Environmental Health Officer

  • lesley951617
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2011
      I'm trying again to get my local officer on board. I'm still an 'open case'. (To Environmental Health :p)

      I've asked him if he can find out exactly when the digital TV signal came online in this area. My hum started in or around August 2008 and has continued without variation or fluctuation since. He does seem interested rather than hostile although he can't hear my hum. Another two people in my street can, and others have heard when they visit. I think it would be interesting to visit each others homes and compare hums.
    • mack_colin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2011
        lesley951617 are you and the other two people in your street middle aged, as thats when most hum suffers tend to start hearing the hum.

        Also for your info, the hum was there before digital television, but if you can get the health officer on board, then maybe he will do 'sound and energy field' tests in your street.

        Cheers Colin Mack, Middle aged from Scotland.
      • Lesley Fellows
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2011
          I'm in my forties as is one of the neighbours but the other was a young man in his twenties.  I'm aware that people have reported the hum prior to the digital signal but I believe this may have strengthened the hum making it audible to more people.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 9 Jan 2011, at 00:42, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

          lesley951617 are you and the other two people in your street middle aged, as thats when most hum suffers tend to start hearing the hum.

          Also for your info, the hum was there before digital television, but if you can get the health officer on board, then maybe he will do 'sound and energy field' tests in your street.

          Cheers Colin Mack, Middle aged from Scotland.

        • andrea

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
              >-- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, andrea <savingtess@...> wrote:
              > Hey guys - I'm 36 and started to hear this 3 years ago, nearly 4 now.

              Yes, thats why I said 'most' rather than 'all' people, but from statistics it seem most hear it at middle age.

              The same goes for 'most' people hearing the hum indoors but not oudoors, like myself, but there again, some people who the more sensitive. will hear it outside too.

              Mind you. this is one of the best tests we have to know if a person is suffering the 'hum' rather than tinitus, as all they have to do, and this is most dramatic to first time hum sufferers, is to just step outside and the noise stops and then step inside and its back, in, out, in, out, its a really crazy concept when you think about it.

              Cheers Colin mack, Scotland.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
                In a message dated 08/01/2011 23:12:50 GMT Standard Time, lesley_f@... writes:

                I'm trying again to get my local officer on board. I'm still an 'open case'. (To Environmental Health :p)

                I've asked him if he can find out exactly when the digital TV signal came online in this area. My hum started in or around August 2008 and has continued without variation or fluctuation since. He does seem interested rather than hostile although he can't hear my hum. Another two people in my street can, and others have heard when they visit. I think it would be interesting to visit each others homes and compare hums.

                Hi, Just to say, if you can get co-operation to measure, press them to use the C of G weightiong, so as to get a better idea of what is there.
                I have it on very good authority that the usual A Weighting is
                inadequate for measuring LFN, and if they do use 'A', then
                 they are likely to report to you that it is not loud enough
                 to do anything about....easy way of
                'solving' the problem, and that leaves you on your own to cope.
                So please try to 'gen up' on the weightings thing, and
                then you can press them to make a good reading, one that tells you what is really there.
                This info comes originally from Prof Geoff Leventhall , a well repected U.K. scientist,
                and Dr Hazel Guest, of UKNA.
                Best Wishes,
                R.M.,
                LFNS Helpline.
              • Lesley Fellows

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
                    RM, you are absolutely correct. The culprits hide behind A weighting. Even FERC. So part of the battle here in the US is geting agencies advanced as much as UK and other countires are. The problem is all they want to do is say noise meets regualtion, and we know this is improper for ILFN.

                    We have used the large delta betwen a and c to get attention about LFN problems. I use linear for the FFT. I am no expert but the data over a year has almost 100% repeatablity for tracking and anlyzing HUM annoyance level and frequency charaterisitcs and SPL intensity.

                    --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tobypaws2002@... wrote:

                    > lesley_f@... writes:
                    >
                    > I'm trying again to get my local officer on board. I'm still an 'open
                    > case'. (To Environmental Health :p)
                    >
                    > I've asked him if he can find out exactly when the digital TV signal came
                    > online in this area. My hum started in or around August 2008 and has
                    > continued without variation or fluctuation since. He does seem interested rather
                    > than hostile although he can't hear my hum. Another two people in my street
                    > can, and others have heard when they visit. I think it would be
                    > interesting to visit each others homes and compare hums.
                    >

                    > Hi, Just to say, if you can get co-operation to measure, press them to use
                    > the C of G weightiong, so as to get a better idea of what is there.
                    > I have it on very good authority that the usual A Weighting is
                    > inadequate for measuring LFN, and if they do use 'A', then
                    > they are likely to report to you that it is not loud enough
                    > to do anything about....easy way of
                    > 'solving' the problem, and that leaves you on your own to cope.
                    > So please try to 'gen up' on the weightings thing, and
                    > then you can press them to make a good reading, one that tells you what is
                    > really there.
                    > This info comes originally from Prof Geoff Leventhall , a well repected
                    > U.K. scientist,
                    > and Dr Hazel Guest, of UKNA.
                    > Best Wishes,
                    > R.M.,
                    > LFNS Helpline.

                  • sugarpineinc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 17, 2011
                      Can't believe after a 4 year absence that Mack is still saying all or most people who hear the hum are older when there were plenty reports of teens hearing it, etc. If it's mostly old ears then there probably isn't a hum, just an old ears problem.
                      Hi old Hum friends with older and young ears! I've been listening to the radio 24/7 for 4 years! Patty CA/US

                      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

                      > >-- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, andrea <savingtess@> wrote:
                      > > Hey guys - I'm 36 and started to hear this 3 years ago, nearly 4 now.
                      >

                      > Yes, thats why I said 'most' rather than 'all' people, but from statistics it seem most hear it at middle age.
                      >
                      > The same goes for 'most' people hearing the hum indoors but not oudoors, like myself, but there again, some people who the more sensitive. will hear it outside too.
                      >
                      > Mind you. this is one of the best tests we have to know if a person is suffering the 'hum' rather than tinitus, as all they have to do, and this is most dramatic to first time hum sufferers, is to just step outside and the noise stops and then step inside and its back, in, out, in, out, its a really crazy concept when you think about it.
                      >
                      > Cheers Colin mack, Scotland.

                    • andrea
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 17, 2011
                        I was 32 when I first started hearing it.

                      • william zvarick
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 17, 2011
                          From the few statistics that have been gathered that I've seen, it seems to be a bell curve. In such a distribution there are by definition those who fall on either side of the top of the bell as it slopes down, the top of the bell being late 40's/early 50's. I started hearing the hum at 49, 2 and a half years ago so I'm smack dab in the middle. It happened suddenly one night so i can only assume something internal in my physiology or my energy field or who knows what changed. I think I can take most peoples' word for it when they say it sounds clearly external, even given a bell curve distribution with most people being "older". So yes, plenty of young 'uns, just more older. But who knows, maybe the stats are bad, or maybe the hum is changing. So many variables, so little data, and therefore so many opinions. Ah, life on the hum forum . . .

                          William
                          Baltimore md

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Jan 18, 2011, at 12:40 AM, "sugarpineinc" <sugarpineinc@...> wrote:

                          Can't believe after a 4 year absence that Mack is still saying all or most people who hear the hum are older when there were plenty reports of teens hearing it, etc. If it's mostly old ears then there probably isn't a hum, just an old ears problem.
                          Hi old Hum friends with older and young ears! I've been listening to the radio 24/7 for 4 years! Patty CA/US

                          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

                          > >-- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, andrea <savingtess@> wrote:
                          > > Hey guys - I'm 36 and started to hear this 3 years ago, nearly 4 now.
                          >

                          > Yes, thats why I said 'most' rather than 'all' people, but from statistics it seem most hear it at middle age.
                          >
                          > The same goes for 'most' people hearing the hum indoors but not oudoors, like myself, but there again, some people who the more sensitive. will hear it outside too.
                          >
                          > Mind you. this is one of the best tests we have to know if a person is suffering the 'hum' rather than tinitus, as all they have to do, and this is most dramatic to first time hum sufferers, is to just step outside and the noise stops and then step inside and its back, in, out, in, out, its a really crazy concept when you think about it.
                          >
                          > Cheers Colin mack, Scotland.

                        • Donna Few
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 31, 2011
                            Hey Guys/Gals,

                            There was a teen on my old street who could hear it.  My young son didn't hear it in our home, but did in my friend's house a few blocks away.

                            Donna

                            Can't believe after a 4 year absence that Mack is still saying all or most people who hear the hum are older when there were plenty reports of teens hearing it, etc. If it's mostly old ears then there probably isn't a hum, just an old ears problem.
                            Hi old Hum friends with older and young ears! I've been listening to the radio 24/7 for 4 years! Patty CA/US

                            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

                            > >-- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, andrea <savingtess@> wrote:
                            > > Hey guys - I'm 36 and started to hear this 3 years ago, nearly 4 now.
                            >

                            > Yes, thats why I said 'most' rather than 'all' people, but from statistics it seem most hear it at middle age.
                            >
                            > The same goes for 'most' people hearing the hum indoors but not oudoors, like myself, but there again, some people who the more sensitive. will hear it outside too.
                            >
                            > Mind you. this is one of the best tests we have to know if a person is suffering the 'hum' rather than tinitus, as all they have to do, and this is most dramatic to first time hum sufferers, is to just step outside and the noise stops and then step inside and its back, in, out, in, out, its a really crazy concept when you think about it.
                            >
                            > Cheers Colin mack, Scotland.

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                humforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                humforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • patty94@ymail.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Donna Few <profitzzzz@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Guys/Gals,
                              >
                              > There was a teen on my old street who could hear it. My young son didn't hear
                              > it in our home, but did in my friend's house a few blocks away.
                              >

                              > Donna
                              >
                              >Hi Donna and All; Donna, how are you doing? With Patty from CA/US and another lady (please look back, that makes three of you in California. Maybe your all close enough to get together and check out if it's the same hum that is being heard, (just an idea).
                              When I first heard the hum I was only about 37,I only heard it outside and only once in a while. I actually only did hear it outside until the fall of 2003. Then I started to hear it inside and outside. That's when it started to bug me. Thats when they put up our new microwave towers.

                              Patty

                            • Donna Few
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                                Hi Patty,
                                I'm ok, just finished up some work.  Good to hear from you.  Well, your experience with hearing hum outside first is different from most.  I'll tell you what, ever since the hum struck my old house, I hear a lot of humming mechanisms outside and everywhere else that I would have been able to block out of my attention to some degree before my hum experience.  After the hum, we can become even more conscious of extraneous noise than before.  But I'm coping with the world and its noises; I still use my blocking devices even after moving.

                                Donna