thought i was going mad

  • dasraiser
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
      so i live in the uk, isle of wight and i too hear the "hum",
      to me it sounds like a car on tick over thats down the road, i normally hear it around midnight to early am like 5-6am, ive heard it pop out of the either like its been switched on also been present when its switched off, yeah ive noticed the sound suddenly stop!! and its also been only about the last 10yrs or so ive been able to hear it.

      other things ive notice are what sound like speech being carried over it, to me i think its very high freq (giga/tera hrtz) and a very high amplitude signal carrier with very low frequency modulation (a few hertz), this low frequency modulation rattle loose items in my room and that's what amplify the speech, almost imperceivable, and ive only heard it a couple of times.
      that damn "hum" makes my skin crawl (hence my thoughts of it being at very high frequency) and keeps me awake at night.

      i did think i was going mad or something and glad im not the only one to hear it.
    • michael439297
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2010
        It's funny you should say that about hearing speech in the hum. On a few occasions, when I've been dozing in bed in the early morning, surrounded as usual by my high pitched, vibrating hum, I have thought I heard voices in the static. The first time it happened I thought a radio had come on in the next bedroom and I got up and had a look. Nothing, of course.

        Also a few times in the last few days, I've suddenly felt an intense pressure on my ears, almost unbearable, but then it gradually fades out.

        We all seem to live in a twilight world of our own personalised hums and vibrations on this site but I don't think any of us are mad.

        I like that quote further back:

        "Only the sensitive and highly evolved hear the hum."

        C'est moi!!

        Love from Lynn

      • patty94@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2010
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "michael439297" <mspro69@...> wrote:

          > It's funny you should say that about hearing speech in the hum. On a few occasions, when I've been dozing in bed in the early morning, surrounded as usual by my high pitched, vibrating hum, I have thought I heard voices in the static. The first time it happened I thought a radio had come on in the next bedroom and I got up and had a look. Nothing, of course.
          >
          > Also a few times in the last few days, I've suddenly felt an intense pressure on my ears, almost unbearable, but then it gradually fades out.
          >
          > We all seem to live in a twilight world of our own personalised hums and vibrations on this site but I don't think any of us are mad.
          >
          > I like that quote further back:
          >
          > "Only the sensitive and highly evolved hear the hum."
          >
          > C'est moi!!
          >
          > Love from Lynn
          >
          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "dasraiser" <dasraiser@> wrote:
          > >
          > > so i live in the uk, isle of wight and i too hear the "hum",
          > > to me it sounds like a car on tick over thats down the road, i normally hear it around midnight to early am like 5-6am, ive heard it pop out of the either like its been switched on also been present when its switched off, yeah ive noticed the sound suddenly stop!! and its also been only about the last 10yrs or so ive been able to hear it.
          > >
          > > other things ive notice are what sound like speech being carried over it, to me i think its very high freq (giga/tera hrtz) and a very high amplitude signal carrier with very low frequency modulation (a few hertz), this low frequency modulation rattle loose items in my room and that's what amplify the speech, almost imperceivable, and ive only heard it a couple of times.
          > > that damn "hum" makes my skin crawl (hence my thoughts of it being at very high frequency) and keeps me awake at night.
          > >
          > > i did think i was going mad or something and glad im not the only one to hear it.

          Hi Lynn and All; I liked that quote too. I've heard the odd second or two of what seemed like a two way phone call, music (which my husband said he heard too) and once I heard someone say thats not quite right and the voice was gone the intonation sounded like someone teaching. How freaky is that! It really made me wonder about myself, so I'm glad you all mentioned it, now I don't feel as bad.
          The HUM has been making my nervous system crawl and I still wish it would at least keep to a shedule. I had read on a web site that the Canadian Military uses the radiowaves to help troops stay awake at night when they are in training. magdahavas.com has some interesting new reading on her web site. The information has to do with the dangers of microwaves and what the russians knew back in the seventies and a new article from Henry Lai who has written on the Microwave Auditory effect.
          Hoping we all learn to get some sleep
          Patty
        • andrea
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2010
            Hi Everyone,

            Well, I have a pretty generic question but hoping to get a better grip on it.. What happens when you plug up your ears? Do you still hear it? I'm at the point now where it have been so loud and annoying at night that I will cover my ears up like that kid from Home Alone back years ago.. sometimes it seems that I can still hear something, just at another pitch, and sometimes no..

            The vibrations are what make me think it's coming from inside my ears I think..

            OK, well onwards we go anyway right?

            Pressing on in NC regardless of my HUM.

            Andrea

          • Lesley Fellows

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 7, 2010
                i have to say, when i plug my ears with my fingers i can hear it, but if i pull out my fingers a little to create a slight vacuum it almost goes.
              • yewie56
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2010
                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "dasraiser" <dasraiser@...> wrote:

                  > i have to say, when i plug my ears with my fingers i can hear it, but if i pull out my fingers a little to create a slight vacuum it almost goes.

                  This is really interesting. I can confirm this from Germany.

                  If i plug it totally, the the bones conduction takes place. If I open it totally, air conduction ( and resonance? ) takes over.

                  The way between reduces most. There are drummer (musicans) ear plugs with exchangeable inlets with different hole sizes.

                  Could be, that this can give more help. I will investigate this ...

                  Greeting from Germany

                  yewie56
                • mack_colin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2010
                    Interesting reading.

                    SPEECH
                    I have never hear speech being heard in any of the hum comments over the last few years, thats a new one. Its usually just a droning sound with a vibration to it.

                    It is possible that speech can be heard over the radio waves via tooth fillings that are loose, so get your fillings checked out.

                    VACCUME EFFECT (pulling finger out of ear)
                    You would get that effect also going on an aeroplane or taking a car above 2000 feet, over a mountain pass.

                    Your ears will click due to pressure, and if you change pressure on on the eardrums, then your eardrums will not vibrate, and for a second or two you will be deaf in that ear, and hear nothing from it.

                    I have noticed this during a conversation when it happens, there is a sudden gap in the speech.

                    Cheers Colin Mack, Scotland.
                  • Jerry Cummings
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 8, 2010
                      I was going to mention the tooth fillings and radio waves, but didn't want the thread degenerate into "another" quest for the hum via tooth fillings.
                      But, of course, you are right about the radio waves and the fillings - NOTHING to do with the "hum".

                      At 10:52 AM 11/8/2010, you wrote:

                      Interesting reading.

                      SPEECH
                      I have never hear speech being heard in any of the hum comments over the last few years, thats a new one. Its usually just a droning sound with a vibration to it.

                      It is possible that speech can be heard over the radio waves via tooth fillings that are loose, so get your fillings checked out.

                      VACCUME EFFECT (pulling finger out of ear)
                      You would get that effect also going on an aeroplane or taking a car above 2000 feet, over a mountain pass.

                      Your ears will click due to pressure, and if you change pressure on on the eardrums, then your eardrums will not vibrate, and for a second or two you will be deaf in that ear, and hear nothing from it.

                      I have noticed this during a conversation when it happens, there is a sudden gap in the speech.

                      Cheers Colin Mack, Scotland.

                      "It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe