Aren't there any controllable sources?/ Hum in NE Ohio

  • goodears2
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2010
      I've been hearing what I know think may be "the Hum" in Cuyahoga county in NE Ohio. I did not hear it elsewhere, and it seemed to localize to the area of a building with heating/cooling equipment close to my home. It seems to conduct well through solids. For example, head down on the pillow, unfortunately, makes things worse.

      I have since heard a similar sound, however, in S. Ohio and in Germany.

      I hope to:

      -get in touch with anyone else in NE Ohio who hears this

      -try to get the sound controlled at the source if it can be

      -get feedback from anyone who can advise on the most effective ways to cut the noise. (I often have to run both a ceiling fan and an air cleaner in the bedroom to be able to sleep, but they're not very effective and noisy themselves.)

      Also, I wonder if forum members think this explanation is a legitimate one. This article,which I just ran onto, about the journal article in Geophysical Research Letters isn't terribly clear.

      http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Source-of-Earth-039-s-039-Hum-039-Finally-Discovered-118738.shtml
    • andrea
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2010
        I think the only thing I know for certain since joining this group, not too long ago, is that people from all over the world here it, whether they live in city center's or like me, out in the boondocks. It's really a fascinating mystery, even if it's a horrid thing to have going all day and night.