Re: one hum sound sorted out

  • patty94@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "michael439297" <mspro69@...> wrote:
      >Dear Lyn; I was just wondering whether the HUM had stopped for you also during the most recent torrential rains in Scotland?
      Patty
> [...]
      > > so I suspect people won't be going out so much, to save money, and that has
      > > a knock-on effect....
      > > less activity...hopefully less background noise.....
      > > well, we can live in hope....
      > > (except that people will probably buy more noisy gadgets, to avoid paying
      > > for a contractor to do work....)
      > > The roads around here are getting saturated, trying to drive around is
      > > scarey....people's behaviour is deteriorating, and so many mistakes are being
      > > made....yet the speed cameras are being turned off....
      > > Traffic , especially cars, seem to be clogging up the roads more and more,
      > > so that's one thing that definitely seems to be getting worse....people and
      > > businesses are being encouraged into the area, yet the infrastructure is
      > > overloaded already.....
      > > Sometimes you feel as if you are taking your life in your hands, driving
      > > around here !
      > > Thank goodness for all night Asda ! Conditions revert to calm and
      > > 'civilised' then !
      > > Well , regarding background noise, I wouldn't mind if the total volume of
      > > air travel decreased....we really noticed the lack of background noise
      > > when the local airport was closed....much nicer !
      > > When you think about it, a busy airport has so many extra bits of activity
      > > surrounding it,
      > > all the staff, and passengers having to get to and from the planes in cars
      > > and taxis...
      > > so when it stops, the general din decreases....just like when the schools
      > > have their holidays,
      > > the roads are not so crowded....much easier.... I just think all that
      > > rushing around must add to background LFN.....but one good thing is that many
      > > modern cars are a lot quieter, except of course when the young 'yobbos' fit
      > > deliberately noisy exhausts on, and go racing around like maniacs.....
      > > all part of the selfish behaviour...it doesn't matter to them as long as
      > > they are enjoying themselves....
      > >
      > > Anyway, so glad the man with the power washer realised what a din his
      > > gadget made :
      > > but now he knows, maybe he will try to get his jobs done as quickly as
      > > possible, and that will help you.
      > > But isn't it far worse when you don't know what's causing the nuisance
      > > noise ?
      > > A pal of mine had a neighbour who often ran a 'hot tub' out in the garden,
      > > and that made a really nasty hum....
      > > (daft, isn't it, we perfect lovely bathrooms indoors over centuries,
      > > then people want to sit in a bath outside !
      > > Like cookers, all the modern efficient cookers available, and what do they
      > > do ?
      > > Light a fire outside and have a BBQ ! Ah well....!)
      > > But people often just don't have any idea what harm they are causing with
      > > their noise.....
      > > I hope that over time, the acoustic environment will be recognised
      > > as very important to people's long term health.

    • Donna Few
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
        Hi Patty et. al,

        It's been a while since I've posted.  I've been busy.  I agree with some of the sentiments I've just read. Hey, speaking of the hellish HUM.  Through my publishing company, I plan to share a poem which summarizes  some of the suffering experienced by us Hum hearers.  Stay tuned!

        Donna

> [...]

        > > gadget made :
        > > but now he knows, maybe he will try to get his jobs done as quickly as
        > > possible, and that will help you.
        > > But isn't it far worse when you don't know what's causing the nuisance
        > > noise  ?
        > > A pal of mine had a neighbour who often ran a 'hot tub' out in the garden,
        > > and that made a really nasty hum....
        > > (daft, isn't it, we perfect lovely bathrooms indoors over centuries,
        > > then people want to sit in a bath outside !
        > > Like cookers, all the modern efficient cookers available, and what do they
        > > do ?
        > > Light  a fire outside and have a BBQ ! Ah well....!)
        > > But people often just don't have any idea what harm they are causing with
        > > their noise.....
        > > I hope that over time, the acoustic environment will be recognised
        > > as very important to people's long term health.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)