspond to distant traffic, or any kind of source I can recognize. It couldn't even be someone's stereo or entertainment center because the pitch is constant and lasts for days.
      5.) The hum is not louder near the storm drains on the street, or any part of my house.
      6.) I hear it nowhere else except home, it's louder from the North, it's quieter in my basement, earplugs help a little bit, and I can hear it in my yard but it's lost in ambient noise.

      There was a Southeast earthquake magnitude 4.9 in 2003. Could I be hearing the fault line? Well, if anyone has any info or knows who I should talk to, I'd sure appreciate the help.

      Thanks,
      Robert B.

    • c_o_p_s_ne@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 5, 2011
        John Locke reported from Austell. Looks SE of Atlanta

      • c_o_p_s_ne@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 5, 2011
          I actually thought the same. As a kid we use to fly on Lockheed Electra's and I remember watching our flight come into Missoula MT while we were visiting and the sound from it was very simialr to the in house and when hearable, outside HUM. Amazing how perceptions of it are so similar.

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, william zvarick <wzvarick@...> wrote:

          > Robert, my hearing is normal but I'm pretty sensitive to sounds in
          > general. I hear the hum just about all the time if I listen for it. I
          > hear it everywhere I've been for the past two years. It started up
          > suddenly one night. What helps is white noise at night, which cancels
          > it out well for me. There is no volcanic activity whatsoever in
          > Maryland. As you read through the archives you'll find most of us
          > experience this thing in a remarkably similar way. Nancy actually
          > prop planes in the distance is a pretty good description.
          >
          > William
          > Baltimore, Maryland
          >

          > On Feb 4, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Nancy Carre wrote:
          >

          > > Hi Robert,
          > > You are describing pretty much what I hear, in New Mexico. It's
          > > deep, it is sometimes loud and sometimes faint, to me it sounds like
          > > prop planes in the distance, it fluctuates every second or so to an
          > > ever so slightly higher pitch, and I hear it the loudest in certain
          > > parts of my house or when I am outside and the ambient noise is
          > > reduced (no wind etc). I live in a very remote place.
          > > I read somewhere that it is louder in volcanic regions. This area is
          > > actually quite volcanic, so it might be related?
          > > Nancy

        • JD
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 5, 2011
            Was: Re: HUM_FORUM: Hum in Marietta, GA (And hello from new member)

            --- At 06:40 AM 05, 05 02 2011, Lesley Fellows wrote:

            >I'm not in an active volcanic region, however, there are three volcanic plugs in the vicinity. I also live on a very flat plain between mountains/hills. Personally, however, I still believe the Hum is manmade.

            These tunnel boring machines should cause "manmade" vibrations:

            Google Images: -- Air Force Tunnel Boring Machine

            http://www.google.com/images?q=%22Air+Force+Tunnel+Boring+Machine%22

            JD

          • goodears2
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 6, 2011
              Hi Robert

              You mentioned you installed new windows in your house.

              A previous poster noted others have said that double-glazed windows might make the situation worse, but from what I can gather from sites on soundproofing, I would think it might actually help. (My understanding of acoustics is limited, though.)

              Did installing new windows change the hum for you? Did it get better, worse, or stay the same?

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "robertbl23" <ripsnerk@...> wrote:

              > Hello Everyone,
              >
              > I'm new to the forum. Glad to find y'all. I'd like to learn if there are other Marietta, GA hum hearers, and what people have done that seems to help with hums in general. Thanks.
              >
              > Also I'm curious, do most hum hearers have exceptional hearing?
              >
              > I've heard the hum in my Marietta neighborhood for approx 5 years, but I lived in my house years prior with no hum. My family members do not hear the hum or are uncertain. I recently put in new windows to combat the disturbance, so this hum has cost me $5k so far. I do not know the source or geographical extent.
              >
              > Here are the details:
              >
              > 1.) It's a constant low frequency pitch but varies in volume by the second.
              > 2.) Most of the time it is before and just after rainy weather. But not always.
              > 3.) Weeks will go by with no hum.
              > 4.) The hum does not correspond to distant traffic, or any kind of source I can recognize. It couldn't even be someone's stereo or entertainment center because the pitch is constant and lasts for days.
              > 5.) The hum is not louder near the storm drains on the street, or any part of my house.
              > 6.) I hear it nowhere else except home, it's louder from the North, it's quieter in my basement, earplugs help a little bit, and I can hear it in my yard but it's lost in ambient noise.
              >
              > There was a Southeast earthquake magnitude 4.9 in 2003. Could I be hearing the fault line? Well, if anyone has any info or knows who I should talk to, I'd sure appreciate the help.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Robert B.

            • JD
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 6, 2011
                Also see:

                "Tunnel Boring Machine" - 23,100 results

                http://www.google.com/images?q=%22Tunnel+Boring+Machine%22

                tunnel boring machine - 75,800 results

                http://www.google.com/images?q=tunnel+boring+machine

                tunnel borer - 344,000 results

                http://www.google.com/images?q=tunnel+borer

                --- At 04:17 PM 05, 05 02 2011, JD wrote:

                >These tunnel boring machines should cause "manmade" vibrations:
                >

                >Google Images: -- Air Force Tunnel Boring Machine [ - 140 results ]
                >
                >http://www.google.com/images?q=%22Air+Force+Tunnel+Boring+Machine%22
                >

                >JD

              • william zvarick
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 6, 2011
                  From what I've heard others say, the hum is typically more pronounced  in enclosed spaces - i.e. buildings. I hear the hum in my cat (with motor off) as soon as my windows are rolled up. This seems to be the case for most hum hearers. Therefore double-glazed windows, by reinforcing the enclosure, might possibly make the hum worse?

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Feb 6, 2011, at 3:09 PM, "goodears2" <goodears2@...> wrote:

                  Hi Robert

                  You mentioned you installed new windows in your house.

                  A previous poster noted others have said that double-glazed windows might make the situation worse, but from what I can gather from sites on soundproofing, I would think it might actually help. (My understanding of acoustics is limited, though.)

                  Did installing new windows change the hum for you? Did it get better, worse, or stay the same?

                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "robertbl23" <ripsnerk@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Everyone,
                  >
                  > I'm new to the forum. Glad to find y'all. I'd like to learn if there are other Marietta, GA hum hearers, and what people have done that seems to help with hums in general. Thanks.
                  >
                  > Also I'm curious, do most hum hearers have exceptional hearing?
                  >
                  > I've heard the hum in my Marietta neighborhood for approx 5 years, but I lived in my house years prior with no hum. My family members do not hear the hum or are uncertain. I recently put in new windows to combat the disturbance, so this hum has cost me $5k so far. I do not know the source or geographical extent.
                  >
                  > Here are the details:
                  >
                  > 1.) It's a constant low frequency pitch but varies in volume by the second.
                  > 2.) Most of the time it is before and just after rainy weather. But not always.
                  > 3.) Weeks will go by with no hum.
                  > 4.) The hum does not correspond to distant traffic, or any kind of source I can recognize. It couldn't even be someone's stereo or entertainment center because the pitch is constant and lasts for days.
                  > 5.) The hum is not louder near the storm drains on the street, or any part of my house.
                  > 6.) I hear it nowhere else except home, it's louder from the North, it's quieter in my basement, earplugs help a little bit, and I can hear it in my yard but it's lost in ambient noise.
                  >
                  > There was a Southeast earthquake magnitude 4.9 in 2003. Could I be hearing the fault line? Well, if anyone has any info or knows who I should talk to, I'd sure appreciate the help.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Robert B.

                • Jerry Cummings
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 6, 2011
                    I had very high hopes that all new windows (the "hurricane proof" double pane, etc) would alleviate, if not stop the hum. No way - it is now worse it has created more of living inside a drum effect. Some times it's very unbearable.
                    Florida Panhandle

                    At 02:09 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:

                    Hi Robert

                    You mentioned you installed new windows in your house.

                    A previous poster noted others have said that double-glazed windows might make the situation worse, but from what I can gather from sites on soundproofing, I would think it might actually help. (My understanding of acoustics is limited, though.)

                    Did installing new windows change the hum for you? Did it get better, worse, or stay the same?

                    --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "robertbl23" <ripsnerk@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Everyone,
                    >
                    > I'm new to the forum. Glad to find y'all. I'd like to learn if there are other Marietta, GA hum hearers, and what people have done that seems to help with hums in general. Thanks.
                    >
                    > Also I'm curious, do most hum hearers have exceptional hearing?
                    >
                    > I've heard the hum in my Marietta neighborhood for approx 5 years, but I lived in my house years prior with no hum. My family members do not hear the hum or are uncertain. I recently put in new windows to combat the disturbance, so this hum has cost me $5k so far. I do not know the source or geographical extent.
                    >
                    > Here are the details:
                    >
                    > 1.) It's a constant low frequency pitch but varies in volume by the second.
                    > 2.) Most of the time it is before and just after rainy weather. But not always.
                    > 3.) Weeks will go by with no hum.
                    > 4.) The hum does not correspond to distant traffic, or any kind of source I can recognize. It couldn't even be someone's stereo or entertainment center because the pitch is constant and lasts for days.
                    > 5.) The hum is not louder near the storm drains on the street, or any part of my house.
                    > 6.) I hear it nowhere else except home, it's louder from the North, it's quieter in my basement, earplugs help a little bit, and I can hear it in my yard but it's lost in ambient noise.
                    >
                    > There was a Southeast earthquake magnitude 4.9 in 2003. Could I be hearing the fault line? Well, if anyone has any info or knows who I should talk to, I'd sure appreciate the help.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Robert B.

                    Ecclesiastes 10:2

                    "It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe

                  • Carole C
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 6, 2011

                      The theory was that the double-glazing acts as a low pass filter, allowing low frequency noise through while filtering out higher frequencies.  Thus, the low frequency "hum" would sound louder inside, whereas it might be masked by the ambient noise outside.  Here's the webpage that has more information...

                      Of course that doesn't explain the hum Arne and others typically hear outside and away from noisy "civilization".  I think that many of us are hearing different things, and IMO the original "hum" still remains unexplained.

                      Carole

                        From: c_o_p_s_ne@... <c_o_p_s_ne@...>
                        Subject: Re: Hum in Marietta, GA (And hello from new member)
                        To: "pictoblu" <pictoblu@...>
                        Date: Saturday, February 5, 2011, 3:41 PM

                        By any chance are you closer to Rockdale County, thanteh center of Stone Mountain.  The reason I ask is Transco (Williams Pipeline) has 4 humumgous lines that cut thru the bottom of Dekalb then go up thru Rockadale cty.

                      • JD
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 6, 2011
                          Here's two short videos of the "earth shaking" Tunnel Boring Machines:

                          youTube:

                          Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) in action in Kuala Lumpur

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41vzLjwZqM

                          tbm Tunnel boring Machine - making a train tunnel in switzerland

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHrI3HFMDg

                          JD

                          Note: - the following are "Google Images" - see 100s of pictures with a single click:

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 7, 2011
                            Ok thanks.  Geology and other factors must play a role in the transmission of LFN in the ground.  But even in your case, if your up around Tucker, Doraville or Dunwoody there are gas and pumped liquid lines.

                            Has anyone ever measured LFN or sound from the compression of the minerals?

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 7, 2011
                              Yes, we have gas stove, heat, and water heater here. However, up in North GA, have friends in subdivision that have no gas lines whatsoever. Really bad hum up there. They have high voltage power lines.

                              The tunnel boring machines are seriously interesting. Have read that all the mil bases around here (Dobbins, McPhearson, & Gillem) and also all of the mountains, specifically Stone Mountain and Kennessaw Mountain are all connected via tunnels. Also that there are underground mil bases under the 2 afore mentioned mountains. Has got to be lots of noise and vibrations when they use those ugly machines to bore out whatever they bore out. And if indeed there are tunnels connecting all mil bases and under mountains, when drilling around here, could cause all kinds of reverb that could be carried via mineral veins. Just in itself the drilling should make serious "noise" even if no conduit via the qtz and so forth.

                              All speculation, of course.  I have to return to the hypothesis of many contributing factors to the Hum today. No one source for all.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 7, 2011
                                There's a whole community of folks who are experimenting with earthquake prediction based on "sounds" they
                                believe are precursors to earthquakes. Their belief is that the sounds come from stress on rocks...
                                Apparently they're hearing something, but I don't know what, and I don't know if what they hear actually comes
                                from compression of rock. They do seem to have some limited success in earthquake prediction, though.

                                I've wondered for some time if the hum we hear could be coming from such a source.

                                Carole

                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                  What town are they in. Agreed numerous sources and one has to focus on one at a time to work the discovery process. The fact of tunnels presents anorher mechanism to channel whatever lfn source there is, to great distances away from source. PS we have no gas in my area, but we are "blessed" with 3 huge HP lines

                                  Sent from Steve's iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                    Fort Gillem and Fort MacPherson are both in Forest Park which is southwest Atlanta, and Dobbins ARB is in Marietta. Are these the "they" that you are asking about? And then Kennesaw Mtn. is north of Dobbins, in Kennesaw. You know where Stone Mtn. is, right?

                                    What map are you using to locate the pipelines? Is it in the public domain? Seems like it would be considered "censored" due to "national Security".

                                    What town are they in. Agreed numerous sources and one has to focus on one at a time to work the discovery process. The fact of tunnels presents anorher mechanism to channel whatever lfn source there is, to great distances away from source. PS we have no gas in my area, but we are "blessed" with 3 huge HP lines

                                  • robertbl23
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                      Hi Goodears and everyone,

                                      Thank you all for the feedback. Sorry for my lack of response, I had a problem accessing my account. From what I've read so far from the group, it seems that knowledge about the HUM in my area is fragmentary and speculative. I've definitely heard the HUM in Marietta for > 3 years. Definitely prior to Sept. 2009 as c_o_p_s_ne mentioned.

                                      Regarding the new windows: they were installed early January 2011, so not a lot of time to really evaluate. BUT, so far it seems to be helping. I did hear the HUM one afternoon, but it was faint. Haven't heard it again. And we've had rain which is almost always accompanied by the HUM. The windows definitely help with street noise. So I've got my fingers crossed that this trend continues.

                                      Thanks,
                                      -Robert

                                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "goodears2" <goodears2@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Robert
                                      >
                                      > You mentioned you installed new windows in your house.
                                      >
                                      > A previous poster noted others have said that double-glazed windows might make the situation worse, but from what I can gather from sites on soundproofing, I would think it might actually help. (My understanding of acoustics is limited, though.)
                                      >
                                      > Did installing new windows change the hum for you? Did it get better, worse, or stay the same?
                                      >
                                      > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "robertbl23" <ripsnerk@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hello Everyone,
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm new to the forum. Glad to find y'all. I'd like to learn if there are other Marietta, GA hum hearers, and what people have done that seems to help with hums in general. Thanks.
                                      > >
                                      > > Also I'm curious, do most hum hearers have exceptional hearing?
                                      > >
                                      > > I've heard the hum in my Marietta neighborhood for approx 5 years, but I lived in my house years prior with no hum. My family members do not hear the hum or are uncertain. I recently put in new windows to combat the disturbance, so this hum has cost me $5k so far. I do not know the source or geographical extent.
                                      > >
                                      > > Here are the details:
                                      > >
                                      > > 1.) It's a constant low frequency pitch but varies in volume by the second.
                                      > > 2.) Most of the time it is before and just after rainy weather. But not always.
                                      > > 3.) Weeks will go by with no hum.
                                      > > 4.) The hum does not correspond to distant traffic, or any kind of source I can recognize. It couldn't even be someone's stereo or entertainment center because the pitch is constant and lasts for days.
                                      > > 5.) The hum is not louder near the storm drains on the street, or any part of my house.
                                      > > 6.) I hear it nowhere else except home, it's louder from the North, it's quieter in my basement, earplugs help a little bit, and I can hear it in my yard but it's lost in ambient noise.
                                      > >
                                      > > There was a Southeast earthquake magnitude 4.9 in 2003. Could I be hearing the fault line? Well, if anyone has any info or knows who I should talk to, I'd sure appreciate the help.
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Robert B.

                                    • JD
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                        Robert,

                                        I've read that some double-glazed windows will include a coating that blocks microwaves. Do your windows have any coating, or tinting, or anything at all (besides glass), that may have reduced the "ubiquitous microwave" intensity indoors?

                                        JD

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                          Here you go...

                                          http://www.npms.phmsa.dot.gov/PublicViewer/

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                            Keep in mind, changes in operations to exisitng systems is the thought why old systems start mis behaving. Of course new systems may start up right from the get go and mis behave. Some systems getting abandoned may quiet down (not ours, they cranked these babies up). Then the whole mechanism of new geology. Believe me. I'm no expert on geology, but could be one piece of the puzzle why for certain areas the sound appears many, many miles from pipeline routes.

                                            It is not only gas, there are many high horsepower pumped liquid (propane, oil, etc) systems, like in Southern Pines NC, where I've experienced it outside golfing.

                                            The expalnations behind why snow, wet ground, putting your head over, etc, need expertise and study to answer.

                                            I am a believer in the numerous source theory. So what works for us, may not in your case.

> [...]
                                            > > >
                                            > > > 1.) It's a constant low frequency pitch but varies in volume by the second.
                                            > > > 2.) Most of the time it is before and just after rainy weather. But not always.
                                            > > > 3.) Weeks will go by with no hum.
                                            > > > 4.) The hum does not correspond to distant traffic, or any kind of source I can recognize. It couldn't even be someone's stereo or entertainment center because the pitch is constant and lasts for days.
                                            > > > 5.) The hum is not louder near the storm drains on the street, or any part of my house.
                                            > > > 6.) I hear it nowhere else except home, it's louder from the North, it's quieter in my basement, earplugs help a little bit, and I can hear it in my yard but it's lost in ambient noise.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > There was a Southeast earthquake magnitude 4.9 in 2003. Could I be hearing the fault line? Well, if anyone has any info or knows who I should talk to, I'd sure appreciate the help.

                                          • Pictoblu
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 8, 2011
                                              Super. Thanks!